Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 20:59   #31

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Question... Tricolor Mast and Anchor Light

Don't have the dilemma. The pilothouse roof raises the red/green lights well above the hull. And it's a good idea to have other lights on to increase detection.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:27   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Paul
It's very simple; bow mounted running lites will shine on the water from time to time, possibly reflect a little light off the pulpit and maybe illuminate your jib a bit. All this adds depth perception so that someone looking down (not up, over the horizon at the lite like looking from a sailboat) can estimate distance.
Sorry if I sound overly sensitive on this one, but I came very close to killing some sailors (that time, don't get me started about experiences driving tugs and barges; many, many very near dead dummies) and I was very conscientious that night as I had spent six years captaining sail and power charter yachts in that area and knew they were probably around.
This is not an opinion; it happened and I analyzed and agonized the why of it all for years afterwords.
I have to say that if you're looking down at my lights, but up at my tricolor, then our encounter went wrong a long time ago. It sounds like what you're really asking for is more incidental deck-level lighting. My red/green bow lights definitely do not ever illuminate my sails, regardless of any wave reflections, etc.

Did this close-quarters encounter happen in a traffic zone, or channel? When I'm in an area such as that I do run the deck-level lights, on the presumption that we will be sailing close to other traffic and they will be scanning the water, not the sky. When I'm on the open ocean, where I consider a 1-mile CPA to be a close call, I use the tricolor.

I have to say you've given me something to think about, but my experience at sea, looking at other sailboats as well as ships, leads me to a different conclusion. Heck, my tri-color is about the same height as the running lights on most small ships.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 23:05   #33

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Thanks Capta,

My new cat is getting cabin mounted port and starboard lights. Excellent points.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 10:20   #34

Boat: Westerly Centaur, 26

Any more recent opinions on which light to get? I want a tricolour and anchor at the top of the mast (11m above the water).
I'm considering:
  • NASA Super Nova Combi Tri Anchor LED
  • Aqua Signal LED Tricolour Anchor HSG
  • Lalizas/FOS LA-71311
  • Mantagua 75 LED Tricolour with Anchor

Does anyone have any recent experience of these?
Old 24-04-2016, 15:02   #35

Boat: islandpacket

I use the Aqua signal with the replacement LED bulbs. I don't use it often as I don't often go off shore at night much. I also have the deck level lights that I use as the mast top is only when under sail.
Old 24-04-2016, 15:38   #36

The reality has nothing to do with looking down or up. Off shore your lights are all one at a distance. They are not red or green, just a white flicker. The further off the water, the further away it will be seen, so someone who finally sees it will keep track of it. The light will be obscured on a regular interval due to sea action lowering and raising. Eventually your lights will show up with color, by this time you are committed and only minutes away from a collision. With lights only 10 ft off the water, you will not be seen until you are pretty close. Even lights high up on the bridge of a freighter are hard to see when that freighter is only 20-30 minutes from you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 02:39   #37

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Optolamps, simply the best. See http://www.neptunes-gear.com/index.p...-lighting.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
anchor, mast