Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 11:27   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Prepping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
tinfoil hat ?

Where do i get mine ,,, i want a tinfoil hat
eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegasus-Joh...EAAOxypNtSjXTW

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 12:07   #77

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Never mind EMP and all that stuff.... all some power on the Eurasian land mass has to do is sever all the North Atlantic and Pacific undersea fiber optic cables .... and then...
Old 21-02-2018, 14:21   #78

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

When I see someone with:

a month's food supply
water storage
30-60 days of essential medicine
heating and cooking fuel
1 gun.

I think "prepared."

When I see someone with:

10 guns.
a bugout location
a bugout bag
a lot of cammo
a bunch of freeze-dried food
6 gallons of water
10,000 rounds of ammo

I think "prepper."
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 14:46   #79

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post

When I see someone with:

10 guns.
a bugout location
a bugout bag
a lot of cammo
a bunch of freeze-dried food
6 gallons of water
10,000 rounds of ammo

I think "prepper."
The rest of the world probably thinks "nutter"
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 14:50   #80

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I live on my boat so prep is easy. I watch who the preppers are. When SHTF I steal their boat. Meanwhile tacos y tequila.

Life is easy.

Just out of curiosity do watermakers remove radiation? Asking for a friend. My current boat doesn't have one.

Pro tip; that Mormon family down the street has a years worth of food stockpiled.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 15:16   #81

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd say that in the States its not whose got the most food and water stockpiled that will survive.. but the person with the most weapons and ammo..
Actually, I think it would be the biggest group with weapons and ammo.

If civilization totally collapsed (and I'd say there are far more likely things to be concerned about) I think you would soon have roving bands of 100 or so heavily armed guys taking (and doing) whatever they want. Women would be property. An individual, or family, wouldn't dare reveal themselves by planting crops, or even having a fire. Not sure how you prep for that, except to leave. And go where?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 15:35   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Greg,

While I do agree with some of what you say, you don't honestly thing were the only government in the world that has access to EMP weapons do you? Russia and China almost assuredly have this capability as well. What strikes me about threat mitigation and planning and preparing is that getting ready for a CME/EMP threat also carries over to hacking of critical infrastructure. In case your not aware our CI is being hacked daily, mapped, etc. All pre-indicators for a coming attack. We called it reconnaissance in the military and probing.
Russian Hackers Could Seriously Damage U.S. Infrastructure | Fortune
Hacking Critical Infrastructure is Accelerating and More Destructive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...swords-n548661
No one has access to a wide scale EMP other than nuclear powers because the only way we know how to make a large EMP is with nuclear weapons. Yes targeted EMP weapons exist, but they act on buildings not cities and certainly not entire electric grids. Any thought of a wide scale EMP pulse without recognizing that nuclear war has just broken out is simply science fiction not reality.

As for CME's. Yes they do occur, yes it is possible that one could do substantial harm to the energy grid. And we should absolutely harden infrastructure against it. But a Carrington level event is exceedingly rare, something on the order of 1:500 years. But we are not completely defenseless even today. Early detection would allow grids to be shut down and sensors turned off hours before even the fastest storm would hit. In a worst case scenario we would have a few hours notice, in a more realistic one a day or so.

As for events like the Quebec event... Well localized destruction is localized. We are pretty good at picking up the pieces from those. Even if parts of the grid went down the likelihood that the entire country would be driven back to the dark ages for decades is pretty hard to swallow.

And hacking... well sure its a concern, and building out a more resilient grid would be a great idea. But even a worse case isn't going to end civilization. We have hundreds of grids in the US, even if we lost some or even a good number of them the rest would keep on ticking.

Don't get me wrong, I live in New Orleans and am prepared to ride out a hurricane, and 7-10 days of self sufficiency at all times. But the idea that any event is going to drive the US back to the stone ages is just silly. Well short of a planet killer asteroid, in which case canned food isn't going to matter anyway.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 15:45   #83

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

The settlement of the western US shows when there is lawlessness sooner or later community steps in and order takes its place. Granted that's not 100% and the transition is not always pretty. I believe in the overall goodness of people but still plan to protect me and mine.

I think initial stockpiling is just to get you past the initial civil disorder until you can find a like-minded group.

While I think a global issue is unlikely a regional issue is always on the table (man-made or natural disasters can happen everywhere). This is what I like a sailboat as a bug out vehicle.
Old 21-02-2018, 15:55   #84

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Being a cynic I'd say that in the States its not whose got the most food and water stockpiled that will survive.. but the person with the most weapons and ammo..
But as I said.. I'm a cynic.
I don't really think that prepping for shelter on land makes much sense. That's probably why so many sailors are preppers. It's easy to imagine how it could play out with the water escape, with a possibly successful survival strategy, but on land there would be too many complications.

If the government were not able to maintain control for some reason, then probably militias and corporate mercenary groups and army factions would form and be run by self appointed or corporate appointed "war lords". Smaller groups of young toughs would pop up in more remote areas. An individual could only hope to remain undiscovered, and when eventually overrun by one of these groups would have to do what they wanted, including (probably) give up the prepper stores. What could happen to loved ones too bad to contemplate.
Old 21-02-2018, 16:29   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And that's off the top of my head.
What?

Pretty sure you are not supposed to remove the hat.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 16:54   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I live on my boat so prep is easy. I watch who the preppers are. When SHTF I steal their boat. Meanwhile tacos y tequila.

Life is easy.

Just out of curiosity do watermakers remove radiation? Asking for a friend. My current boat doesn't have one.

Pro tip; that Mormon family down the street has a years worth of food stockpiled.

goat
yep us Mormons do however just be warned we also have guns and are schooled in proper use of them .
There are a dozen at girlfriends home. 3 boys me and her we also are bow hunters.
Old 21-02-2018, 18:13   #87

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Is "prepping" just an American thing, or do we have "preppers" from other places?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 18:27   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prepping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Is "prepping" just an American thing, or do we have "preppers" from other places?
In Europe they're called 'Hoarders'.. but the reasons are different.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 18:48   #89

Quote:
In Europe they're called 'Hoarders'.. but the reasons are different.
Yes, two different things and hoarders exist in the USA as well.

If society were to break down due to some event, there would quickly become a need for a new form of currency not paper backed by a central or radically different new government.

It seems reasonable to think that commodities would easily jump to the head of the list.

Add in the likely lawlessness and firearms and particularly ammunition would be pretty valuable.

So, someone with 10k of a popular caliber could easily be among the wealthiest of the new world order.

I don't lose sleep over it and I know that it is fashionable in some circled to mock those that might.

But those that grew up in the 60's - 80's remember the nerds who were also mocked before they later became rich geeks.

So these days I don't knock those I might need as a neighbor in the future. I just hope that they have 9mm and 12 gauge to go with that 22 LR.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 23:11   #90

Boat: 32 contessa

[QUOTE=Simi 60;2582081]Continually ready for the zombie apocalypse and restock most when we get to 50%

A years supply of beans, rice and various curries, chillies, sauces and spices.

You can park next to me ,
No tinfoil hat necessary Have you thought about medications we have a list (but with more coffee 6 cases Thats 6x24 )
Also i gave guns and ammo ,
I like to protect my friends family and i like to keep whats mine .

But seriously , medication is a must in my book , even broad spectrum antibiotics ,

Rob Vk2loz
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote