Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 05:52   #46

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Quarter Life Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Of course you could get really lucky like me and find one that both enjoys (and looks hot!) in long gowns, stillettos and all that pazzaz, and also loves to both sail and hang around on the boat in old shorts (still looking hot!) and a t-shirt.

They really are out there - takes a bit of looking.

I'd still suggest you crew on someone else's boat for a few months. The cost is negligable and you'll gain vast amounts of experience.

And guess what - those "wash and wear" gals are also out there crewing - good place to start looking - at least you know they love to sail
Yes they are, Ive been fortunate to have found several in my life time. Met two of them sailing.

Go where the boats are...girls hang out there too!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:44   #47

Well everyone, I think the whole first mate idea will be put to rest until I actually get farther along in my adventure of practising/ working/ owning a sailboat!

I am very thankful for every single reply and am going to stay around learning new things and trying to stay involved and connected. Feel free to post anything else if you feel like its something I should consider.
Camcmillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:31   #48

Boat: none yet :(

You may found this book relevant and inspirational

http://www.amazon.com/Across-Islands.../dp/1470004615

Best of luck!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:53   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcmillen View Post
Thanks everyone for help.

I am a guy, and I am in Lubbock so I am 9 hours away from nearest coast. There are no lakes to sail on near by that I know of........I am from Houston so I do have connections there to oil and gas. But I don’t want to work in oil and gas due to the fluctuation of that field.

I thought about a maritime academy, but that would be four more years of school and I don’t want to do all of that. I am graduating with an engineering and math degree already, I don’t want any more school time.

I do however work on engines, tractors, and boats at work and have a few years experience working as a mechanic.

Enticing a young babe and sailing away sounds nice but I find that women are expensive and I do not need to waste any more money.

I have thought about Florida, but since I have family in Galveston and Houston, a good starting place would be in the Kemah / Clear Lake area since I could have a place to stay until I buy a boat and maybe live aboard!

The coast guard doesnt pay anything and I think that working something related to my degrees would help me out more. That was a good idea though1 Thanks.

Sorry the responses were out of order, I did them off the top of my head!

Thanks!
Not being an American, but knowing how it works up here in the Great White North, the services would welcome you with open arms with your degrees. I would suspect you would be officer candidate material with both the Navy and the Coast Guard. Officers get paid well, and the benefits are good.

Yes, you start off lower than engineers typically do, however, as you advance up the ranks, the pay becomes very competitive. Don't forget, you retire in as little as 20 years with full pension.

http://www.uscg.mil/ppc/docs/2015basepay.pdf

Don't forget the bonuses, very few get only base pay.

I'm sure your aware of it, but there is a Direct Commission program for engineers:

Direct Commission Engineer (DCE)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:47   #50

Av, the CCG, couldn't take him on as an officer unless he acquired sea time and challenged the Engineering exams or committed to another 4 years school in Sydney.

My understanding is the navy is more open minded to general education, but CG only recognises STCW certification.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 16:10   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

PS: Some time, when finals next Spring are a distant memory, come back here & tell us how it all turned out.
OK! Well its time to check in! This past winter has been crazy! I have read a lot and have absorbed as much as possible.........

However, I do have bad news. I have not made much progress in learning to sail yet. I was about to buy a sun fish and go pick it up with the truck and bring it to a place I found that would store it for 10$ a month. Late November, I got home from class as I was starting to finish up my semester (there was less than a week left of class) and my truck had been stolen. The worst part is, inside my truck was a bag that had my laptop, 3 MAJOR Projects and assignments, and the money order I was going to use to buy sunfish.

Before someone says it, I know I shouldn't have left it in there..... but I was in a hurry thought that my girlfriend was going to be take it in to get an oil change before I got back.

Any ways, I had to buy a new vehicle out of my future boat savings because my insurance only covered what I still owed. Also I had to buy a new laptop that could run the software for my classes.($800). I also failed the three classes because my Professors didn't care that the 300+ hours of work on these projects was all gone in a flash. One actually had the audacity to to say, " Not my problem. You get to fail the class." what an A**-hole!!!!! Anyway, I have now set my graduation date back a semester and will now be paying 2800 to retake the classes I would’ve passed.
I also didnt get to complete the ASA courses i had scheduled for December. Those have been put off till Summer.

I am still trying to recover and will hopefully have all my money back in savings by summer.

Off to some good news.

I still want to learn and am probably more obsessed with it than I was before. I will surmount these obstacles and buy a boat to live in after college. After that I will practice and save my money to go on an extended voyage for about a year from Texas to Florida and down the Caribbean.

I still am not sure what I will do for a job, but am still actively brainstorming and researching ideas!!!!

Thanks to everyone who is so encouraging. and the people who will not agree, even though we do not agree I still appreciate you opinions..

Fair Winds

P.S. I also found a small group of people in Lubbock that are interested in sailing.... we talk often and will hopefully go on a trip soon!
Camcmillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

If you are coming out of college with no debt I would suggest you make your self known at websites such as crewfinder.
This is probably the biggest positive indication of your character imaginable, especially when tied in with Engineering.

Someone getting out of College today without a millstone of debt is a rarity.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but life has a way of throwing obstacles at us to slow us down and make sure we do things at the right time, or DON'T do things at the wrong time.

It may sound really weird, but it has happened to me time and again, and I always end up saying "Thank goodness!" Including four 'almost' wives.

So pay attention to the messages you are being sent.

Best of luck to you.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote