Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2019, 11:09   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Reservations: dockwa vs. snagaslip

Mods: move if there is a more specific forum...

I use dockwa to reserve slips sometimes. I have gotten emails recently from snagaslip, which I am assuming is a new competitor?

Anyone using both of these and would give some comments on reserving mooring/slips.

When I have used dockwa, I always still call the marina to make sure they really do have space. Even though I have loaded in my draft and beam etc. in the profile, because I have a cat I want to make sure if it is a dock, it is and end dock, long dock or T dock to accommodate me. However, even if I didn't have a beam constraint, I think I would still call, I don't think this technology is perfect yet.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 13:36   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Reservations: dockwa vs. snagaslip

Dockwa seems to have been first out of the gate. They've built up a pretty big list of participating marinas. A newcomer would have to convince all those marinas to sign up with them, too.

I'd wait and see.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 18:29   #3

I've complained about dockwa extensively here and how much I hate it. These apps/websites are worthless because you still have to call and talk to a human at some point either way on the cell phone or VHF. They don't give a slip assignment. They don't ask if you want a port or starboard side tie. They are a complete waste of time and just complicate what was a very easy procedure.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 05:15   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I've complained about dockwa extensively here and how much I hate it. These apps/websites are worthless because you still have to call and talk to a human at some point either way on the cell phone or VHF...They are a complete waste of time and just complicate what was a very easy procedure.
Oh, yeah. Totally agree. I'd much rather call and work things out with a human. I've also heard complaints about getting a refund if needed, and that Dockwa charges your credit card before you arrive, rather than after. As you say, the whole process inserts unneeded extra steps and leaves out that important personal interaction.

But my biggest complaint is one that Dockwa isn't directly responsible for.

I just hate the whole idea of making reservations. The most dangerous thing you can have on a boat is a schedule. I'd much rather check the weather in the morning and make plans for the day, THEN call around for options.

I understand that, for popular destinations, that's becoming unworkable. There's a place near us we like to go for an overnight or two sometimes. In the past it's been first-come-first-serve. If you arrive and they're full, there really are no other good options. They just started using Dockwa and I have to admit, I like not having to second-guess how crowded it might be, or worrying about not having room. I may even be able to plan a weekend getaway in advance now. Previously I'd only go mid-week, or if I thought the weather might keep others away.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:37   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I've complained about dockwa extensively here and how much I hate it. These apps/websites are worthless because you still have to call and talk to a human at some point either way on the cell phone or VHF. They don't give a slip assignment. They don't ask if you want a port or starboard side tie. They are a complete waste of time and just complicate what was a very easy procedure.

I must use it a lot differently then you. I don’t call to get a slip assignment until I am a few minutes away. I like to make the reservation a day or two earlier so I know whether to even go to that area. Not having to call to make that first reservation is a big plus for me as is the not having to go to the office and check in and pay since they already have your info and payment.
To say that the reservation process by phone was “an easy procedure “ was not my experience at all.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 13:45   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

No experience using either but when I tried to make in-person reservations at Old Port Marina in Pal Beach area I was told I HAD to use Dockwa.
Old 19-12-2019, 14:19   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

None w snagaslip, but have used dockwa a few times with no issues. Most recent was in NY, marina office was closed, but was able to use dockwa to reserve a mooring.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:25   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use Dockwa frequently because many of the marinas in the Chesapeake Bay use them (including my home marina). Never had an issue.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:55   #9

I use Dockwa personally and we use it at the YC I belong to. You can request a call back from the marina by entering the information in special instructions. Some one must look at the reservation as it will not auto-confirm. Ask for a conformation on the CHAT feature of Dockwa. Ask for a slip assignment in advance. If you have special requirements such as beam list it in this section. I generally never make an advanced reservation until that day because of the cancellation policy of some marinas vary. The cancellation policy is not controlled by Dockwa but the marina itself. If you are not getting prompt return of you deposits on a cancellation it is because the marina has not signed off on the refund. I think Dockwa really fill a need.
Alan W Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 15:13   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Some places you just have to use online booking. Ive used dockwa and even cancelled with no problem. My problem is that you dont see lots of good choices, which im sure will continue to improve.

Face it, us old (me me that much) need to understand this is how its going to be
Old 22-12-2019, 19:13   #11

Boat: Sabre 402

Clubs and marinas have found that it is cost-effective to use a reservations system like Dockwa. They don’t have to pay someone to field inane questions from non-customers, and can put staff on the docks to catch lines and pump fuel instead of answering phones. When they have a actual customer they can send an email confirmation whenever they have a lull in real boat traffic and it only takes 0.03 seconds. If you need to worry about which side your fenders and lines have to go more than fifteen minutes before you tie up, perhaps you need a smaller boat that doesn’t take fifteen minutes to rig up the gear.

Have never heard of Snagaslip. Is this a form of advertising for them?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock