Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2023, 14:18   #1

Private Mooring

Hey everyone was just doing some research I'd like to install a mooring on the east coast somewhere being a full time livaboard the place doesn't matter I can pull hook and sail anywhere but the important part is being able to install a legal mooring I can't seem to find much online besides if your a waterfront land owner you can have your own mooring
Kenneth_Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 15:07   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Private Mooring

In Maine mooring permits are issued by the towns but the most popular harbors probably have a waiting list for available spaces. As important as a mooring permit one needs a place of access to the harbor and parking for shore based conveyance and one needs to contract with a competent mooring construction and maintenance company. Our mooring weighs over 3500 pounds. One does not service that with the swim platform of a yacht.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 15:55   #3

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Maryland has extremely liberal rules concerning moorings. There are a very few highly regulated places, Solomon's Island and Annapolis come to mind. The vast majority have a blanket permit, with extremely reasonable restrictions. Off the top of my head, your swing circle can't block more than a third of the waterway, you can't block an owner from their property, and you can't block a marked channel. After that, put it wherever you want.

Of course, not much opportunity to get ashore! The vast majority of the Chesapeake shore is privately owned land.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 16:32   #4

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

It varies from town to town, State to State. In NY and in Maine they harbors are very regulated with dedicated mooring fields. You can anchor pretty much anywhere but if you stay in one place long enough someone will come knocking. Usually looking for you to move on or get permits. What may be a more important question to ask is where are you going to be landing your dinghy? Where are you getting water? Pumping out?

I commuted for 6 years from Ny to CT via sailboat. Anchoring every night outside of the CT side was never a problem. After making friends with the harbormaster, he told me he goes home at 1700 and doesn't come in until 0700. If he's not there, he doesn't see me. Wink, Wink. I greatly appreciated that as we had an apartment rented right across the street. If I slept in I had to pay, Most times.

Check with the local authority but the hard part will be coming ashore.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring