Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 18:34   #1

Question for experienced boat owners/sailors

I recently inherited a 27 foot 1983 pacific sea craft from a deceased relative, and know absolutely nothing about boats etc. I was looking for any information that anybody has about the popularity of this boat, the quality, value, etc. I am just wondering what it would likely sell for in bad vs good vs great shape, or wether this type of boat is worth selling at all vs donating. I will be having a surveyor check the boat out, as I am across the country with a new baby and am unable to check it out myself. If anyone has any information or is familiar with these boats in all conditions as I am unsure of the condition, please let me know. I am sorry for such a vague post, but I figured this seemed like a pretty good place to find some random information out. Thanks in advance.
ashtwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Question for experienced boat owners/sailors

Don't know much about small boats but I typed Pacific Seacraft 27 into google and found several listed for sale. You might look at yachtworld.com. Three listed there, 1979-1984 from $39.5K to $59.9K.

Obviously condition will make a very big difference.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:08   #3

Thanks for the information, i appreciate it!
Old 04-12-2012, 19:12   #4

The Pacific Seacraft line are among the most highly touted USA boats made. Definitely not a give away boat. Probably bring more $ than most any other that length.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:22   #5

Thanks so much for the information. I am glad to hear that people seem to love these boats. I am unsure of the boats condition, but do you happen to know if people will buy them in any condition, even poor? I was just preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best which is why I was considering donation if it was not in good shape.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:27   #6

Its like selling a car. Some people are okay with a junker and some people aren't. Some people will nickle and dime you to death over a smudge.

If you are personally unsure of the condition, I would hire a surveyor, or at the very least, find someone local and familiar to survey the vessel. This will cost some modest amount. Also, almost all perspective buyers will want to have their own surveyors take a look, very much like when you buy a home, you get a home inspection.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:50   #7

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtwk View Post
I recently inherited a 27 foot 1983 pacific sea craft from a deceased relative, and know absolutely nothing about boats etc. I was looking for any information that anybody has about the popularity of this boat, the quality, value, etc. I am just wondering what it would likely sell for in bad vs good vs great shape, or wether this type of boat is worth selling at all vs donating. I will be having a surveyor check the boat out, as I am across the country with a new baby and am unable to check it out myself. If anyone has any information or is familiar with these boats in all conditions as I am unsure of the condition, please let me know. I am sorry for such a vague post, but I figured this seemed like a pretty good place to find some random information out. Thanks in advance.
If you have no interest in keeping the boat, then I would skip the surveyor and go straight to a broker.

Typically, surveyors are paid by buyers, not by sellers. You can expect the broker to estimate the market value of the boat and list it appropriately. If the broker wants a survey, then order it at that time.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 22:22   #8

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

A few possible starting points:
Pacific Seacraft is the award winning manufacturer of ocean going sailing yachts. The Pacific Seacraft manufacturing facility is located in Washington North Carolina. The company was featured in the book The Worlds Best Sailboats by Ferenc Mate. Paci

pacificseacraftowners.org

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Seacraft

pacificseacraftowners.org/blogs/index.php/Home/

groups.yahoo.com/group/NWSeacraft/
Old 05-12-2012, 06:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
If you have no interest in keeping the boat, then I would skip the surveyor and go straight to a broker.
Ditto. No need to pay for a survey now if you plan to sell the boat anyway. A good broker will be willing to look the boat over and suggest an appropriate asking price. Might be worth it (like when selling a house) to talk to a couple of different brokers and compare their suggestions for marketing and selling this boat.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 18:59   #10

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Ditto. No need to pay for a survey now if you plan to sell the boat anyway. A good broker will be willing to look the boat over and suggest an appropriate asking price. Might be worth it (like when selling a house) to talk to a couple of different brokers and compare their suggestions for marketing and selling this boat.

Good luck.

They are giving you very sound advice, if you are selling take it and good luck to you. Unless you know the surveyor no telling what they may tell you or if they are any good.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Pacific Seacraft is one of the premier sailboat mfg in the country. If I were you, would have it loaded on trailer and shipped to the nearest water next to my home. If that isn't in the cards for you, give PSC a call and see if they have a dealer in the area where the boat is. They'd be the best broker to list it with. If that doesn't work, I'd post the boats general location here and ask for advice on a broker in the area.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote