Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2022, 09:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Questionable Marine Policies Part 2

Thought I'd throw another marina policy out to see what people think.

The service yard I am currently at seems to have no care for when they lift and move people's boats. When Little Wing was hauled, we brought her around to the alongside the night before and had agreed to a noon lift the next day. At 8 AM I called to make sure we were still on for noon, and they said that she had already been lifted and was on the stands. We rushed over and besides several long streaks down the sides from scraping her way into the well, when we asked the people around the yard how they lifted her, the consensus was that they had used very incorrect lift points and we were lucky she didn't slip out of the straps. We went to the office and demanded not to pay the full price, but they said to either pay the full price or they'd put us back in the water and we could leave so we ended up paying full price.

A few months later we needed a reblock to get to some problem spots on the bottom of the keel. It was scheduled for 1 PM. At 11 AM, they drove the lift up and said they just wanted to place the straps, not lift the boat—I said we wouldn't be ready for the reblock until 1 but they could position the straps. They then proceeded to position the straps, lift the boat, and complete the reblock while I vehemently told them to stop at every step after positioning the straps.

Today, we're set to get picked up and hang in the straps overnight before we splash tomorrow morning. The lift has been scheduled and confirmed multiple times for 2 PM. At 11 AM, they drove the lift over and said they just wanted to position the straps. I said no, we'll be ready at 2 PM. The lift operator threw a fit and stormed off, saying he wasn't going to stay until 2 PM and that if we didn't lift now then he wouldn't lift us today and to take it up with the office. I had to physically block the lift with my car. After the first lift operator stormed off, a second one came up and said that he would stay until 2 PM to do the lift as scheduled, so my car remains parked in front of the boat and I am camped out aboard finishing the final checks I intended to do in the first place.

Of course the added bonus is a few weeks ago they served everyone with a 30-day eviction notice, which was not enough time for most people to finish the work they were doing to be able to move their boats. Luckily we were able to, but it's clearly been a major hassle for others.

We will definitely never be returning to this yard (not that we could with the eviction)- the only reason we were here in the first place is it's the only full service yard in the area that allows DIY. But has anyone else ever had an experience like this??
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 09:23   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Questionable Marine Policies Part 2

You are definitely in the most bizarre yard I've ever heard of. Leave as soon as you can.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You are definitely in the most bizarre yard I've ever heard of. Leave as soon as you can.
HA glad it's not just my view of it... someone here at some point called me "naive" to the way the industry works for asking for my lifts to be at the times I had scheduled them.

And that is the plan. We've been working dawn till dusk the past 2 weeks to get out ASAP. Very excited to be done with this place for good starting tomorrow.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:37   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The yard where we store will often end up a bit ahead of or behind schedule, but they're usually pretty willing to coordinate times if the exact timing is sensitive (and a call in the morning will certainly get an updated answer on what time they'll be ready to take care of you). Personally, on haul and launch day I usually get there around 7:30 AM (the yard crew starts at 8) and plan to be there all day. That way exact scheduling doesn't matter and things can be done whenever they're ready. It's just easier to take a day off work and be there all day than to try to coordinate exact timing.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 09:38   #5

You need to go to a yard where the water lifts, at least, can only done with the tide. Then the yard doesn't have much choice about timing

In the last couple of yards we've been in it is not unusual for them to come park the equipment, and maybe even run the straps, when they are done with the last lift. But so far we've never been asked to move the actual lift time, and have certainly never had them lift without us. In fact, the last yard that lifted us required us to be on site, and to sign a document that included a photo of the strap placement saying that we approved of the lift and the placement of the straps. They place the straps, come out with a tablet, take some photos, send them off to the printer at the top of the well, and get your signature before they proceed with the actual lift.

Different business practices for different parts of the world I suppose (probably based on per-capita lawyer count).
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 09:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The yard where we store will often end up a bit ahead of or behind schedule, but they're usually pretty willing to coordinate times if the exact timing is sensitive (and a call in the morning will certainly get an updated answer on what time they'll be ready to take care of you). Personally, on haul and launch day I usually get there around 7:30 AM (the yard crew starts at 8) and plan to be there all day. That way exact scheduling doesn't matter and things can be done whenever they're ready. It's just easier to take a day off work and be there all day than to try to coordinate exact timing.
Yea I agree with that. I'm almost always willing to change times by a little bit because I understand scheduling multiple lifts in a day can require some adjusting—in this instance, what has bothered me is that 1) they don't ask to change the time, they just do 2) they don't listen when you say you're not ready and 3) we've been the only boat on the schedule for the day all 3 times.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
But so far we've never been asked to move the actual lift time, and have certainly never had them lift without us. In fact, the last yard that lifted us required us to be on site, and to sign a document that included a photo of the strap placement saying that we approved of the lift and the placement of the straps. They place the straps, come out with a tablet, take some photos, send them off to the printer at the top of the well, and get your signature before they proceed with the actual lift.
Yea when we pressed them about the first instance, they said that there was nothing in the contract that stated that the owner had to be present for the lift. While this was true, I said that I assumed it was common courtesy to at least ask if the owner wanted to be present (which I always do, because she's an unusually shaped boat). Their response was that they make no assumptions- they lift the boats according to the schedule and owners can show up if they want, to which I said okay, sure, but you didn't even lift us even remotely close to the time you said you would so we didn't even have a chance. That's the point where they threatened to kick us out, which I think likely meant they didn't have any more rebuttals.

