Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 06:06   #1

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978
Purchase Costs Expenses Liveaboard

I think this will help new boaters/liveaboards figure out their future expenditures. I managed to sail at least twice to three times a week the entire time. Now that I am in a house, I am limited to weekends only.
Attached are the costs of purchasing and living aboard a sailboat in a marina for a season. We bought a house afterwards, you will see this as a decrease in marina fees (I changed the boat to another marina and placed it in a mudslip) and no storage fees. I made notes of each purchase (what was purchased). What it is missing is a clutch cable that I will purchase today as soon as I leave here.
I tried uploading this previously, but could not. So I am trying to upload the exel sheet as a video. If doesn't work I don't know how to upload it. If some can tell me please do.
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:51   #2

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: Purchase Costs Expenses Liveaboard

No attachment

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 19:00   #3

I think I figured out how to do this. So here are my expenses....You have to enable editing to see notes on expenditures. You'll see two expenditures for a forestay. After I bought the boat, the owner in attempting to fix the rolling furler snapped the forestay. I arranged a quick fix with shackles and norman fittings using the old forestay. I also sold the furler, and went traditional. I needed to move the boat in two days. The quick fix turned into months of sailing, before I noticed a decrease in tension in my stays. So I replaced the stay and placed norseman fittings above and below. I retensioned all the standing rigging, and it is.....YES!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Costs of Living aboard - 1978 Ericson 27.xls (26.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 18-02-2015, 04:41   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

your spreadsheet is wrong, your avg cost those 6 months was $644 not $127 like on the sheet
Old 18-02-2015, 05:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
your spreadsheet is wrong, your avg cost those 6 months was $644 not $127 like on the sheet
Thanks for the feedback!
I couldn't figure that out either. I think it's averaging all the columns. I do not use Excel. Here's what I just finishedoing "=SUM(B12+B34:I34)/8" for average cost. I just assumed that I could take the average cost square and add B12 to it. This gave me an average of 744/month. If I did it correctly then my average monthly expenditure up until Feb, 2015 is 747 dollars per month. Not $644, which did not include initial cost of the boat. Also notice that there are months missing. I did no repairs during these months, as I was busy with the new house. So expenditures were marina, boat insurance and town insurance. Approximately, $300.00. So the average would be off a bit. I'll try to learn to use excel...

If someone is looking for a cheap place to live than a sailboat is not it. Unless you, like many in my current marina are not interested in anything but a floating efficiency apartment, e.g. there is a man who has been in his boat 25 years without starting the motor or hauling the boat out of the water.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:37   #6

Corrected EXCEL Sheet

Update: if you include the price and initial repairs of boat(5125) and add that to the total seasonal costs (4786), then average by nine months: $1111.00/month. That's very expensive. If you do not calculate the initial cost of the boat in the monthly expenses than it's $531.
My 2015 expenditures thus far - for two months: 865.00.
I've spent all morning trying to get this right. I hate computers..this is why I bought a boat.
I've attached what should be a proper Excel sheet with all the costs, etc., 2014 took absorbed the initial cost of the boat. 2015 does not, but like I mentioned early only thing left to fix (if nothing breaks) is the expensive stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Costs of Living aboard - 1978 Ericson 27.xls (30.0 KB, 68 views)

Tags
liveaboard, purchase