Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 12:26   #1

Recommendations on Pearson Flyer 30" 1981

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and to the sailing world. I am currently taking sailing classes as I have been involved with the ocean all my life but in power boats. I want to buy my first boat and I want it to be a sail boat because it is cheaper to enjoy. I am looking at a refurbished 1981 Pearson Flyer 30". The boat was worked this year in the outside, scraped, fixed, and painted. The sails were bought in 2012 and the riggings and mastiff were changed this year. It is selling for a modest price at $6,000. It has three issues 1) The boat was not painted on the inside and you can see the wear and tear; 2) The engine has not started since march; and 3) The air conditioner is not currently working. My questions is this a good buy? Is fixing the motor and air conditioning expensive? How much would I need to invest in this boat and is it worth it? Is the Pearson Flyer a good sail boat to cruise from Caribbean island to Caribbean island? All comments are welcomed. Thank you
omiguel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 14:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Recommendations on Pearson Flyer 30" 1981

Oh crap, the a/c doesn't work. Walk, no run away from such a serious defect. you might just throw the A/C overboard and buy an awning and hatch windscoop. Amazing how nature can cool you off.

Don't know anything about the boat other than Pearson had a reputation for solid boats but cheap interiors. Be sure the engine runs to your satisfaction before any money changes hands. Paint and varnish are cheap and only takes a little labor to renew. Depends on how much you value your time on whether your willing to pay more for a pristine boat. What condition are the sails in?? That's a BIG expense to buy new if the old ones are worn and blown out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 18:52   #3

Thank you for your comments. Duly noted. I will be attentive with the motor. I have a schedule visit for this Sunday. I haven't seen it but I was told the sails were in good condition as they were bought in 2012. Once again thank you. Themore information I receive before the visit better off I will be.
omiguel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 19:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Not familiar with the Flyer specifically but I like Pearsons in general. Not sure if this a problem on the Flyer but I have seen several Pearsons from the 80s that had a problem with the mast step.

Seems like they used an iron mast step in the bilge and set the aluminum mast right into the iron. After a few years the galvanic reaction between the different metals could eat away the bottom of the mast. I had to pull my mast and cut 3" off the bottom, then replaced the iron step with a 3" higher piece I made out of UHMWPE.

$6000 sounds like a reasonable deal for the boat but maybe not if the engine is dead. I would first try to turn it over to make sure it's not locked up. If it turns over then see if you can get it to crank. What does the owner say about the engine the last time it was run? Did it die or has it just been unused?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 19:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

PS
Forget about the AC in the calculations. If it works it's gravy but I wouldn't let that effect my decision on the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 19:32   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit
My wife and I owned a Pearson Flyer for 10 years on SF bay. It is a fun boat, but it really is not a cruiser. We went on several week long cruises with it out the bay and down to Monterey, etc., so it can be done. It sails like a big 30' dinghy with the big main, fin keel, and outboard unbalanced rudder. You need to play the helm constantly. We did put an autopilot on ours, especially for motoring. I've seen them for a little less, but do not know what shape they were in. If you have to put a lot into the engine, I would look a little harder. The boats have a balsa cored hull and deck, so be sure to check that out. We never had any issues with ours, but something to be aware of. Take a close look at the aluminum plate near the floor where you step into the sail storage area in the bow and look for moisture issues there. It is generally well built, but it is a light boat and designed as a club racer and weekender.

It is not a cruiser by any means. If you are looking for a fun, responsive boat for daysailing, maybe some club racing, and occasionally doing a cruise with decent weather, it is a good boat. If you are looking for an ocean going cruiser, you can do better. I think one did sail in the OSTAR, if I remember correctly, so it can be done (but I'll have to try and verify if my memory is correct on that one), but not something I would personally do!

If you have some other specific questions, I'll try to answer.

Gerhard
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, men