Tomorrow morning we'll be here at the crack of dawn to make sure they don't splash her without owners present.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:55   #8

Boat: Tayana 47

Several years ago I was scheduled to haul out between 11 and noon because that’s when high tide was and my boat drew 7.5’. It was late October and very high winds were predicted for that night and next day. I was aboard my boat on one of the yards moorings and called the office at about 10 to tell them I was ready anytime they were and the person in the office said the crew would be ready for me soon. But then they decided to go to lunch first and then haul me. By 1 the tide was definitely receding so they said they didn’t dare attempt my haulout that day for fear of getting my boat stuck in the haulout bay. They said they’d get it the next day when I wasn’t able to be present due to having to go to work. During the night the predicted high winds came just as forecast and both my boat and another boat on another of their moorings dragged into each other, doing about $10K damage to my boat and almost double that to the motorboat. The marina refused to accept any responsibility for the damages and my insurance didn’t want to pursue so just paid to have my boat repaired. Pretty frustrating but as boaters we don’t seem to have much control or recourse in these situations other than to make sure our insurance is in effect.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 10:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The boatyards in my experience give you a tentative launch date that may or may not change at the last moment, and when getting closer a time window that's not fixed: "Before lunch" or "after lunch." I've often stopped by to find my boat launched already and swinging to a mooring--it's no big deal, since I make sure to be ready several days in advance of a possible launch.
I've never been given the luxury of a fixed time like "2:00 pm;" that's simply unreasonable given all the unforeseen events a day of hauling and launching boats brings forth.
Old 29-06-2022, 11:41   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I am pretty sure that every haulout/land storage contact I have ever seen has had something that says they can move my boat as they want to.
Old 29-06-2022, 12:11   #11

Wow, I can't imagine a yard launching the boat without me present. Every yard I've been in expects me to go through the "is water coming in check" before they lower the last few inches and removes the straps. Does the yard really know how to access every hull penetration from inside the boat, check all the seacocks, instruments, and shaft seals for leaks? I know where I've been they expect me to do all those things before they actually remove the ability to lift the boat out again.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 12:12   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Our yard guys are great. They take bribes to put up with us. They have a chart on where boats are lifted which is pretty consistent to hull type. Sound like you were in a tragic yard sorry to hear. We have a work yard well away from the slips you pay by the day for electrical in the yard. Keeps the burden from being amortized on the other boats.
During the first late launch 2021 due to Covid they were a bit disorganized no fault if theirs. My boat got dropped 5 days late but actually 2 months late. The yard was locked unlocked. We heard the Police were handing out tickets to Sailboats just moving from storage to their clubs. One bass boat near the island got a $700.00 ticket.
A club here sold. I believe a condo development. The last condo by same developer sold 3-7 M before they poured the foundation. The Boaters many winter liveaboard were given 60 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071A1B1B-C86B-4E4C-BD21-3B003527F9F6.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	260285  
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 12:22   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Our marina doesn’t hesitate to evict troublesome boaters. Far more boat owners wanting choice locations than slip availability. While they work as best they can with individual requests, some simply think they are the only customer and are oblivious to other considerations.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 12:47   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
Wow, I can't imagine a yard launching the boat without me present. Every yard I've been in expects me to go through the "is water coming in check" before they lower the last few inches and removes the straps. Does the yard really know how to access every hull penetration from inside the boat, check all the seacocks, instruments, and shaft seals for leaks? I know where I've been they expect me to do all those things before they actually remove the ability to lift the boat out again.

Exactly! All the yards I've been in demand the owners be part of the launch and haul. Heck, most of the yards I've been in, the owners do most of the launch and haul work ourselves.
Old 29-06-2022, 12:50   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The yard we're in doesn't require owners to be present, but if you're not there, they expect to have keys so they can get aboard and check bilges, etc. before the boat leaves the slings.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine