Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 16:36   #1

Reasonable 3 day charter with Captain

Hello from Minnesota, land of 10,000 taxes.
I have a little bit of a problem hanging around marinas and looking at blue water sail boats as people have suggested in other posts. That will be great fun when we move to any coast, but, for now it is not an option.
My initial thought was to take sailing lessons with my wife so we could both have a wonderful week long vacation in beautiful Florida. The more I read about sailing with weather delays and studying it sounded like it could be more of a grueling trip than a vacation. On to plan "B". Fly to Florida to look at some boats and charter an older boat. Maybe 1980's 35'-40' with a captain to do some off shore sailing. There are lots of luxury charters that are way out of our price range. Then there are the sailing live aboard classes which I decided against. I found a couple of charters that seemed sketchy.
A little back ground on us, I'm 58 and my wife is 55. We have spent many days on small boats on lakes, been on 4 cruises, and never had any issues with getting sick, (yet). Thinking about buying a boat in two years, blue water capable,(maybe Amel). Once we have a boat then having an instructor come on our boat to teach us. Read somewhere that with little experience we would need a captain on board for our first ocean crossing anyway.
So, am I nut's (as my wife say's) or could this work out? Thoughts would be appreciated.
In the meantime, any recommendations for a charter captain/boat?
Thanks, Don
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, charter