Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 15:17   #1

Boat: Irwin 38
Replacing the floor in the head

I need to replace the floor in the head of my boat, a 1976 Irwin 38 aft cockpit. The only thing I have is what appears to be 1/4 thick solid white plastic pieces that were probably assembled into a pan. No idea if original or not. They seem like 1/4 solid melamine? It's def not starboard and it is solid... no core... and brittle. No idea if original or not. But I know I want something sturdier.

The pieces are all apart and removed, and I'm down to the inner hull. In addition, the framing below the door is rotted and therefore disconnected from the hull below.

Questions: I assume the original floor was a fiberglas pan. Any other suggestions as to what the original might have been?

Suggestions for rebuilding? I'll need to tab the floor to patch and re-attach the door frame. Any experience with repairs like that? The inner hull slopes quite a bit toward the sump/bilge end off the head. Not sure if I should make the new floor/pan level or let it slope.

Any thoughts on leveling the slope with concrete and tiling the floor? Tile up the sides a couple inches over the wood at the base of the bulkhead, vanity and lower door frame?

Finally, shower sump or drain to bilge? I prefer separate sump but I do not plan upon using the shower so may allow to go into bilge.

No pics yet, but will take some soon. Thanks folks!
SV Aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 16:38   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Replacing the floor in the head

Ask this guy, Gene Gammon, he knows almost everything about Irwins
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 09:27   #3

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch
Re: Replacing the floor in the head

Tagged for follow up! I recently had to cut out the floor in the aft head of my Morgan 41 OI ketch. Am in a similar situation. Considering using starboard and constructing reinforcement stringers under the floor with a sump set up. Will put up pics when I get a min.

Tags
head