Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2020, 08:34   #46

Re: Propane stove won’t light when cold

There is no physical or chemical scenario which would permit the OP's gas to undergo sustainable combustion at 10 Celsius* but not at 3 Celsius other than the liquid (in the case of butane ) source not being above its boiling point.
The vapour pressure of propane in normal Texan weather will always be hugely in excess of the regulators input requirements. If the OP is certain that his LPG is propane, not butane, then his ignition source should be examined or the reg replaced.

*apolologies for the use of of this unit of temperature on a US-centric forum, perhaps this explains the choice.
HiAndDri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:30   #47

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The problem is most likely that what you think is propane is actually butane. Put a pressure gauge on the tank. If it measures less than 60 psi at 60 degrees F then you have butane.
The only problem with that is there is no LPG supplier in the U.S. that would fill a tank with Butane. Doesn't happen, because they don't have it. Read the earlier posts about the composition of LPG.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Many marine stoves have safety thermal shutoffs. If the solenoid is old the lubricant can have issues with temperature ambient temperature change.
But, typical LPG solenoid valves have no lubricant in them. Sometimes impurities in fuel can collect in the valve orifice, which is quite small, but the solenoid coil and core should be clean and dry.
Old 21-02-2020, 13:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Not all if any, have them on the TOP burners, the newest ones may.
My 79, Hillerange, has that on its OVEN burner only, safety valve because it's the largest burner, And is in a confined space.
The RV, Princess, four burner is the same.
Really has more to do with confined space, as Propane has an additive to make it scented, and noticeable to the olfactory senses.
SV Cloud Duster
From the Force 10 Product Overview page (emphasis mine)
Force 10 Appliances offers (12) different sized gimbaled and (5) different sized built-in Gas Ranges. With 2, 3, 4 and 5 burner models and a number of options available to match your galley décor, you can be assured Force 10 has a Range to fit any installation requirement. Cooking without compromise means all Force 10 Gas Galley Ranges come standard with features that provide a perfect balance of safety, function, performance and quality. Features include thermocouple protection on all burners, slide away oven door , removable top grate,

Yes, this copied info is for current production, but my 20+ year old Force 10 is the same. I always have to teach visitors how to light the burners.

And as far as I know ALL fuel gas has scent added. Certainly Propane, Butane, and Natural Gas do.
Old 21-02-2020, 14:59   #50

Boat: Boatless Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The only problem with that is there is no LPG supplier in the U.S. that would fill a tank with Butane. Doesn't happen, because they don't have it. Read the earlier posts about the composition of LPG.
So maybe his Texas boat has been to Mexico. Anyway, the pressure test is easy, and for safety reasons he should have a pressure gauge in the line between the tank and the regulator.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 18:11   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
So maybe his Texas boat has been to Mexico. Anyway, the pressure test is easy, and for safety reasons he should have a pressure gauge in the line between the tank and the regulator.

Wouldn't happen in Mexico, either.

BTW, LPG with a 50/50 blend of Propane and Butane has a vapor pressure of about 52 psi at 60 F.
Old 21-02-2020, 22:06   #52

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
But, typical LPG solenoid valves have no lubricant in them. Sometimes impurities in fuel can collect in the valve orifice, which is quite small, but the solenoid coil and core should be clean and dry.
I was referring to the thermal saftey device, not the gas regulator.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 15:50   #53

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

This morning at 27F in Southport, NC, USA (for you Frenchies that is about -3C, but I never did like negative numbers, and by the way ice and steam are opposite phases of water and thus should be 180 degrees apart, not 100) my Seaward 2172 LPG stove would not light. I turned the 12V solenoid valve in the propane locker on and off a few times then finally got that familiar clunk sound and the hiss of gas, and the stove easily lit. (French toast this morning for breakfast, by the way) My guess is that the oil that is in my propane system was a little thick and it took a couple of bumps or maybe a little resistance heating to get the 12V solenoid valve to open. I have oil (or an oil-like substance) in the propane lines of every propane appliance that I own. I am not alone in finding oil in LPG gas. Google "oil in propane" or something like that, and you will find others who do as well. I find at the least the inside of the lines are wet with oil; at the most they drip oil.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:00   #54

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
This morning at 27F in Southport, NC, USA (for you Frenchies that is about -3C, but I never did like negative numbers, and by the way ice and steam are opposite phases of water and thus should be 180 degrees apart, not 100) my Seaward 2172 LPG stove would not light. I turned the 12V solenoid valve in the propane locker on and off a few times then finally got that familiar clunk sound and the hiss of gas, and the stove easily lit. (French toast this morning for breakfast, by the way) My guess is that the oil that is in my propane system was a little thick and it took a couple of bumps or maybe a little resistance heating to get the 12V solenoid valve to open. I have oil (or an oil-like substance) in the propane lines of every propane appliance that I own. I am not alone in finding oil in LPG gas. Google "oil in propane" or something like that, and you will find others who do as well. I find at the least the inside of the lines are wet with oil; at the most they drip oil.

Bill
Fact is Lpg is odorless, so garlic Oil is added to give that distinctive odor in case of leaks or appliances left on.
Better to have a sniffer, cause our Noses may not be able to smell all the time.
Tipping the tank or transport in a non upright position, can get this oil into the normally oil free valve and into your appliances.
You can have the gas tank certification folks unscrew the valve and empty the tank.
It's an extra charge, as is certification, usually every 10 or 12 years.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, stove