Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 15:39   #286
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
5200 will repair a sail as well, better than I had thought.
An extremely expensive way to fix a sail.

I always have a litre can of Contact Cement on the boat and use that for sail repairs.

Works a treat.

Last tin I bought was aprox $10 and still half full... bought 3 years ago

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:43   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Some would have you believe that all the forums hugs and kisses made it possible.
lol

Okay, I'm officially out of this thread.

To anyone I've disagreed with, I really don't an Internet-beef with anyone and disagreements are part of life. See you all in another thread!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:45   #288

Boat: nothing
Quote:

That would be the prudent thing to do if you don't measure up.
LOL!

Just would rather not witness the contest, thanks.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:45   #289

Quote:
lol

To anyone I've disagreed with, I really don't an Internet-beef with anyone and disagreements are part of life. See you all in another thread!
Bet this isn't the last word!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:47   #290

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, everyone,

I agree it must be horrible to lose your boat, certainly a blow to the ego, and his financial liability for the subsequent cleanup adds to the emotional burden. But, how did all this come about?

Caveat to the OP, none of what I'm about to write should be taken as denigrating you as a person. I'm hoping it may make others think twice or thrice. It is not intended as any kind of putdown. We all begin wherever our experience to date has led, and sometimes we get struck down.

There were other decisions that could have been made that would have served better.
1) secure the torn heads'l on deck [spare stuff for sail mending?]
2) set a different heads'l if able to continue on a safe heading, or proceed under main alone ...These are seamanship issues.
3) the first time he discovered the water in the filters, drain it, then create a source of clean fuel--even a quart or two would see him into dock if he couldn't sail in, as long as he used the sails to get himself there, first.
4) Once in close enough anchor. Hoist the Q flag. Take stock. Assess whether possible to go in by self, or get someone to help. Another seamanship issue, getting to the harbor by sail, could also be a sailing experience issue.

The OP's decision to not sail, and to not set himself with enough clean fuel to get in under his own steam has cost him his boat. That's harsh.

It is very easy, to become overwhelmed emotionally, especially if fatigued, and few of us know how to detach log enough to change from "Beam me up, Scotty", to "I'm gonna solve this SOB!" Of course, experience helps because one has more frames of reference for handling situations, but more mechanical experience would have helped. He really shouldn't have let the batteries get so low, perhaps he hadn't formed a habit of checking his voltmeter once or twice a watch.

The OP may have underestimated the challenges of singlehanding, and maybe that includes really imagining how much being sleep deprived impairs reasoning and how much more difficult it is when you don't have someone with you to talk about the problems with, and how dangerous landfalls are for singlehanders, it's where all the rocky bits are.

Finally, this is only one example of why the "just call for help" strategy is bad training for newbies, in my opinion, because it leads away from necessary self reliance.

Ann
Old 01-08-2013, 15:53   #291

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I haven't read this thread in detail but I didn't see anyone disrespect the OP. We all have strong and weak points and people were just pointing out to the OP that it does take a little "common sense" to safely gain experience. Unfortunately he has little to none of that but who knows, he may "measure up" elsewhere.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:58   #292

Quote:
lol

Come on, its starting to get good.
Old 01-08-2013, 16:04   #293

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

In regards to the 5200 comment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Not only that Mark. The stuff takes at least 4 days to cure. Better have lots of food and water onboard.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:11   #294

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Come on, its starting to get good.
Too late...he's off to the Nina thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:13   #295

I'm curious. From where did this sailor originally embark on his voyage? You don't begin a voyage at Grand Cayman unless you buy a boat there. You must come from somewhere.

How many ports of call did he successfully make?

Did he sail alone the full distance? Given that English is not his first language, could he have sailed the Atlantic?

Maybe someone can sail these distances relying on dumb luck, but most likely they succeed because they have a modicum of knowledge about what's necessary to succeed.

We'll probably never know if he managed all of this because the engine worked getting him in and out of his destinations - to a point. If you've never sailed unassisted by an engine into a port before, the prospect of doing so can be daunting. I don't want to join the chorus of prognosticators. Just want to acknowlege what he may have successfully accomplished before throwing in the towell. He made the call based upon his best judgment, aware of his limits.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:21   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I always have a litre can of Contact Cement on the boat and use that for sail repairs.

Works a treat.

Last tin I bought was aprox $10 and still half full... bought 3 years ago
Lets not over think this issue. Adhesive backed dacron tape or adhesive backed insignia dacron work well for what they were made for, temporary sail repair. Home brews by the unprepared are sketchy at best.
Old 01-08-2013, 16:23   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I'm curious. From where did this sailor originally embark on his voyage? You don't begin a voyage at Grand Cayman unless you buy a boat there. You must come from somewhere.

How many ports of call did he successfully make?

Did he sail alone the full distance? Given that English is not his first language, could he have sailed the Atlantic?

Maybe someone can sail these distances relying on dumb luck, but most likely they succeed because they have a modicum of knowledge about what's necessary to succeed.

We'll probably never know if he managed all of this because the engine worked getting him in and out of his destinations - to a point. If you've never sailed unassisted by an engine into a port before, the prospect of doing so can be daunting. I don't want to join the chorus of prognosticators. Just want to acknowlege what he may have successfully accomplished before throwing in the towell. He made the call based upon his best judgment, aware of his limits.
If he didn't have mortal help I would guess divine intervention.
Old 01-08-2013, 16:30   #298

Sounds like a mess. Ive been offshore with crappy problems so I feel for this guy especially since he hales from Texas! If theres anything I can do for you OP let me know. If you find your boat and need help patching her up/crewing her home let me know.

Scott
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:44   #299

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Scott! The Mexican Government will probably throw the book at him, for "destroying their coral reefs"; heavy fines and jail sentence. If I was in his shoes, I'd stay clear off Mexico, forever; forget about salvaging his boat. Your good deed offer, is commendable and worth noting.

Mauritz
Old 01-08-2013, 16:47   #300

If you had a small craft with an outboard you might have been able to tow it, very slowly of course at perhaps 1 knot.
Cpt.Blood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, lost, paracelle