Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 21:53   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Record for time spent Hove-to

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Japanese sailor Minoru Saito has done eight circumnavigations. I guess he'd hold the record if anyone does.
Bob and Nancy Griffiths did eight circumnavs back in the sixties and seventies. Plenty of others in that range too.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 00:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
And exactly what demons prompted you to be sailing in the Biscay in December?
I had an interesting time, southbound in 'the Biscay' in December once (1965)

A grand piano broke free, and the crew had to lassoo it. (sp?)

And a small boy discovered levitation.

If I waited for the right moment, in the stairwell right aft, by the kids' playroom, over the screws, I could take a run along the corridor and leap up an entire flight of stairs in a couple of bounds, as the ship dropped away.

and then (assuming I'd nailed it) I would have to fall face down on the landing halfway between the two decks in question, like a spider after a protracted session of push-ups,

because the ship would throw her stern into the air, and the screws would race, and my vision would blur as the whole ship shook and shuddered like a horse which has accidentally ingested a wasps' nest....

Standing would be completely out of the question for a few moments, but if I timed it right when I leapt to my feet and turned around, I could bound up most of the remaining half flight before being crushed to the deck again.

And the best thing was, there was nobody at that end of the ship who was authorised to issue a 'cease and desist' notice.

In fact, puzzlingly, there was nobody there whatsoever.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 00:16   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I had an interesting time, southbound in 'the Biscay' in December once (1965)

A grand piano broke free, and the crew had to lassoo it. (sp?)

And a small boy discovered levitation.

If I waited for the right moment, in the stairwell right aft, by the kids' playroom, over the screws, I could take a run along the corridor and leap up an entire flight of stairs in a couple of bounds, as the ship dropped away.

and then (assuming I'd nailed it) I would have to fall face down on the landing halfway between the two decks in question, like a spider after a protracted session of push-ups,

because the ship would throw her stern into the air, and the screws would race, and my vision would blur as the whole ship shook and shuddered like a horse which has accidentally ingested a wasps' nest....

Standing would be completely out of the question for a few moments, but if I timed it right when I leapt to my feet and turned around, I could bound up most of the remaining half flight before being crushed to the deck again.

And the best thing was, there was nobody at that end of the ship who was authorised to issue a 'cease and desist' notice.

In fact, puzzlingly, there was nobody there whatsoever.

Nice. This is a common practice on fishing boats in the Bering Sea. You stand on the foredeck in big waves and jump straight up. If you time it right the boat falls away beneath you and you can jump very very high. Classic way to get hurt, especially if your timing is off in short period waves and the deck is already coming back up when you are coming down...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Record for time spent Hove-to

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
And how does it seem now in retrospect?
Bludi Hilarious..
Seriously.. the boat behaved great.. it was just the days of being wet and cold that got a bit wearing.. but.. on the plus side I discovered Viviero...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 04:25   #50

Boat: Jeanneua 36

Rum is the most important aspect of time hove to, we once hove to for 5 days but we weren't in a hurry and we had to lighten the yacht to get over a bar harbour, my excuse. Bow drogue works better than stern one. To mush strain on the rudder unless steered
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
record