Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 09:19   #1

Price difference

Newbie question about the reason for the significant disparity of used boat prices, for example a 30 ft Catalina can be listed for $6-7 k and another of same age for 100 k , what could possibly be the reason for such big difference?
Sailortobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:35   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Price difference

Take a look at the cheap one first and then the expensive one. I think you will get it right away.
sailormed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 25

Two boats even of the same make and year can vary widely in their condition. One might be "cruise ready" while another is a project boat.
Another factor is the owner's urgency to sell.
Shopping for a boat is very much NOT like shopping for a used car in terms of available pricing guides.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:40   #4

I think your price range is a bit extreme. OK... More than a bit.

But it is like anything else, a junker is cheap and a premium boat is expensive. There are a lot of junk boats on the market, and very few premium ones. And some people selling a boat use what I would call "aspirational pricing." They have no real desire to sell a boat, but if you paid them enough they could be persuaded.

You will find no bargains at the bottom of the price range, they will all cost you more in repairs than you save at purchase. The very top prices are also usually unrealistic. The best buys are usually above the average price, but below the top 10%.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:40   #5

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

condition, Condition, CONDITION
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:46   #6

As noted it's often condition or age. Cat 30's have been as low as $7k now and then for years. Some aren't that bad, just need a lot. Some have an atomic 4 gas engine in them. A few have the old horizontal cylinder Yanmar diesel which is not a loved engine. The best have the Universal diesel.
If a boat needs varnish, sails etc, that stuff is expensive and adds up. Many don't want to do the work to get more money.

Occasionally there is a bargain out there if you analyze closely.

Then there's the issue with virgin sellers asking too much. Brokers don't help with this either. They get the seller enthused to let them do the listing with a high value. That way the broker gets half of the sale whomever sells it. A year later the seller takes 70% of that value to get it sold.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 11:40   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

1. Another aspect I've seen more than a handful of times, is where the owner is growing in to his/her golden years. So far as the family are concerned, Dad say, isn't able to manage the boat and so should get rid of it.

But owner doesn't really intend to sell the boat and give up the dream, but that family are pressuring. So owner lists boat at a price he/she knows it will never sell at. (Well if an idiot does come along, and is willing to pay way over the top, why not?)

But the listing shuts family up, at least for a few months, and keeps the boat.

2. Alternatively the owner has died. The family just see a liability, mooring fees, insurance, security and maintenance costs. Family members just want those liabilities to go away and so the sooner boat sold the better.

When no one in the family has any interest or knowledge, buyers can find very very good bargains.

3. Or even more extreme, but not uncommon, owner dies without a will, there's no family claim, and so the marina is left with the problem of no one paying the mooring fees.

4. The owner can't or wont pay the mooring fees. Eventually the slip owner/marina takes action and take possession of the boat in lieu.

5. Boat has been an insurance write off and is being sold on behalf of the insurance company. Some great bargains are to had by the discerning and knowledgeable buyer this way.

In scenarios where the seller is a third party and their interest is limited, then so long as they cover their costs they're often satisfied to do the deal. Typically they don't want a problem boat because most boats have ongoing costs. Sure they know that the boat is worth more, but they don't benefit from this. Laws in most locales expect the 'profit' should go to the owner or his/her estate.
Old 22-12-2020, 12:21   #8

Boat: Hanse 430e

A 1976 Catalina 30 and a 2014 Catalina 31 are two very different boats. My god just look at the pictures and descriptions on Yachtworld. Can you not understand that>?
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 12:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
A 1976 Catalina 30 and a 2014 Catalina 31 are two very different boats. My god just look at the pictures and descriptions on Yachtworld. Can you not understand that>?
Sailortobe did say "same age".
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 12:45   #10

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
They have no real desire to sell a boat, but if you paid them enough they could be persuaded.
Yeah.

Wife says “That boat has to go”. Husband says “I’ve been trying to sell it for months, nobody seems to want it. Not my fault”. The ad says “1976 Catalina 30 for sale, great condition, $100,000 or near cash offer”
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 22:29   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailortobe View Post
Newbie question about the reason for the significant disparity of used boat prices, for example a 30 ft Catalina can be listed for $6-7 k and another of same age for 100 k , what could possibly be the reason for such big difference?
I’m wondering where you see this range? I just did a quick look on sailboatlistings, and I see very few Catalina 30s in the 100k and up range, and those are all newish models. Within a given year, the range seems more like a factor of 2 (newer models can be 60-120k, whereas older models are 20-40k). As others have said, some of that can be quickly attributed to condition of the boat by looking at the listing, and the rest is the psychology of the seller.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, price