Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04   #346
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

"I realize how important it is, to check each and every can of diesel I fuel, so I can detect before filling, if there is water in larger amount." quote op

i think here is a clue as to what really happened,

a classic mistake when filling from cans,looks like the op dumped a whole can of fresh water by mistake into his fuel tank,so the engine problems were self inflicted.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31   #347
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder why the Costa Rica couldn't have helped out with some clean fuel?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43   #348

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Costa Rica????????

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47   #349
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Costa Rica????????
name of the Dole ship that rescued him? mv costa rica
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52   #350

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Costa Rica's fuel was contaminated with water, too!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12   #351

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

I have been lurking on CF for a while now, reading lots of posts trying to learn as much as I can before I buy my first cruiser so that I can start cruising as safely as possible.

I have been reading all the threads about boats going missing etc so I can prepare myself for what might happen. Rather than put me off the idea of cruising this thread has given me a lot of confidence. I already have good enough sailing skills from 15 years sailing beach cats and dinghies. I did the RYA day skipper some time ago so I will need a refresher course on navigation etc. but I am sure even now I could put that boat into a safe harbour on sails alone even with just the main.

I don't have any charts to look at but from google maps I would have headed for the east end of Isla de Roatan (presumably on a beam reach), rounded the point then there are any number bays to shelter in on the south side of the island, as long as there are no reefs there of course. No more than a few hours daylight sailing if he was just 18nms from the island at noon.

I am a complete novice when it comes to cruising but I just don't think I would have abandoned a perfectly good sailboat under the given conditions.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33   #352
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I wonder why the Costa Rica couldn't have helped out with some clean fuel?
I believe the problem was water in the fuel, not dirt. For water, you don't have to change filters, just open the drain under the bowl to get rid of it and you're good to go again.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:35   #353
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post
I have been lurking on CF for a while now, reading lots of posts trying to learn as much as I can before I buy my first cruiser so that I can start cruising as safely as possible.

I have been reading all the threads about boats going missing etc so I can prepare myself for what might happen. Rather than put me off the idea of cruising this thread has given me a lot of confidence. I already have good enough sailing skills from 15 years sailing beach cats and dinghies. I did the RYA day skipper some time ago so I will need a refresher course on navigation etc. but I am sure even now I could put that boat into a safe harbour on sails alone even with just the main.

I don't have any charts to look at but from google maps I would have headed for the east end of Isla de Roatan (presumably on a beam reach), rounded the point then there are any number bays to shelter in on the south side of the island, as long as there are no reefs there of course. No more than a few hours daylight sailing if he was just 18nms from the island at noon.

I am a complete novice when it comes to cruising but I just don't think I would have abandoned a perfectly good sailboat under the given conditions.
You're good to go. Anybody who sailed a dinghy or beach cat for a couple of years would have shouldered the problems the OP had away and sailed to wherever we want to go. Then like said before, may be asked a local for help getting into the anchorage.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37   #354
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I believe the problem was water in the fuel, not dirt. For water, you don't have to change filters, just open the drain under the bowl to get rid of it and you're good to go again.
as long as you catch it in time,before it fills the filter asembly completely and wrecks the injector pump
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40   #355

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post

Sounds to me like you'll do fine. A little common sense, basic planning skills, the ability to visualize problem solutions and a bare modicum of intestinal fortitude will see you through most situations you'll encounter on the way to becoming an expert.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51   #356

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

as long as you catch it in time,before it fills the filter asembly completely and wrecks the injector pump
That's why we use the Racor water blocking filter media.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
An extremely expensive way to fix a sail.

I always have a litre can of Contact Cement on the boat and use that for sail repairs.

Works a treat.

Last tin I bought was aprox $10 and still half full... bought 3 years ago
I rely on this enough to have gone through a couple of cans in the course of a year! Folks who's sails are constantly in use and therefore frequently replaced, will have saved plenty of old sail material to make this kind of quick, long lasting repair.

Highly recommended.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:22   #358

"Gorilla tape sounds interesting, but "Gorilla Glue" was a 100% marketing magic to sell what was really just good urethan furniture glue. (The kind that sets up hard.) So I figure their tape is more marketing magic, probably a good gaffers' tape instead of duct tape. (Gaffers' tape being about 3x the price of duct tape, but with a better adhesive that doesn't leave goo on expensive carpets.) Of course with the riot of colors and patterns that duct tape comes in these days...damn, it just BEGS you to take hostages, so you can wrap 'em up with the pretty stuff!

I've used Gorilla tape for years. Not trying this tape because one 'figure(s) their tape is more marketing magic' like their 'gorilla glue', rather than following up on a post by someone who has actually used the tape is an option, but will not be the 'best choice' option.

Highly recommended.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32   #359

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Gorilla Tape is the best! We ran through our two rolls of it by Cuba and I thought the world would end. Luckily, they carry it in Cayman.... Now we are now stocked up again and ready for the rest of the world!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49   #360
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

1. The OP's main was "slamming back and forth", he is lucky he didn't take the rig down with his accidental gybes
2. Neither paper nor electronic charts are much help getting through the reefs into an anchorage in Roatan, you need a cruising guide because Roatan is poorly charted.
3.The only real danger he was in was due to his proximity to Roatan, but that is not where he was headed, he was headed to Cabo Tres Puntas and if he had made it there he would have easily gotten assistance from a shrimper, or the Guatemalan navy.
4.Or he could have sailed for Puerto Cortes.
5. He never actually lost his instruments, he was using his SSB to call for help.
6.Too many people have suggested here that they would have sailed the last 18 miles to Roatan. This would have been the worst possible choice. You would be much safer by bearing away from land. Roatan has good anchorages all the way around the island but every one of them requires a pass through the reef, none of which are shown on the charts. It is wrong to assume that just because you are in proximity to land, you can head there and find safety. It is actually just the opposite. If he had headed for Roatan that night, his boat would have still ended up on a reef.
7. Delfin, I really like your quote about walking a mile in a man's shoes
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, lost, paracelle