Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 11:45   #106

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

" Water in the fuel? Doesn't just happen unless something breaks. "

I respectfully have to disagree. Water in the fuel is a very common problem on land and sea when is sits around for a long time. I dont know where to look for the stats, but I will bet most sailboats that have been lost were lost because of engine failure due to bad/wet fuel. Does anybody know the actual numbers?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 11:52   #107

"Torn sail? Right, that's a problem with not having a deck watch, one guy can't be everywhere and that means things may go unobserved. A second crew could have stayed on deck and might have cuaght that."

This man was, as many of us do, sailing alone. So, in addition to purging his fuel system and communicating on the radio none of us know what other distractions he faced. As a rule though, sails do not simply tear without sufficient wind to cause the sail to tear. However, a sail maker once told me slatting is a primary source of sail damage. Reducing sail is the best way I have found to minimize slatting. If not for the purpose of preventing damage to the sail, at least to prevent me from going mad.

Because I was alone, have a hanked on jib and judged it too dangerous given the conditions to go forward - I've watched the jib flog knowing full well repairs would be required. You cannot always do what is necessary to save sails from damage.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 11:54   #108

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Well as somebody who is still in the building part of sailing I have found this thread very informative.Yet again thinking of redundancy issues is what i get from this as I am about to start the wiring/ electrical part of the build shortly.

As someone who still has stars in his eyes, these real life situations and the possible outcomes/actions are invaluable to those of us who know buggger all.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:03   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
" Water in the fuel? Doesn't just happen unless something breaks. "

I respectfully have to disagree. Water in the fuel is a very common problem on land and sea when is sits around for a long time. I dont know where to look for the stats, but I will bet most sailboats that have been lost were lost because of engine failure due to bad/wet fuel. Does anybody know the actual numbers?
Not only sail boats. A visit to the maritime museum in Port Elizabeth, South Africa indicates numerous vessels that have foundered and sunk off the South African coast had engine failure. While it is probable the engine failure occurred while trying to maintain control in a storm, with potentially huge seas, this information is rarely mentioned. We are fortunate to have sails if the auxiliary diesel should fail. Still, absent wind - we are vulnerable to being carried by current and waves onto the rocks or reef. A good reason to have an inflatable with an engine sufficiently sized to move the boat away from any hazard.

A major shortcoming for sailors like myself who use rowing dingies or kayaks for the family car.

Have been very thankful on a couple of occasions for assistance I received from other sailors with the inflatable and engine described above.
Old 31-07-2013, 12:09   #110

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

As already some of you recognize, I was out there, I analyzed for several hours my decision. The rest, I will not discuss with none. I'm not Worldchamp in sailing and I don't expose my knowledge here. Good thing, I head for Mexico, where my boat stranded and appearantly in prety good shape...
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:18   #111

Boat: 55' Romsdal

My regrets for the loss of the OP's boat. No way to look at it other than as a tragedy.

In reading through this thread, I am somewhat surprised at how folks approach safety at sea these days. Before we used to head out into blue water I would always ask myself whether we were prepared to be upside down, and what would I have to deal with if that happened. I thought through jury rigging if we lost the mast, and we certainly would never have dreamed of depending on GPS or any electronics to survive. And does no one use a sextant anymore? I have mine handy even though of course GPS and electronic charting is so convenient. But I assume we will lose it, and assume that our other electronics will be fried because I don't like the idea of being helpless.

In our current boat, I'm quite happy that we have a non electronic, mechanically injected motor that if I can keep clean fuel will run longer than I will. Because clean fuel is mission critical, we have the ability to polish, transfer, etc. with backup pumps because again, I assume the worse. Isn't that what we're supposed to do to be responsible mariners?

The best advice I can give is the same advice others have given: Only step up into your life raft, never down into it.

On reliance on electronics, this is worth a read:

Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoided | WashingtonExaminer.com

I'm not trying to be critical, just wondering where self-reliance at sea went to.
Old 31-07-2013, 12:18   #112

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
As already some of you recognize, I was out there, I analyzed for several hours my decision. The rest, I will not discuss with none. I'm not Worldchamp in sailing and I don't expose my knowledge here. Good thing, I head for Mexico, where my boat stranded and appearantly in prety good shape...
Awesome news
Old 31-07-2013, 12:19   #113

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
thats the spirit mate, hope you find her.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:20   #114
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
The rest, I will not discuss with none.
You should save yourself some heartache and put this thread on your ignore list.
Old 31-07-2013, 12:25   #115
PSX

Serenity, 7/30/13 - on the reef
approx. 18*20'.5 N, 87*40' W, ~5 miles north of Xcalak Mxco
Glad to know the capt & crew are OK.
Local authorities not too happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailboat.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	64920  
PSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:25   #116

Quote:
Congratulations. Glad she was found, and you'll get her back.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:33   #117
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Matt, you totally misread what I said. So let's try it again.

Water in diesel fuel is a common problem, but like flies being spontaneously generated from rotten meat--it doesn't just happen.

Someone has to lay the eggs, flies don't just come out of meat.

Water doesn't "just happen" in diesel fuel, it always gets in as a contaminant, and it only gets into your fuel tank if you let it.

The mythical prudent mariner, you know, the guy they talk about on all the nav charts? Will never, never, simply dump fuel into his tanks without tanking some precautions to check what is going in. That probably has to be a filter funnel when you can't trust your source.

Diesel engines don't need much of an excuse to pack up and die, and anyone who allows any assumptions about their fuel or fuel tank, is going to find that out eventually. Bought a boat? Looked inside the tank? If you didn't, you can't trust it. You have to assume there's crud that will come off and jam the filter and kill your engine in the first rough water. Buying diesel? Unless it comes in shiny plastic soda bottles, you can't presume it is safe to put in the tank, either.

If you are buying from a clean and shiny high-volume fuel station that looks like they take care of their tanks, and you are going to remain in areas covered by a prepaid tow service, sure, by all means assume the fuel is good. It often is.

But heading offshore? Fueling in, ah, backwater towns where standards may not be so high? Come on now. Water in the fuel tank never ever "just happens". There's always a preventable reason why it happens.

Just like flies and maggots in meat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:34   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

lordy! lordy! all the more reason to take an experinced skipper along with you on these passages,rather than ending up with a wrecked boat due to paranoia and inexperince,trying to save a few dollars
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:36   #119

Wonderful!
Old 31-07-2013, 12:42   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
You should save yourself some heartache and put this thread on your ignore list.
You and your ignore list!

What's your count now?

Tags
Honduras, lost, paracelle