Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2022, 19:39   #31

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Questionable Marine Policies Part 2

I've operated a lift for about twenty five years and I refuse to move any boat without the owner or an agreed representative present. I also encourage that they launch early in the day in case of issues that might sink the boat when no one is around later in the day.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 20:05   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yup our yard calls you even with the confusion in 2020. If you are not there at the dock to receive your boat it’s get in line and bribe time. They won’t generally move a boat without the owner. I know the RCYC had an issue with a boat still in the water in November one year. A 52 Nautica the owner in hospital with Covid was the scuttle.
My Dad and Uncle built the marine railway at the QCYC in 1936-38. The original handcrank crippled a few members with back hits. It handled my Dads tub fine apparently. They replaced the killer hand crank with motor and a shed. I have some great archive photos of the build and first boat launch. The club still uses the old railway and hog grease timbers to shove boats around. No crane brace bunch.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 20:15   #33

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I've operated a lift for about twenty five years and I refuse to move any boat without the owner or an agreed representative present. I also encourage that they launch early in the day in case of issues that might sink the boat when no one is around later in the day.
No kidding. Our marina launches and lifts boats with no owner there. Probably because we do it twice a year for winter. Aside from an occasional bent shaft, no issues. Going in for spring they move the boats to the docks, which sometimes things happen. They do plug in the power cord, but almost always forget to turn on power at the dock, so it is somewhat of a miracle that no boat has ever sunk.
Old 29-06-2022, 20:22   #34

Dad on left Uncle far right. Was 5 guys on the crew.
Dad on the killer winch
The first rail line in 1936. QCYC clubhouse I’m background and Toronto beyond.
First launch Dads tub rolling under his watchful eyes and bad pants
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57144FA1-0A43-4E0D-AF40-E78C0CB60988.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	260295   Click image for larger version

Name:	921278F1-CA99-48BE-AC49-345A4B036A10.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	260296  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D9E347DE-FF70-43CF-A8C1-E3D46DE114B1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	260297   Click image for larger version

Name:	623179B6-B05F-4966-A840-5309D307EF71.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	260298  

Old 30-06-2022, 04:55   #35

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

As a Chesapeake Bay boater I would like to know the name of the yard that you are having problems with so I don't end up with similar issues. Please PM me if you don't want to publicly name them.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 05:54   #36

I googled most exclusive yacht clubs and of course brought up a US list. Was interesting though. They were all small clubs. Two on the list were in Chesapeake. Annapolis Yacht club and the family one in sight.
Two completely different attitudes and membership fees.
We’ve have 2 in the area and one is more a tennis and gossip club with boats. They have broke a dozen rules including using city park space cutting off access to public space and still charge 30k to join.
You can’t visit either club in a storm with the bilge Pump running
Old 30-06-2022, 06:02   #37

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Some advice. Try to migrate your boating away from needing so much from marinas if possible.

When you make decisions about boating or your boat in general, do so from a perspective of “how will this minimize my need for a marina?”

Although my boat is currently at a marina because it’s the only way to do the construction on it, it hasn’t been out of the water in five years. I designed it in a way such that it does not need to be hauled. Unless you are doing bottom paint. And that can often just be a diver scrubbing.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 08:55   #38

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Thought I'd throw another marina policy out to see what people think.

The service yard I am currently at seems to have no care for when they lift and move people's boats. When Little Wing was hauled, we brought her around to the alongside the night before and had agreed to a noon lift the next day. At 8 AM I called to make sure we were still on for noon, and they said that she had already been lifted and was on the stands. We rushed over and besides several long streaks down the sides from scraping her way into the well, when we asked the people around the yard how they lifted her, the consensus was that they had used very incorrect lift points and we were lucky she didn't slip out of the straps. We went to the office and demanded not to pay the full price, but they said to either pay the full price or they'd put us back in the water and we could leave so we ended up paying full price.

A few months later we needed a reblock to get to some problem spots on the bottom of the keel. It was scheduled for 1 PM. At 11 AM, they drove the lift up and said they just wanted to place the straps, not lift the boat—I said we wouldn't be ready for the reblock until 1 but they could position the straps. They then proceeded to position the straps, lift the boat, and complete the reblock while I vehemently told them to stop at every step after positioning the straps.

Today, we're set to get picked up and hang in the straps overnight before we splash tomorrow morning. The lift has been scheduled and confirmed multiple times for 2 PM. At 11 AM, they drove the lift over and said they just wanted to position the straps. I said no, we'll be ready at 2 PM. The lift operator threw a fit and stormed off, saying he wasn't going to stay until 2 PM and that if we didn't lift now then he wouldn't lift us today and to take it up with the office. I had to physically block the lift with my car. After the first lift operator stormed off, a second one came up and said that he would stay until 2 PM to do the lift as scheduled, so my car remains parked in front of the boat and I am camped out aboard finishing the final checks I intended to do in the first place.

Of course the added bonus is a few weeks ago they served everyone with a 30-day eviction notice, which was not enough time for most people to finish the work they were doing to be able to move their boats. Luckily we were able to, but it's clearly been a major hassle for others.

We will definitely never be returning to this yard (not that we could with the eviction)- the only reason we were here in the first place is it's the only full service yard in the area that allows DIY. But has anyone else ever had an experience like this??
Absolute BS!
What were the reasons for posting the eviction of all in the yard?
Seems some irate management.
Unfair at the very least.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:31   #39

Boat: Caliber 47

With all the complaining you're doing On this forum the yards probably hoping you leave!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:26   #40

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Yea when we pressed them about the first instance, they said that there was nothing in the contract that stated that the owner had to be present for the lift. While this was true, I said that I assumed it was common courtesy to at least ask if the owner wanted to be present (which I always do, because she's an unusually shaped boat). Their response was that they make no assumptions- they lift the boats according to the schedule and owners can show up if they want, to which I said okay, sure, but you didn't even lift us even remotely close to the time you said you would so we didn't even have a chance. That's the point where they threatened to kick us out, which I think likely meant they didn't have any more rebuttals.

Tomorrow morning we'll be here at the crack of dawn to make sure they don't splash her without owners present.
Threat to kick you out may not have been lack of rebuttals but they had run out of Patiences. You thought it was a negotiation they didn't. I'm sorry being mad at a yard for being early? Really? I may have missed something. Is this a DIY yard and you are doing the work yourself?
Being there early is a good idea.
mike mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:35   #41

It’s been 3 years since I’ve sailed but I’m a serious lurker. The boats a sailed were generally other people’s and I was just a mover. I do have friends that own marinas, one I the US and one in the Carribean.

Slinging early is definitely a thing. Hauling in and hauling out without your presence is pretty rare. I’ve seen marinas overbook the equipment and I’ve seen owners unprepared when the time came to hoist. To confirm a time then do it without you present is a huge liability issue as anything that happened would be on them as working without your presence is very far outside normal practice.

But hey, they’ve evicted you and you’re out now.
TXProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:38   #42

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

NO ONE REGULATES MARINA'S IN THE USA FOR ANYTHING!!!! THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT. THAT IS THE REALITY. I FOUND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY. THE ONLY CHANGE COMES FROM LAWSUITS--------AT EACH MARINA! THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:49   #43

Not returning? Serve 'em with small claims court papers.

Even if they win, it'll be a major PITA.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:24   #44

So when do they break ground in the boat yard for the million dollar condos
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:31   #45

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
NO ONE REGULATES MARINA'S IN THE USA FOR ANYTHING!!!! THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT. THAT IS THE REALITY. I FOUND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY. THE ONLY CHANGE COMES FROM LAWSUITS--------AT EACH MARINA! THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE.

Well no matter how loud you type this is patently untrue there are plenty of regulations that a marina must follow

Tags
marine