Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 05:35   #16

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Powerboater Mental Health

What power boats are the issue as a general rule. Poontoon boats, fishing boats, sport fishing boats, go fast boats'?

My understanding is that a sailboat has the so called 'right of way'. (Except I believe a kayak has the utimate right of way).

I am amazed that during sailboat races the boats get so close to each other and sometimes bump.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:59   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some People the boat is an extension of their Ego,
Never heard the appendage called that before, but it is actually a good euphemism.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:04   #18

Boat: Selene 47

The term "Power Boater" is sorta broad. Since my cruising speed is normally about 6.5 knots, not that uncommon to have a sailboat overtake me. Especially when dealing with current. Then my SOG might even be at 3-4 knots.
Just saying........
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:06   #19

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
I think many like the big wake, again makes them look and feel like a BIG boat.

Some People the boat is an extension of their Ego....
Maybe so. We small and mostly slow powerboaters on the Inside Passage experience the same lack of consideration, often from 50-footers who seem to think it's not their problem if they throw a 3-4 foot wake in a narrow channel, or as they cross our bow absurdly close. It bounces us around a good bit more than it would a sailboat hull.

Sometimes we call them requesting slowing down a few knots, but their response (if any) is likely to be an insult.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:12   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This Thread is a perfect example of "Recreational Complaining"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:17   #21

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This Thread is a perfect example of "Recreational Complaining"
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:26   #22

I'm from Northern Ireland and a lot of power boaters here have no idea about even the basics of seamanship as the owner ship of such vessels is completely unregulated and no licensing is required to operate them . That said not all of them are like that and some so called professionals are just as bad I once had a pilot boat pass me at high speed in a narrow channel as I skippered a small passenger vessel with about 90 people onboard and his wake almost capsized me it was in the Victoria channel in Belfast harbour right beside the slipway that the titanic was built on

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jonnyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:56   #23

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
I think your difference is over there especially in larger vessels, they are Captained by professionals, often with a license they can lose etc. and I would think reputations are very important when looking for that next job?
Here unless your talking really big yachts, it's usually the owner, who has surprisingly little knowledge, and may or may not be trying to impress guests he has on board.

You run into this with aircraft, insurance requirements being what they are, very few private jets are flown by actual owners, but smaller airplanes usually are, as such you see a stream of stupidity in the smaller airplanes, but the jets usually not.

I'd just guess the insurance for a Super Yacht may require more training and experience than the average owner has?

I see no reason to separate power and sail, I think separation breeds discontent myself, I wish there were more power boaters here personally. I was once one, and may well become one again, but this time a single screw trawler most likely.
Yes I agree with you. I see even less reason to separate different types of sailing crafts.

Also agree in what regards professionals but not only: Some European countries demand licensees that imply formation for sailing sailboats but even more demand those licenses and formation for motorboaters.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:21   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The reason for many of the anti-powerboat posts in this thread is genetic. The tribal mentality is built into our DNA. Intellectually, some of our tribe do not recognize it and therefore lack the ability to deal with it. Recognize there are dumbshits in every tribe.

-Chris
Old 26-11-2015, 06:14   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Powerboater Mental Health

Well I AM getting a few insights from this thread topic.

All true, observations here on "recreational complaining", "tribal culture", differences in powerboater behavior here in US vs. EU, examples of poor seamanship on both sides, size matters, and most importantly as sailors we are more sensitive to impacts.

Maybe the value of this topic discussion is what is the most healthy outlook that we can develop given the nature of our reality?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:01   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I am friends with the professional skipper of large MV's. When he is on the boat alone, he will run at 8-9 kts leaving minimal wake. When the owners are aboard they want to get from dock to dock at the rated speed, sometimes as high as 18kts. There is little element of the "journey". Generally there is zero concern for the effect on others. The attitude is something like,"if you weren't a lazy slob, you would pull yourself up by your boot straps and have a big boat like me. Your problem with my wake is your own fault due to to your own failures."
The only saving grace is that running at rated speed is terribly expensive and destructive...they pay through the nose for it.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:07   #27

I didn't start the thread to rag on powerboaters in general, only to understand why some will go out of their way to cut in front of sailboats since this is a phenomena I have observed on and off for the better part of more than thirty years spent on the water and yet I still have no logical explanation for.

For example the guy in this photo came from wayyyy over on my starboard side and returned there after passing me. If he hadn't changed course we would have continued to diverge as we had not been on intercept courses despite being headed in roughly opposite directions. I just don't get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	114187  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:36   #28

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Powerboater Mental Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I didn't start the thread to rag on powerboaters in general, only to understand why some will go out of their way to cut in front of sailboats since this is a phenomena I have observed on and off for the better part of more than thirty years spent on the water and yet I still have no logical explanation for.

For example the guy in this photo came from wayyyy over on my starboard side and returned there after passing me. If he hadn't changed course we would have continued to diverge as we had not been on intercept courses despite being headed in roughly opposite directions. I just don't get it.

I never understood this until I married a recreational fisherman. Sailboaters prefer other boats to take their stern, so we don't lose our momentum or deal with a wake. Fishermen prefer other boats to take their bow, so that if they are trolling, their lines don't get cut. My spouse used to get annoyed with sailboats crossing his stern, and I hated powerboats crossing my bow.

Now, of course, many powerboaters are not into fishing, but somewhere they have learned that it's best to cross in front. Most of them truly do not know the problems they can cause.

We often troll from our sailboat, so we are never happy in a crossing situation!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:55   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think they just come over to get a look, they are moving at a mile every 2 min or so, so whats a half mile diversion? A lot of power boating is spent just looking around, and your something to look at
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:34   #30

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

As a power boater on occasion I like to stay out of heavy wake that a sail boat will throw up so I pass on the bow.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, men