Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 00:08   #91

Re: Prepping?

Man, I really need to get back to work on that dystopian novel.
Wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 01:53   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

[QUOTE=Robert Tilbury;2582795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Continually ready for the zombie apocalypse and restock most when we get to 50%

A years supply of beans, rice and various curries, chillies, sauces and spices.

:
You didnt mention toilet paper. I think you should add toilet paper with those foods...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 03:46   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
... Just out of curiosity do watermakers remove radiation? ...
Evidently , reverse osmosis is effective at removing most (but not all) radioactive particles (radionuclides) from your drinking water.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/safewater/radi...erse%20Osmosis

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcm.../#72f214582a66

And, on the lighter side:
"For that Healthy Glow, Drink Radiation!"
https://www.popsci.com/scitech/artic...rink-radiation

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 05:24   #94

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Evidently , reverse osmosis is effective at removing most (but not all) radioactive particles (radionuclides) from your drinking water.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/safewater/radi...erse%20Osmosis

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcm.../#72f214582a66

And, on the lighter side:
"For that Healthy Glow, Drink Radiation!"
https://www.popsci.com/scitech/artic...rink-radiation
Thanks Gord. I posted as a tongue and cheek jab, like I always do when topics get heated and people get too serious. However radiation removal by reverse osmosis makes a watermaker as, or more, important than ammo rounds.

You really are the fountain of knowledge.

Here's another pro tip;

1: remove lead from internal ballast to free up storage space.
2: replace with live rounds of ammunition.
3: don't run aground.

goat

P.S. Newhaul, I have a few friends that are Mormon, when I owned a traditional archery shop we would shoot together. They obviously practiced with their families on their home evenings cause they could kick ass at my 3-D range.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 06:13   #95

From having been through one heck of a disaster, (Katrina) clean drinkable water is the most basic necessity. You can work around everything else, but no water to drink is a huge problem. Since Katrina, the only thing we stockpile is water.
Old 22-02-2018, 06:42   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

P.S. Newhaul, I have a few friends that are Mormon, when I owned a traditional archery shop we would shoot together. They obviously practiced with their families on their home evenings cause they could kick ass at my 3-D range.
bingo.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:08   #97
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prepping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
From having been through one heck of a disaster, (Katrina) clean drinkable water is the most basic necessity. You can work around everything else, but no water to drink is a huge problem. Since Katrina, the only thing we stockpile is water.
Yup.. one can go a long time on minimum or no food.. but no water and your gone in no time.. bad water and your gone a bit later in a bad way..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:51   #98

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

I think its safe enough to proclaim I am the best curry chef in cruising community.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:55   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
I think its safe enough to proclaim I am the best curry chef in cruising community.
Me thinks perhaps not grasshopper.............
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 08:10   #100

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

I avoid LA where the Zombie Apocalypse is well underway.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 08:12   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I do yoga... makes it less painful bending over and kissing my ass goodbye..
Couldn't have followed a better post, comedy is all in the timing.

Old 22-02-2018, 08:22   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
tinfoil hat ?

Where do i get mine ,,, i want a tinfoil hat
I got a pretty nice one from the hospital last time I got a new ball joint in my hand, I was gonna share it with my buddy who was awful worried about where our country was going. It didn't work, and he's still drinking the koolaid.

Old 22-02-2018, 08:53   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
What scenario do you prep for? And which scenario has acceptable solutions?

Natural desaster: For local desasters (storms, flooding, snow, ...) we are somewhat prepared at home. Enough food for a few months, camping cooker with enough cartridges for months, enough wood for the stove to run 24/7 for months, a pond nearby and a military grade emergency water filter good for several months of water.
This is just little effort reqired for rotating our food stores.

Civil unrest: happens in crowded areas and large cities. Obvious choice is to not live in a city. I never liked cities anyway.

Large scale nuclear pollution, possibly caused by a terrorist attac on a nuclear power plant or a dirty bomb. Just don't live anywhere near a potential target. Not even the dumbest terrorist will waste a dirty bomb on our region.

Aliens, Zombies & Vampires: Tons of garlic and no shower for weeks should be enough!

Global incidents like an Armageddon style meteor impact, or 2012 style seismic activity: Nothing we can do. Our boat is self sufficient for months but its unlikely to make it to a safe zone. In a global incident there may be no safe zone, and even if there is: the rapid changes in climate that made us leave home will likely cause unseen weather around the planet. Unlikely to make it anywhere. So this just extends the time of misery.

WW3? I'd go to the nearest military base and hope the nuke explodes right on my head.
I certainly don't want to be a survivor of a global nuclear war.
One has only the choice between nasty alternatives: Die relatively fast (anywhere in a populated area). Die slowly and painfully (remote island anywhere on earth). Live alone in a rat hole until running out of food and then die slowly (the bunker). I prefer to be vaporized in a millisecond.
I happen to live near one of the largest military fuel reserves in Europe. A huge bunker complex hidden in the woods a kilometer away. Maybe not a primary target but hopefully a secondary, so I expect to be one of the first to receive a nuke.

Climate change (human made or not doesn't matter): This is a relatively slow process, and so far we can't say where the safe regions are. My guess is I'll be dead before this becomes a real threat, at least in Germany. The global flooding caused by all ice melting would convert my hill top properties into beach front homes

I prefer to enjoy life as long as it lasts instead of wasting my time on the myriad of threats I can't change anyway.

Obviously I'm bored right now and need a break from winter. Next week I'll go to the boat and start prepping: oil changes, antifouling, cleaning, ...
I'm bored too, but Rabbi, you hit on a couple of points; living out of town, which means having a lot of items naturally stockpiled, lots to eat, but I'd have to own an ark and the girls hate hate it when I talk about horse cuts while firing up the BBQ out on the lake.
There is something to be said about living a long way from town avoiding the crime, politics, zombies.

Old 22-02-2018, 10:52   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

In my mind the function of a boat as a “prep” is two fold.

1) As a short term abode to ride out some local disturbance. We used to live in center city Philadelphia. It’s not unthinkable that riots could make our home untenable. We cold just go to the boat and wait out the worst of the storm the. Return to home if there is any left. If not any left we have someplace to stay while rebuilding.

2) As a means of transportation to an alternative living accommodation. We have a small cabin in a remote part of Canada, Newfoundland. My Mother’s family’s is from there and we have many relatives there and I’m a Canadian citizen. So should we be faced with some more serious calamity we. Like relocate to there and be relatively safe and comfortable. If for some reason that was not OK when we could evaluate other options.

In the meantime we have become full time liveaboards much of the year, summers spent in Newfoundland. I fail to see the downside to this thinking.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:31   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
In my mind the function of a boat as a “prep” is two fold.

1) As a short term abode to ride out some local disturbance. We used to live in center city Philadelphia. It’s not unthinkable that riots could make our home untenable. We cold just go to the boat and wait out the worst of the storm the. Return to home if there is any left. If not any left we have someplace to stay while rebuilding.

2) As a means of transportation to an alternative living accommodation. We have a small cabin in a remote part of Canada, Newfoundland. My Mother’s family’s is from there and we have many relatives there and I’m a Canadian citizen. So should we be faced with some more serious calamity we. Like relocate to there and be relatively safe and comfortable. If for some reason that was not OK when we could evaluate other options.

In the meantime we have become full time liveaboards much of the year, summers spent in Newfoundland. I fail to see the downside to this thinking.
the biggie downside for you personally is you aren't on the boat full time