Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 15:15   #31

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: Propane stove won’t light when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Pretty sure all burners on Marine stoves have a thermocouple that will turn off gas flow if there is no heat, my old over 30 yr old stove does anyway.
I believe it’s the biggest difference between a boat and an RV stove.
Actually the LPG stove on my RV does as well.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:23   #32

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
1987 Princess stove, the stub right beside of the igniter is the thermocouple.
I believe your stove is 9years younger than mine, as I'm using a lighter to lite mine, no igniter, so it may have a thermopile.
On the RV, the princess has a pilot and 4 tubes to light the burners, but has a thermopile on that valve and a pilot to maintain the heat to it.
Again, no igniter.
Also, gimbaling.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:25   #33

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Say WHAT???

Illusion, you are saying it is NORMAL for propane to not work at temperatures of 30 to 40 degrees F? That is just nonsense. People heat their houses with propane--from outdoor tanks--in temperatures of -30F and lower.

What you are saying is just wrong. I don't know why you THINK it is true, but practical experience just says NO!
Second time I've noticed you didn't read what someone wrote and inferred something different. Regardless of the comprehension problem, you arent being helpful in either case.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:28   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Actually the LPG stove on my RV does as well.
I don’t remember if ours did or not, it may well have. I would think all stoves would, what else would keep you from filling up a house with explosive gas should the stove go out?
But not having ever had a house with a gas stove I don’t know
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:59   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Using LPG, which I believe is similar to propane, in the mountains in winter at maybe -5oC I would have to put the LPG bottle on one burner & the cooking pot on the other burner to get any meaningful output of heat. Otherwise the latent heat of vaporisation or something like that would cause the LPG bottle to get even colder & it would stop boiling off into a gas at a usable rate.

You could even notice the same effect using a 40kg bottle of LPG/propane on a preheating torch whilst trying to heat up 3" steel plate in 15oC air temp. The outside of the LPG cylinder would begin to frost up & the torch flame would get smaller & smaller so I'd play the torch on the LPG bottle to warm it up until the torch started to roar again.
Funny thing tho, it made some of my workmates run away.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 16:15   #36

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

All legal gas appliances have a thermal couple device to prevent gas flow if flame goes out. The problem is not with the properties of the gas. The problem is mechanical.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 16:23   #37

Boat: O'day 34, O'day 39

We have had two boats - and 83 and an 84, both with Hillerange Princess LP ranges, neither had thermocouples on the top burners.

I wonder if the OP has a range with ignitors on the burners or if, like us he uses a lighter to manually light the top burners? Here in Wisconsin we use ours down to temperatures below freezing with no issues.

Scott
Scott Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 16:27   #38

When you say “will not light’, I assume you mean “will not stay on after the pilot light heats up the shut-off thermocouple”, right? Ambient temperature can affect the action of the Solenoid that opens the gas flow in two ways. One, it will take longer for the thermocouple to generate the higher millivolt potential to operate the Solenoid that opens the gas flow. Two, the lubricant in the solenoid and its seals gets more viscous. Check the contacts as you maybe losing some milliamperes to dirty contacts...
JDanielBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 17:25   #39

My stove does not have a thermocouple at the burners. It does have one at the single pilot flame. I do not presume to know what anyone else has on their stove, but I will say that a gas appliance without a thermocouple safety device is an accident waiting to happen
Old 16-02-2020, 17:37   #40

Boat: O'day 34, O'day 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disailor View Post
My stove does not have a thermocouple at the burners. It does have one at the single pilot flame. I do not presume to know what anyone else has on their stove, but I will say that a gas appliance without a thermocouple safety device is an accident waiting to happen
I am reasonably certain the ranges that were on both of our boats do not have them on the top burners, only the oven. That being said, we do have a propane control valve that has a sniffer mounted directly under the range. We only activate the propane solenoid when we are using the range, and never leave it unattended.

Scott
Scott Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 17:54   #41

Sniffer is a must with propane!
Old 16-02-2020, 18:17   #42

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

The thermocouple on each of the top burners on a Seaward Princess 2172 stove (mine has them) is part N. But... I don't think WacoLen has said what stove he has.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-con...ss%20Stove.pdf

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 20:52   #43

Thank you to everyone with the responses. The stove is a Hillerange 2-burner stove with oven, a 2000-2001 vintage. It is original to my 2001 boat. It has worked recently in temperatures of upper 50’s. The gas is definitely propane, although I have no way of knowing if it is a mixture.

Since we are talking about temperatures 5-10 degrees above freezing, the regulator nor moisture would not be freezing, but could be sticking due to lower temperatures or lower pressure. Also, the gauge at the regulator shows 90 when cold and 120 when warm.

From the responses here, I suspect the regulator. I will try to listen for the “clicking” sound. Usually I can hear the propane before the gas ignites and at the times when it won’t light, I don’t hear anything.
WacoLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 21:09   #44

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
I don’t remember if ours did or not, it may well have. I would think all stoves would, what else would keep you from filling up a house with explosive gas should the stove go out?
But not having ever had a house with a gas stove I don’t know
If you go to the Sure Marine site you'll see that older than 84 stoves may or may not have a thermopile.
I assure you mine Does not on the Top burners, in the oven, yes.
Wrong or right it is what it is.
BTW, I always turn off the Solenoid after cooking, safety protocol.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 07:33   #45

Propane heats my home at -35. It used to heat my camper at -35 too bit the tank would develop ice and "freeze" forcing the need to switch to a tank that had been stored indoors. In an hour or so, I would switch tanks again. Patio heater with two pound tank also would ice up without "cooling fins" attached in ambient temperatures below 40.
Try checking your tank, regulator, and lines for icing and insulate them if ice is forming.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, stove