Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 07:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Recent Purchase and Marina Registration Requirement

Hello CF,

How do you handle the dilemma of a boat purchase (used), and wanting to move it to a marina shortly after the sale. Unfortunately part of the marina reservation inquiries is uploading Registration Docs; but given it was just recently closed on those documents are in process with USCG and not presently on hand.

If it matters the vessel is not in US waters and was recently French deflagged as part of purchase.
Beneath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Recent Purchase and Marina Registration Requirement

It sounds like it is up to the marina. Is there a human being you can explain the situation to?
Old 10-02-2022, 07:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
It sounds like it is up to the marina. Is there a human being you can explain the situation to?
I'll be on site Monday and will give that a shot in person. Was curious if this maybe was a normal occurrence and had a set process - but agreed; human element will be attempted.
Beneath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:38   #4

Boat: Tashiba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath View Post
I'll be on site Monday and will give that a shot in person. Was curious if this maybe was a normal occurrence and had a set process - but agreed; human element will be attempted.
My marina wanted a copy of the USCG application and for me to send them the updated documentation when it was completed. I never found any hurdles I couldn't get past with a copy of the application and bill of sale.
Weatherbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:56   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherbird View Post
My marina wanted a copy of the USCG application and for me to send them the updated documentation when it was completed. I never found any hurdles I couldn't get past with a copy of the application and bill of sale.
Despite the French image of stuffy, senseless bureacrats my guess is that this would do the trick. (It better do the trick -- when I bought my most recent boat my documentation service told me that the Coast Guard is currently taking about 6 months to process a boat documentation application).

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:10   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherbird View Post
This. Had same situation. The marina will be familiar with how long it takes to get your Documentation Certificate. Bill of sale. Copy of application and proof of insurance is usually all it takes. Oh and money of course.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:22   #7

If you provide enough documentation and can show registration (USCG or other) pending most Marina's who have employed someone with an active brain should be OK with that. They are going to be mostly interested in you having liability insurance and money.
celle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

If you are boarded, the USCG will accept copies of documents you have filed with their National Vessel Documentation Center as proof of your US pending US Documentation. Yes, the Center is way behind on their paperwork but if the filed documents are good enough as proof for the USCG as a whole, they should be good enough for marina employees. If not, I would file a complaint of this with the Center and the USCG.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, purchase, registration