Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 14:44   #1

Boat: Boatless
Prepping?

How many of you equip your vessel as a “bug out” destination and if so what special considerations have you employed?

Has it crossed your mind?
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 14:58   #2

Prepping? .... hell ya !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
How many of you equip your vessel as a “bug out” destination and if so what special considerations have you employed?

Hell Ya, always ready to go on vacation for a couple years if need be, we ( the gang ) already have a pre-determined muster location.

Oh ya... for sure
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 15:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Prepping?

My home is mobile . Have 2 watermaker and 6 months freeze dried meals plus at least another 6 months of canned goods. Plus staples.
Tanks are always at least close to full. ( water 30, diesel 25, gasoline for genny 6 and propane 2 5 gallon tanks. )
Old 19-02-2018, 15:28   #4

Boat: 32 contessa

At home we have a 3000 sq. nursery , we grow everything we need (Not want) so we do buy some stuff , In the RV we always have it stocked (food meds guns )
In the Yacht we are always stocked as best we can I don't leave fire arms on for obvious reasons , but there is rotated can food and dry food , we don't have a water maker in the boat but if i upgrade to a 40footer i will get one , 32 Foot is on the small side for a water maker in my view ,

As for the doomsday prep we have enough medication for 6 months , we have antibiotics (broad spectrum ) we have the usual panadol ect and a staple suture kit with staple remover ,, (cheap ,, $4 at the drug store )
we have HF SSB VHF and UHF trancievers
(amature radio call sign VK2LOZ )

Im a reloader so we have a few thousand rounds of .223 and 10,000 rounds of the good old .22 LR ,

add that to the $1000`s of dollars worth of fishing gear so food should be ok ,,

As with diesel fuel ,,, I'm stuck ,,
Thats where i would like some help

if you keep it to long it gets bacteria then in containers there is rust or condensation ?

Its some thing we all need and it has a bad shelf life , Unlike the old days when it had more sulphur I would love to know if there is anything we have missed.
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 16:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prepping?

I do yoga... makes it less painful bending over and kissing my ass goodbye..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 16:07   #6

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'

I believe it is fair to say that MOST sailors are also preppers, whether they are consciously preparing for EOTW (end of the world) or simply provisioning their vessel for self-sufficiency and redundancy - in either case both parties would end up doing very similar things...

I am a second generation prepper. Since our boat is landlocked on a lake, we would not retreat there unless the scenario was zombies that could not swim or something along those lines! Even if we had a larger vessel on the coast - I would personally be hesitant to get on the boat with the family except to move to safer land someplace or as a last resort. My concerns with surviving on the boat long term would be ability to hide and ability to defend myself.

Although the ocean is so immensely large - there is nowhere to hide. I wonder who would stumble upon eachother first - several boaters spread out over hundreds of square miles of flat water? Or several lubbers spread out over just 100 acres of forest or even city?

Although we have self-defense weapons - they are not super high-end military grade - and we are not highly trained in their use. I would be afraid of my boat being shot by snipers from miles away before I could even see them. If agents of the military are also not friendly in whatever scenario, it may be easier for a satellite, spy plane, or naval ship to find survivors on the water compared to on land (assuming in this case being found would not be good).

This is an interesting topic, and I know for certain one of the aspects of sailing that attracted me to it is the self-sufficiency, preparation, and self-reliance that comes along with the lifestyle. It is empowering to feel in control, have plan A,B,C,D and feel confident you have the ability to find a way through any challenge.
Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 17:42   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinchi View Post
I believe it is fair to say that MOST sailors are also preppers
Please do not include me in that sweeping statement. I don't even own a tinfoil hat.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 21:07   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post

If I read a post about "prepping" a couple of years back I would of privately ridiculed the writer as paranoid BUT now I must admit it's crossed my mind, which is sad.

The current narrative I hear (read) particularly from the US in regards to Russia etc concerns me, it feels to me as if the cold War is really emerging (what's wrong with these people).

I don't have any special considerations employed as the boat is already a great "bug out" vessel with good solar, water maker and Hf, just add fuel and food, I'm fairly certain I could be off the grid for 12mths or more with enough canned food.

Where do you go? Depends on where you are. For me from here it would be be Chagos, very remote accept for the fact there's a large US military Base on one of the islands, don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Obviously this is all tin hat stuff but my big concern would be civil unrest, I'd be trying to keep away from the masses.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 21:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Please do not include me in that sweeping statement. I don't even own a tinfoil hat.
tinfoil hat ?

Where do i get mine ,,, i want a tinfoil hat
Old 19-02-2018, 21:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
If I read a post about "prepping" a couple of years back I would of privately ridiculed the writer as paranoid BUT now I must admit it's crossed my mind, which is sad.

The current narrative I hear (read) particularly from the US in regards to Russia etc concerns me, it feels to me as if the cold War is really emerging (what's wrong with these people).

I don't have any special considerations employed as the boat is already a great "bug out" vessel with good solar, water maker and Hf, just add fuel and food, I'm fairly certain I could be off the grid for 12mths or more with enough canned food.

Where do you go? Depends on where you are. For me from here it would be be Chagos, very remote accept for the fact there's a large US military Base on one of the islands, don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Obviously this is all tin hat stuff but my big concern would be civil unrest, I'd be trying to keep away from the masses.
my biggest concern for bugging out would not be civil unrest directly but rather the unrest that will be due to the effects of low solar activity and high volcanic activity. Such as the eruption yesterday of sinabung volcano in Indonesia.
Old 19-02-2018, 22:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
my biggest concern for bugging out would not be civil unrest directly but rather the unrest that will be due to the effects of low solar activity and high volcanic activity. Such as the eruption yesterday of sinabung volcano in Indonesia.

My biggest fear would be the 128 million Indonesian moving to Australia ,

I don't like sharing ,,

and so i dont get my wrist slapped again i have left the font small
( if there are spelling mistakes i`m sorry , I cant read text thats 2mm tall )
Old 20-02-2018, 00:55   #12

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Really? I am pretty sure that no-one I know would even have any thought of preparing for something like this, especially here in Australia.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 01:48   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I do yoga... makes it less painful bending over and kissing my ass goodbye..
What, you mean you don't have 10,000 rounds of ammo on board for living on the West Coast of Europe, isn't that really risky?

I am in the same boat, what should we do? I only have a boat hook for self defence. I have used the boat hook to pin a rather slippery Eel I caught up the river at Wareham but I don't think that counts. The Eel did go back rather than be eaten so we are not fully committed preppers just yet.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 02:17   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

What scenario do you prep for? And which scenario has acceptable solutions?

Natural desaster: For local desasters (storms, flooding, snow, ...) we are somewhat prepared at home. Enough food for a few months, camping cooker with enough cartridges for months, enough wood for the stove to run 24/7 for months, a pond nearby and a military grade emergency water filter good for several months of water.
This is just little effort reqired for rotating our food stores.

Civil unrest: happens in crowded areas and large cities. Obvious choice is to not live in a city. I never liked cities anyway.

Large scale nuclear pollution, possibly caused by a terrorist attac on a nuclear power plant or a dirty bomb. Just don't live anywhere near a potential target. Not even the dumbest terrorist will waste a dirty bomb on our region.

Aliens, Zombies & Vampires: Tons of garlic and no shower for weeks should be enough!

Global incidents like an Armageddon style meteor impact, or 2012 style seismic activity: Nothing we can do. Our boat is self sufficient for months but its unlikely to make it to a safe zone. In a global incident there may be no safe zone, and even if there is: the rapid changes in climate that made us leave home will likely cause unseen weather around the planet. Unlikely to make it anywhere. So this just extends the time of misery.

WW3? I'd go to the nearest military base and hope the nuke explodes right on my head.
I certainly don't want to be a survivor of a global nuclear war.
One has only the choice between nasty alternatives: Die relatively fast (anywhere in a populated area). Die slowly and painfully (remote island anywhere on earth). Live alone in a rat hole until running out of food and then die slowly (the bunker). I prefer to be vaporized in a millisecond.
I happen to live near one of the largest military fuel reserves in Europe. A huge bunker complex hidden in the woods a kilometer away. Maybe not a primary target but hopefully a secondary, so I expect to be one of the first to receive a nuke.

Climate change (human made or not doesn't matter): This is a relatively slow process, and so far we can't say where the safe regions are. My guess is I'll be dead before this becomes a real threat, at least in Germany. The global flooding caused by all ice melting would convert my hill top properties into beach front homes

I prefer to enjoy life as long as it lasts instead of wasting my time on the myriad of threats I can't change anyway.

Obviously I'm bored right now and need a break from winter. Next week I'll go to the boat and start prepping: oil changes, antifouling, cleaning, ...
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 02:21   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What, you mean you don't have 10,000 rounds of ammo on board for living on the West Coast of Europe, isn't that really risky?
I still have my childhood slingshot and 10.000+ pebbles are easy to find. Does that count??
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote