Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 02:06   #1

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'
Raising my mast using a pedestal

I'm sailing my boat to Cebu later this year for some refit work that will take a year or two.

One of the projects I am planning is to add a huge 20' x 25' hardtop canopy and somehow blend my pilot house into it... haven't figured the pilot house transition part yet. I need to raise the boom a minimum of 34" to make this work. I could always order a new mast but fiscally that wouldn't be sensible. I came up with a number of solutions including a recut of the main and spindle it wraps on to (in-mast furler, raising the worm drive gear up higher in the mast). However, a delivery skipper that I conversing with, who I met while there in Cebu, suggested that I use a pedestal. He said one can be fabricated and I can mount the mast to that. Said he's see it before.

I have dyneema/ Colligo rigging that is reaching the end of it's life so I need to replace the dyneema next year anyway so all this would mean is that I extend the rigging and maybe order a new dyform forestay for the added length. I'm thinking of maybe a 4' pedestal.

Has anyone see this? I can't find any pics of it on the internet.

I have time to figure all this out as this will be the last project we do but I wanted to engage the group on here and see if anyone has an ideas. I will likely relocate the traveler to the canopy or go with a more modern setup (none of the multihulls seem to use travelers anymore, rather use a set of larger blocks and sheets to one point to starboard and port. But all this will require me to re-engineer the setup so that all lines lead to the cockpit.

I want the canopy to fit the boat, not look like an afterthought, and have a tremendous amount of rake to go with it.

Thanks for any advice.
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 02:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Raising my mast using a pedestal

It would be the same concept as a tabernacle (in that it takes the load from the mast and transfers it to the deck {pics of mine on my website/blog}), just engineered to go higher. The challenge is making something strong enough that doesn't look like a clumsy afterthought (guilty). If the budget allows, you could have a really elegant carbon fiber pedestal engineered that matches seamlessly the styling of your boat and of your new canopy.
Old 13-07-2017, 20:09   #3

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'

Great info, Ben. I'll check out your blog.
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 20:53   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Look at some of the OPEN 50, & OPEN 60 monohulls, as some of them have masts on pedastals. And there are several good writeups on the monohull "Rocket Science" which describe this feature on here. She's a Paul Bieker design, a Riptide 55 & is on his website biekerboats.com Also her owner is a member here TJ D And there's no shortage of discussions on her over on Sailing Anarchy Forums too.

BTW, travelers haven't fallen out of fashion at all, & on multi's they're much more effective than on mono's owing to the boat's width. And many are incorporated into archs on any number of designs. One just needs to get the engineering right.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, mast, pedestal