Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 11:11   #16

Boat: Dufour 40
Re: Raymarine's Customer Support Stinks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
One question I had related to my RL70C radar. Perhaps you gentlemen might have an insight.

When I'm running the engine the radar works, but shortly after shutting it off, the radar gives me a message that the scanner is not connected. The battery voltage is good at the batteries but clearly not has high as when the high output alternator is charging. I'm guessing that there is a voltage problem, a drop somewhere in the wiring to the radar, but I wanted to check with Raymarine before taking everything apart as it is a big job.

Your thoughts?
I had this problem (2005 system using C120 plotter). After much investigation, dicovered a huge voltage drop as power to scanner was routed through the plotter. I added new cable (6mm) direct from switchboard to base of mast. Problem solved.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:33   #17

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My Raymarine experiences have been positive. When you finally reach a tech they mostly are informed and interested. My equipment is old but good-- A70 Plotter, S-1 Wheel Pilot, St 6002 Autopilot controller, ST60 Wind, ST60 Depth all 10+ years in use. Even when they discontinue support they will look at your old device and fix it if they have the necessary parts.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:58   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
I have a question regarding the appropriate wire gauge to power my Raymarine Radar and my Raymarine Chartplotter, two separate units. So I called the 800 number for technical assistance. I asked the the person who answered who said that such a question was beyond his knowledge level and he transferred me to the correct area. I have now been on hold for 37 minutes!

This company once had great customer support, but I believe it has been acquired by some investment company which is clearly is not interested in customers once it has your $.

Signed:
Frustrated on Hold
Did you buy it online for lowest price from a dealer offering no support?

And now you expect the manufacturer to tutor you?

When you purchase a 2x4 at a lumber yard, does the softwood lumber manufacturer tutor you on how to pound a nail into it?

I'm being a little facetious, but seriously, one of the first recommendations in the 400 and some page manual is to have it installed by a certified installer.

If you don't know what size wire to use, with the information they provide, you prolly don't know way too many things you should know to install something people's lives may depend on.

I think their customer service did you a great service in frustrating you to find someone who knows what they are doing to install it.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:14   #19

I have Raymarine chart plotter, AIS, depth, wind, speed, radar, and GPS electronics for 1 1/2 years. The only problems I've had was from the dealer installation (depth, wind and speed sensors). I installed the chart plotter, AIS, radar and GPS. I addressed problems from dealer installation by contacting Raymarine on their forum. Always interacted with a knowledgeable individual. Very good customer service.
gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:28   #20

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
I have Raymarine chart plotter, AIS, depth, wind, speed, radar, and GPS electronics for 1 1/2 years. The only problems I've had was from the dealer installation (depth, wind and speed sensors). I installed the chart plotter, AIS, radar and GPS. I addressed problems from dealer installation by contacting Raymarine on their forum. Always interacted with a knowledgeable individual. Very good customer service.
Yes, I've seen as many if not more problems from dealers/professional installations than DIYs. I was crew picking up a brand new sailboat with a friend. The delivery person was going over the boat systems and the friend asked "why doesn't the AP have 'wind mode'". The professional summoned his Raymarine engineer who very confidently answered, "This model AP doesn't support that!" I changed the unit from power boat mode to sail boat mode as soon as we left the dock, magically wind mode appeared.

Even Ramblinrod in the above post - he lambastes the OP about DIY installation when if Rod had even read the thread, the OP isn't asking about installation, he's trying to troubleshoot a problem with a most-likely professional installation.

Hire a pro so it'll be done right!!!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:50   #21

Quote:
I have a question regarding the appropriate wire gauge to power my Raymarine Radar and my Raymarine Chartplotter, two separate units. So I called the 800 number for technical assistance. I asked the the person who answered who said that such a question was beyond his knowledge level and he transferred me to the correct area. I have now been on hold for 37 minutes!

This company once had great customer support, but I believe it has been acquired by some investment company which is clearly is not interested in customers once it has your $.

Signed:
Frustrated on Hold
Raymarine was acquired by Flir. They are not an investment company. On the contrary they should be providing better customer service. George G
ggordon1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yes, I've seen as many if not more problems from dealers/professional installations than DIYs. :
These are the things that I found in the "professional" installation and then subsequently fixed.

1. Wire nuts were used to connect wires. Replaced with waterproof crimp connectors.

2. Power wire was tac soldered to 12VDC pin with no strain relief and not fused. Wire eventually broke. Ring connector was added and screwed down to breaker panel.

3. Antenna RF cable and wind sensor cable were crimped between mast head plate and mast. Mast head plate screwed down tight. Wind sensor was intermittent and VHF range was significantly reduced. Replaced both cables and routed them through mast head plate in hole designed for this purpose.

4. Wires to displays in cockpit cowling were laying on the companionway hatch. Wires were being jammed between hatch and deck when hatch was opened. Added pad eye in cowling, then tied up the wires.

5. Two of three displays in cockpit had only 2 of 4 mounting screws.

gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:09   #23

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I have gotten excellent detailed technical service from Raymarine via email, even if the answer was not always what I wanted to hear. Haven't tried telephone - I don't generally have time for that.
I have had decent success with the Raymarine Forums too... there are a few knowledge private people who respond there and there are actual Raymarine techs who respond as well, sometimes the responses are a little on the basic side but they're still responses which sounds like more than you're getting on the phone right now!
Old 17-08-2017, 13:36   #24

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
I have had decent success with the Raymarine Forums too... there are a few knowledge private people who respond there and there are actual Raymarine techs who respond as well, sometimes the responses are a little on the basic side but they're still responses which sounds like more than you're getting on the phone right now!
I've had excellent results using their forum, with questions answered by raymarine techs.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:57   #25

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

In Australia , I would rate Raymarine's service dept. as brilliant.

Suggest you email to them.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:06   #26

Boat: ODAY 28

I have had good results with Raymarine tech, and yes sometimes there is a wait to get threw. there are several wire size apts. and most company's that sell marine wire have a apt to size wire.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 15:06   #27

Boat: Catalina 385

When I call Raymarine customer service I always start by asking a really technical question to get past the first wave of "techs".
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 15:19   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
These are the things that I found in the "professional" installation and then subsequently fixed.

1. Wire nuts were used to connect wires. Replaced with waterproof crimp connectors.

2. Power wire was tac soldered to 12VDC pin with no strain relief and not fused. Wire eventually broke. Ring connector was added and screwed down to breaker panel.

3. Antenna RF cable and wind sensor cable were crimped between mast head plate and mast. Mast head plate screwed down tight. Wind sensor was intermittent and VHF range was significantly reduced. Replaced both cables and routed them through mast head plate in hole designed for this purpose.

4. Wires to displays in cockpit cowling were laying on the companionway hatch. Wires were being jammed between hatch and deck when hatch was opened. Added pad eye in cowling, then tied up the wires.

5. Two of three displays in cockpit had only 2 of 4 mounting screws.

What were the qualifications of the so-called "pro"?
Old 17-08-2017, 15:29   #29

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft
Angry Re: Raymarine's Customer Support Stinks!!

Quote:

Signed:
Frustrated on Hold
If you think Raymaine is bad try dealing with B&G or Simrad one they have your money they forget you exist.
Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 15:42   #30
cruiser

Re: Raymarine's Customer Support Stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yes, I've seen as many if not more problems from dealers/professional installations than DIYs. I was crew picking up a brand new sailboat with a friend. The delivery person was going over the boat systems and the friend asked "why doesn't the AP have 'wind mode'". The professional summoned his Raymarine engineer who very confidently answered, "This model AP doesn't support that!" I changed the unit from power boat mode to sail boat mode as soon as we left the dock, magically wind mode appeared.

Even Ramblinrod in the above post - he lambastes the OP about DIY installation when if Rod had even read the thread, the OP isn't asking about installation, he's trying to troubleshoot a problem with a most-likely professional installation.

Hire a pro so it'll be done right!!!
Gimme a break.

The OP made no reference to age of equipment when asking a question pertinent to a new installation.

At the same time implying the company "took the money and run", also seemingly new equipment.

Only after reading through the thread did we find the equipment is so old, it is no longer supported, and yet top notch customer suppprt expected.

This stuff is like 10 years beyond its life expectancy.

so tired of hearing folks complain about the service of pros when they have never hired one. A pro does not use wire nuts. That would be a schmo. A schmo
is someone completely unqualified to perform work for pay, but is hired anyway, because the owner failed to exercise due diligence.

Tags
marine, raymarine