Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 09:45   #16

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Re: Replacing curtains and curtain rods on older sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I removed the curtains, rod, and hardware. Nice and clean. No place for the spiders to hide. Lets in lots of light during the day, unobstructed view out at night. Curtains are for at home on land.
Unfortunately, "Lets lots of light in during the day." Is about half the problem. Light = heat & fading, so we do want to reduce that at least slightly. Also, pretty hard to use certain seats in the cabin during a bright day due to glare and sun in your eyes.

A little less concerned about "privacy" even in a marina as ours is all but deserted on weekdays.

Curtains can help reduce the temptation of would-be petty theives. Having to "hide" everything of value when you're gone is a pain, and out if sight is out of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4190 View Post
I went with these CloZures. http://www.zarcor.com/index_marine.php
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:50   #17

Thanks for all the GREAT ideas everyone! This is definitely a starting point and the "flexible" curtain rod concept (stretchy cord in any one of several forms) sounds like the winning idea.

On another positive note, having nice curtains will help reduce the urgency of replacing all of the crazed deadlight acrylic and (expensive) Lewmar portlights.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18   #18

Get rid of rods. There are T tracks/sliders made if you need. Or simple Velcro with small covers for each port might be nice. It's usually only at the dock on one side that is needed and how much time do you spend aboard at the dock?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 15:02   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ValiantV,

You're on a good track about the curtains. I want to warn you for when you replace the acrylic in your ports: do not use any ammonia based window cleaner on acrylic: it promotes the crazing. I discovered this the wrong way, in a moment of laziness... Only really damaged one port light, one misuse.

Ann
Old 07-06-2017, 16:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Get rid of rods. There are T tracks/sliders made if you need. Or simple Velcro with small covers for each port might be nice. It's usually only at the dock on one side that is needed and how much time do you spend aboard at the dock?
The "T" tracks, flimsy sliders, and custom/proprietary curtains and hardware are one if the main reasons I'm exploring alternatives. Perhaps the high-end yachts have better hardware, and folks who can afford them can spring for new curtains at $1,000 a pop when they fade, but our poor little Catalina has some pretty lightweight hardware - about like a Winnebago of the same vintage.

25 years of Louisiana heat has taken a heavy toll on the original tracks, and they have pretty much lived out their lifespan. Time to retire them.
Old 07-06-2017, 16:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
ValiantV,

You're on a good track about the curtains. I want to warn you for when you replace the acrylic in your ports: do not use any ammonia based window cleaner on acrylic: it promotes the crazing. I discovered this the wrong way, in a moment of laziness... Only really damaged one port light, one misuse.

Ann
Heard that, so will be careful to use only recommended cleaners on the new plastic deadlights and ports. The old ones look to be beyond salvaging. I'll prolly replace the Lewmar port acrylics - as they still (supposedly) sell the parts even though they're prolly fairly pricey. The deadlights look like a bear to get out (recessed and glued in) so that will likely wait for some serious inspiration.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat