Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 14:37   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35
Removing/Installing Prop Shaft on Cheoy Lee Perry 35

Anyone? Bueller?

What has to happen to get the prop in with the skeg in the way?Click image for larger version

Name:	1558215342871.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	192284
Billy Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:44   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Removing/Installing Prop Shaft on Cheoy Lee Perry 35

I propose to do what you did to remove it, but in reverse order :-), That at least is what they always say on iFixit and other similar sites.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:50   #3

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I can help lol! With mine, I pulled the engine off the mounts and moved it to one side as I slid the shaft in from the engine area out. It won’t go in from outside the boat. Or at least, not in my experience. Depending on your engine, you may be able to disconnect the tranny and fit it by but lifting the engine isn’t that hard. I put a beam across the companionway hatch and use a chainfall from there.
Good luck!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
Anyone? Bueller?

What has to happen to get the prop in with the skeg in the way?Attachment 192284
On a properly made boat, the drive train is offset a few degrees so you can pull the shaft out past the skeg.

Assuming some idiot built this boat with the shaft center lined in front of the skeg, sometimes the only solution is to pull the engine. Stupid.

The worst example of this I have ever seen had the prop so close to the skeg the only way to pull the prop off was to move the engine forward off its mounts. Stupid squared.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
I can help lol! With mine, I pulled the engine off the mounts and moved it to one side as I slid the shaft in from the engine area out. It won’t go in from outside the boat. Or at least, not in my experience. Depending on your engine, you may be able to disconnect the tranny and fit it by but lifting the engine isn’t that hard. I put a beam across the companionway hatch and use a chainfall from there.
Good luck!
Oh boy Shoalcove!!!! Have you ever dealt with the outward stern tube housing?
Old 18-05-2019, 16:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
Oh boy Shoalcove!!!! Have you ever dealt with the outward stern tube housing?
Do you mean the cutlass bearing? Yup. I have that badge too as I replaced it about 8 years ago. You have a question?
Old 18-05-2019, 16:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
On a properly made boat, the drive train is offset a few degrees so you can pull the shaft out past the skeg.

Assuming some idiot built this boat with the shaft center lined in front of the skeg, sometimes the only solution is to pull the engine. Stupid.

The worst example of this I have ever seen had the prop so close to the skeg the only way to pull the prop off was to move the engine forward off its mounts. Stupid squared.
In my opinion, Chevy Lee was a decent yard and Bob Perry is an excellent designer. Sure, it would have been easier to be able to slide it by the skeg but it was only a couple hours work the other way. I’ve seen way dumber choices on boats than that one 🙃
Old 18-05-2019, 16:22   #8

my Marine Trader had a hole in the rudder that was large enough to allow the prop shaft to pass thru
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 16:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Removing/Installing Prop Shaft on Cheoy Lee Perry 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

Uh, not always.
Island packets or at least mine, the drive shaft is straight, offsetting has its own issues.
On mine what we did was to remove the stern tube, slide it off, and the resulting big hole allowed the shaft to move to the side enough to slide it right out.
Two bolts, and certainly a lot easier than messing with the engine.

I had a “divot” cut into my rudder now so that I can pull the shaft without pulling the tube as the bottom bolt isn’t easy for me to access as I’m not as flexible as I used to be.

Prop ought not be an issue, so maybe we are misunderstanding the question as it appears the shaft is out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 17:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Uh, not always.
Island packets or at least mine, the drive shaft is straight, offsetting has its own issues.
On mine what we did was to remove the stern tube, slide it off, and the resulting big hole allowed the shaft to move to the side enough to slide it right out.
Two bolts, and certainly a lot easier than messing with the engine.

I had a “divot” cut into my rudder now so that I can pull the shaft without pulling the tube as the bottom bolt isn’t easy for me to access as I’m not as flexible as I used to be.

Prop ought not be an issue, so maybe we are misunderstanding the question as it appears the shaft is out.
This is good stuff. Thanks to you all for your input.

The shaft is gone because I cut it out today. Some guys in the yard and I decided the only way to get the new one in was the remove the housing to allow for the play you mention. But the housing does not want to budge. It's locked on despite grinding and chipping all the epoxy out. It was rotten anyhow so no downside to replacing the epoxy that I can think of .

Now I'm just wondering whether to push on removing the housing or going with the engine move to get the new shaft in.

Unsire whether to press on pulling it off

Tags
cheoy lee