Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 16:51   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Protocol of when to board another boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I suppose it depends on where you are but I've never run across a "harbormaster" in my travels. Usually people just anchor somewhere out of the channel or up a side creek.

Calling the local police would be fine if you suspect a medical emergency or a crime but not just because a chart plotter is sounding.
I used the term "Harbormaster" or shore authority. Actually, I never come across "harbormasters" except north of the Chesapeake!
Old 05-09-2014, 17:39   #32

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I used the term "Harbormaster" or shore authority. Actually, I never come across "harbormasters" except north of the Chesapeake!

How about "Capitan del Puerto"? There are a bunch of those.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 17:40   #33

Re: Protocol of When to Board Another Boat?

Yup-I'm north of Chesepeake.Harbormaster always lurking about.It's ok though,he's my neighbor and his subordiates know me..

As for close newcomer to "my" anchorage.I radio them to welcome and ask for number if they're leaving for town/dinner/whatever.As for boarding-never without permission except for imminent colision/dragging/disaster....

I have tele # on bulkhead entrance window.

Ettiquette.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 22:26   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
We are in an anchorage in Nantucket and our neighbor came in, dropped two anchors and headed to town. His boat is now making a continuous beeping. We assume that it is from an anchor alarm as it started after the current turned and we all swung. His boat seems okay and ours is fine too. I am worried that he isn't coming back anytime soon and we really don't want to listen to his beeping alarm, whatever it is, all night. Can I / should I board his boat and try to disable or in some other way rectify whatever is causing this alarm?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I wouldn't board an unattended boat unless it was clearly in trouble i.e. sinking or dragging anchor.

In either case, fast action is often required so I am happy to act unilaterally and would not wait for a coalition of like minded cruisers to form.

I have only ever had to board an unattended boat once - it had just arrived in the anchorage and the crew had headed into town in their dinghy. A hour or so later, it started dragging and was drifting seawards at a good rate of knots. I jumped into my dinghy with a spare anchor and line, headed towards it and picked up a mate on another anchored boat enroute.

After getting aboard, we worked how the release the winch and dropped a pile of chain. Soon had her nicely anchored without having to use my line or anchor. By then it was maybe a mile or two from where her owners had left her. We left a short note with our boat name in the cockpit and went home.

That afternoon, the owners dropped by with beer and wine

They reported that they had some trouble in finding their boat but were happy that it was still in the anchorage rather hull down over the horizon.

They had not factored in the tidal range of the area (about 20' to 25'). Their home waters only had a range of 6'!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:47   #35

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

It can go wrong. Guy on a nearby boat dragged a yacht in apparent danger off some mud flats and tied it to a pylon. He got three months in jail for his good deed.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 00:15   #36
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
It can go wrong. Guy on a nearby boat dragged a yacht in apparent danger off some mud flats and tied it to a pylon. He got three months in jail for his good deed.
Where was that?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 00:33   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Where was that?
$380 to get in and then they throw you in the slammer, as good a reason as any I have seen for avoiding the place
Old 06-09-2014, 02:55   #38

I was fishing off my kayak one night at Lesner Inlet here in Virginia Beach. I was tossing some plastic at the light lines along the marina while I was drifting out the the bridge. I noticed a ugly grinding sound coming from the hull of a nice 3 engine 37' Grady White. I could see a threaded rod sticking out from the pileon and digging into the boat about midship when the wind/current was rocking it. I could see that it already caused quite a bit of damage to the hull, so I went along a open spot on the pier and climbed up. There is a club/restaurant on the pier. I asked everybody that walked by if they knew who owned the boat. There is a VBPD water patrol pier located at this place, but they were out on the water.

Well...... I took it upon myself to go aboard and adjust the lines/fenders to keep the boat away from the threaded rod. I was finishing up with the last line when 6-7 guys come running towards the boat screaming. I could already hear the threats of a "good ass whooping". I didn't get half way back onto the pier before a couple of them grabbed me and started roughing me up. Luckily for me, there were some married couples who just came outside the on the veranda who recognized me. They saw what was going on and made their way over to the boat to help. This fiasco went on for another 5 minutes before the dust settled. I ended up with a bloody lip and a torn dry top before it was over.

I thanked my friends who had helped me, and made my way off the pier onto my kayak. I was about a 50 yards away when I heard this god awful screaming/meltdown coming from the boat. I looked back to see the owner looking over the side at the damage. I could also hear my friends laughing and busting his chops for not listening to a stranger who tried to save his boat.

Never again........ (mind my own business!)
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:41   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Same here. One hears the word used a lot but with very few exceptions I have not run into any actual harbor masters outside of New England where there seems to be a harbormaster in every village and town within shouting distance of any body of water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 14:04   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Go board the boat!

The rest of you stop being so paranoid and "sticking your head in the sand" types.

Old 06-09-2014, 14:38   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Isn't there also some additional learned judgement about what is most appropriate. I recently boarded an unoccupied vessel in a marina to gain access to a piling while helping another boat dock. I've also boarded boats during someone's risky docking maneuver in order to fend off the vessel. It's a completely different choice to board someone's boat at night in an unfamiliar place or especially to board a boat at night that is tied up to some drinking establishment!

I think people need to access some thought to the situation.

I'll add another factor that is likely an exposure of my prejudice. I would feel much more comfortable boarding a boat that had the equipment characteristic of a cruiser than a flashy clean vessel that appeared to be someone's trophy!
Old 06-09-2014, 14:53   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Go board the boat!

The rest of you stop being so paranoid and "sticking your head in the sand" types.

And risk getting beaten up or shot. You go ahead and enter someone else's private space without permission. Me, I'm leaving it to those authorized to do so. That's not sticking my head in the sand, it's being smart.

I don't know what it is about web forums that makes some people think they need to insult anyone who doesn't agree with them.
Old 06-09-2014, 16:28   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If my boat needed attention , I would always appreciate someone trying to board and help resolve it , in my absence. I wouldn't shoot them , more likely thank then with a cup of tea.

Dave
Agreed, although I'd probably proffer a bottle of wine rather than a cup of tea.

If anyone sees my boat dragging while I'm not aboard, you are welcome aboard. The key is in the ignition.
Old 06-09-2014, 16:49   #44

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Agreed, although I'd probably proffer a bottle of wine rather than a cup of tea.

If anyone sees my boat dragging while I'm not aboard, you are welcome aboard. The key is in the ignition.

I completely agree. I would just hope the cooling system did not pick that time to act up. I would need to be there for that.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 17:38   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And risk getting beaten up or shot. You go ahead and enter someone else's private space without permission. Me, I'm leaving it to those authorized to do so. That's not sticking my head in the sand, it's being smart.

I don't know what it is about web forums that makes some people think they need to insult anyone who doesn't agree with them.
Insecurity perhaps? But please don't disagree with that otherwise I may have to insult you.

Coops.

Tags
rot