Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2022, 04:14   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27'
Question Preparation for truck transport...how-to advice

I will soon be having my Vancouver 27 transported from Denmark to Vigo Spain. The truck company seems solid and experienced and gave a realistic price. My issue is my own ignorance. Other than 1) remove deck items and rigging 2) putting everything but my mast and boom inside the boat and 3)Possibly having the boat wrapped. I really have no clue what else I am missing.

I can find no To-Do list for this process, no inclusive or detailed video or forum information.

I will need to fly to Denmark, move stored items and load them, move the mast and boom to the boat and have it all-ready for the truck. I need to try to coordinate their arrival and my work.

Are there items I should secure on-deck instead of in the boat? Do I need to have the boat wrapped? Should I paint the hull prior to moving so that they can simply launch on arrival? Do I self insure?

Any advice and links to resources would be greatly appreciated.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 11:37   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Preparation for truck transport...how-to advice

Everything you leave on the boat will be bouncing around when it is on the road, so all gear needs to be cushioned and fastened properly below so it does not damage anything - itself or the boat - in transit. All canvas (dodger, Bimini, covers...) should be stowed below. You don't want them flapping to shreds at 110km/hr, or even 80. You may want to remove electronics, depending upon how secure you think the boat will be in transit, and drive them yourself. Things left on deck may work loose or become targets for thieves. Give yourself plenty of time to prepare things. It could take more than weekend.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 13:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 31

As stated above all items on deck that can be removed, should be removed. Anything which is loose, such as turning blocks, should be wrapped with foam and secured. All hatches should be closed securely and taped to prevent water ingress. Your boat will be traveling at speeds duplicating a full gale or hurricane for much of the time. Prepare with that in mind. Secure all opening ports and tape them closed also. Remove dorade vents and install the screwed covers. Winches and windlass can be covered in plastic and taped. Tank vents should be taped. Pelican hooks or snap shackles for lifeline gates should be taped. Instrument covers should be taped in place. If you have an elk hide wheel cover wrap it in plastic and secure with tape. Battery cables should be removed from battery terminals. Sea cocks should be closed. I would not paint the bottom until you arrive. If you have security bars to deter the theft of items left in the cabin now is the time to deploy them but I would ship all expensive electronics separately or deliver them myself.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 13:57   #4

Yes, put any hard items cushioned inside on the floor or maybe V berth etc. Rigging fittings etc will wear a bad hole in anything they contact, like floors and cabinets etc. unless they have thick secured padding.
-pay particular attention to the mast; how it's held alongside the hull. How it is cushioned.
-Have arrangements to avoid too much vibration and rubbing of the mast.
-Have arrangements to avoid spreaders or the mast rubbing the hull.

I have shipped a boat 1200 miles twice. Damage occurred both times. This was a boat trucking company, not your average trucking company.
-One time there was a hole rubbed in the hull sides from a vertical member on the trailer.
-One time there was a hole rubbed in the aluminum mast. There were carpet remnants secured around the mast. It rubbed through.
-DO NOT close cockpit seacocks!
-Vinyl wrap is good, otherwise the front surfaces of the boat, including cabin trunk will have a multitude of bugs, diesel black exhaust and possibly chips in them.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 15:58   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

For sure cover boat, but you dont want your stanchions bent or better yet if can be easily removed.
Also immobilize/protect anything that is exposed or can move around like rudder/tiller,
stove.
hugosalt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice