Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 10:16   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
reverse osmosis

Has anyone installed an under sink reverse osmosis system, with it's own faucet at galley sink for drinking water only? We currently have a 90 Gal aluminum water tank that we prefer not to drink straight out of, lets not go down the rabbit hole of why we chose not to!!
There are several type filter systems however I think the RO will give the best results from my research, plus I once had one installed in my house at one time so I know they work great, residentially speaking.
Just wondering if there would be anything from a boat perspective I am not seeing that would prevent me from going that route. Getting a bit tired of filling and stowing water containers on board.
Changing the internal tank (under floor) would be major surgery so just looking for a simpler method of being able to filter my on board tank water for consumption.
The RO kits are relatively inexpensive around $400 CAD, so a economical way to go if doable.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 10:31   #2

Re: reverse osmosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Has anyone installed an under sink reverse osmosis system, with it's own faucet at galley sink for drinking water only?
Under-sink RO systems are inefficient, something in the order of 90% reject water to 10% product water. So you would net about 9 gallons of drinking water out of your 90 gallon tank.

Assuming potable tap water goes into your tank, you could filter it for sediment and chlorine while filling it, and filter it again for taste when dispensing it.

If you are sailing in fresh water, then you might make a domestic RO system work as part of your purification system, but you still need to sanitize the water coming out of the lake before feeding into the RO.
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 11:09   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The manatees only drink beer. What’s this RO ...short for roll out the barrel ?
OK nuff fooling around. Charcoal filter. We are not current on the latest water makers for small boats.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 13:35   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Some new point of use (POU) ro systems are very efficient (99%+) depending on the system.

One issue would be do you have enough pressure to get water through the membrane efficiently? Many may want >40psi, so check each system specs for there operating psi. Simple solution may be to install a booster pump just before the ro system to get the higher psi.
If you are only trying to stop bacteria, etc. either a filter ~0.1 micron would filter them out or a inline UV light would do the job. For better tasting water and block bacteria, could get a 0.1 micron filter w/carbon.

Here is a link to an overview paper on POU drinking water treatments.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osmosis, reverse osmosis