Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 13:44   #61

Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post
Good morning, all -

I wanted to bounce a protocol/ etiquette question around the forum and try to get some guidance.

At our local marina a few vessels have taking to flying overtly religious and/or political personal signal flags.

Some of the membership have expressed concerns over the content. Other are concerned because the prominence of some of the flags are so great that they are seen from the nearby road and from the water and could give the impression of endorsement.

Our conduct rules only address "lewd" or "inappropriate" flag flying.

Without wanting to get too much in to the opinion side on this, I was hoping that people might be able to link or direct me to some other marinas / clubs policies on the issue so I can see how other places handle this if it comes up.

Thanks for the help.

dergon

Easy .... if the flags cause you discomfort simply organize a peaceful protest in the vicinity of the offending yacht
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C6CD360-77C2-49CC-8F49-60694F1C3772.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	216779  
Old 07-06-2020, 13:51   #62

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

In our marina, except for the Stars and Stripes, the only prominent flag, other than club burgees and the occasional pirate flag, are Trump flags. Following the hoisting of several of those, more Old Glorys were raised high on halyards, back stays and spreaders.
So, I think it will seek and find its own level.
I have no problem with people declaring to whom or to what they pledge their allegiance.
Old 07-06-2020, 14:02   #63

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There is this one character at the local marina and it seems like his flags cover more area on his boat than his sails. He had a few flags which were a wolf on a confederate flag background. I had to look that up. The meaning varies but it's between southern pride and white supremacy and definitely racist. Not exactly what one want's to see at a public marina. And he had political flags too but I won't go there.
Old 07-06-2020, 14:08   #64

Boat: Antares 44i

Let people alone, mate. If you don't like what they are selling, don't buy. There is a particular type of creeping close-mindedness that says, "Not only do I not want to express an opinion, I must stop others from expressing theirs".

Let it go, have a beer. Or better yet, go talk to those people about the proper anchoring technique and really kick off a fight!
Old 07-06-2020, 14:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post
Sure. And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Doesn't get us closer to solving the problem though.

(At no time in history has the act of telling someone to "just calm down" actually caused them to calm down)
Old 07-06-2020, 14:54   #66

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Easy .... if the flags cause you discomfort simply organize a peaceful protest in the vicinity of the offending yacht

Agreed - that's as bad as the guys with AR-15's standing at the steps of state capitols. Intimidation is the hallmark of an outlier.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:07   #67

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemate View Post
Next they will tell you what name you may have on your boat.

Actually, they already do.
Cannot name it Mayday, Fire, SOS, Man Overboard, etc.
For documented vessels, I imagine the USCG will reject some of the more offensive names also.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:29   #68

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

There are a few new flags at my marina not seen here before, as far as I know. Whats the deal with this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_flag.svg.png
Old 07-06-2020, 15:44   #69

There is the one typically popular / non-controversial flag to fly at a marina or on mooring or at anchor, which is the "starboard" manoeuvering signal pennant (a pennant with a white field, and green hoist and fly).

Purpose-made gin pennants often take the form of a starboard pennant defaced with a wine, cocktail, or martini glass (typically green, sometimes gray or black) on the field.

Another variant described is a small triangular flag in solid green, defaced with a white cocktail or wine glass.

Just be prepared to offer non-alcoholic refreshments as well as the "sundowners", or perhaps make it a hosted Bring Your Own Beverage event.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SpecialSignalPennant-Starboard-USNSpec.svg.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	216803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gin_Pennant_-_starboard_pennant_with_martini_glass.svg (1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	216804  

Name:	1920px-Gin_Pennant_-_triangular_green_with_chalice.svg.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	216805  
Old 07-06-2020, 16:19   #70
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

This will also die down after November. Perhaps it is simpler just to squint until then.

Yes, the obnoxiousness factor can be severe. That is the cost of a free country. Sometimes I hate it.
Old 07-06-2020, 16:35   #71

Advertising on sails? "Colourful" or ideological images on a spinnaker? Offensive names on boats e.g. "Piston Broke". Where does it start and end? Might I suggest, with a responsible attitude.
Flying any flag is the act of making a clear conspicuos statement. Often the statement is for the benefit of others e.g. flying the yellow "seeking quarantine" flag. But it is often assumed by others that the flag may be a statement that the owner's somewhat limited view of the world is on display. "Boasting" as opposed to "boating"? Some may actually intend offense or be interpreted as such. There are some pretty small minds out there.
Old 07-06-2020, 16:40   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Just one more reason not to stay at a marina.
Old 07-06-2020, 17:08   #73

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Interesting discussion.

The OP states this is a "private" yacht club. Indeed, "private clubs" can make rules for their members, but those rules must apply equally and be non-discriminatory. Some have suggested that as a private club you can make your own rules, but it should also be noted that many yacht clubs would fail the legal threshold tests for "private club." Here is a good legal paper on Private Club Legitimation with a discussion of threshold tests beginning on page 419.

For example, a yacht club that allows guests to purchase food or items at the club store, or allow temporary moorage to non-members would likely fail the legal threshold test for an exclusive "private club."

IMHO, a pirate flag is no more offensive than a Gadsden flag or a LGBT pride flag. Why am I not offended? Because I am not offended by flags/symbols that some people choose to fly/put on their boats or their homes or on their cars. A "Beer Time" burgee is no more or less offensive than a yacht club burgee, or a Knights of Columbus burgee.

Yes, there are some symbols we as a society have decided are signs of "hatred" and "oppression." A swastika painted on the side of a synagogue is a symbol of hatred and something I strongly oppose. But, I am also a philatelist, and I have a collection of German stamps from 1871 through 1945. I don't view the stamps (specifically from 1933 to 1945) as symbols of hatred no more than the Japanese Imperial postage stamps issued during the same period.

If I saw a boat with a German Reich flag, a Emperial Japanese flag, or a ISIS flag I would think to myself..."that person is an idiot," and steer well clear of them (I'd probably alert the USCG if someone flew an ISIS flag from their vessel ). Do I condone the display of such flags; absolutely not! But, at the same time I don't allow myself to be personally offended, or emotionally scarred by such petty nonsense and other people's stupidity.

WRT to political or religious flags on a boat I think it is silly, but it is not offensive; at least not to me. If someone is deeply offended by political or religious symbols they likely need psychiatric help. People may not agree with a political message or policy, or religious beliefs, but if someone is so deeply disgusted and emotionally distraught over a non-violent political or religious flag I would suggest they are teetering on the verge of mental instability. (That is my layman's opinion since I am not a head-shrink.)

It is indeed unfortunate that many people in American society have become so consumed with such bitter and vehement hatred that a symbol or flag would enrage someone to the point of genuine anger, or cause deep emotional distress.

It is also unfortunate that some people feel compelled to restrict the free and open expression of political and religious symbols to only those they agree with, or with which they themselves do not find "offensive."

I have friends of many races, many backgrounds, and of course, those with different political opinions. Even though we may disagree on some things we still respect each other because of things we have in common, the willingness and openness to listen and debate differing viewpoints honestly and intellectually, and because our friendships are more important then some politician or other trivial nonsense. Also, because we are mature adults who are not hyper-emotional, overly-judgmental, or so socially insecure that we think our opinion is always 'right' and everyone who doesn't completely agree with that opinion is absolutely 'wrong.'
Old 07-06-2020, 18:21   #74

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
There are a few new flags at my marina not seen here before, as far as I know. Whats the deal with this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_flag.svg.png
Look up Gadsden Flag.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:06   #75

Please think back to the last president's time in office. I recall seeing his banner fly everywhere! I didn't vote for him either time but I put up with these banners for eight years without complaint. This is FIRST amendment territory. When the otherside wins you dont have to like it but if you love our country you better not complain about someone exercising the right to freely express their opinion just as you did. This is what I and many of my family served in the military to defend.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, commercial, flags