Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 23:00   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Power draw of Nespresso type coffee machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Savana View Post
Those capsules have a plastic film so will take a lifetime+ to disappear in nature...like anything painted not to be tossed overboard if you want to take a sustainable and responsible approach.

I don't throw mine overboard.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 23:04   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Absolutely. I run a 1600W Victron inverter, which happily runs my 1200w microwave (requires 1500w). At night in really foul weather a big tin of chunky stew poured into two bowls and dinged for two minutes with a big hunk of bread is a lifesaver. Boiling water is a no-no in a heavy sea, and it’s rare to find a crew who’s happy to cook in those conditions. Even for tea, I put a teabag in an insulated cup with a firmly fitting sipper top, fill with water and microwave for 90 seconds. Quicker than any kettle, and no risk of scalding.

If only there were gimballed microwaves. Mine is hard to use when the boat is well heeled over, but I certainly agree about nuking canned or leftover food vs. cooking when sailing in strong weather. Altogether I guess I use my microwave more than the stove, even when not in strong weather. Incredibly useful device on a cruising boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 04-10-2019, 23:15   #93

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If only there were gimballed microwaves. Mine is hard to use when the boat is well heeled over, but I certainly agree about nuking canned or leftover food vs. cooking when sailing in strong weather. Altogether I guess I use my microwave more than the stove, even when not in strong weather. Incredibly useful device on a cruising boat.
I debated mounting mine on gimbals. Because of the arrangement of the galley the only place for the microwave is to the extreme right of a run of shelves. That meant a left-hinged microwave would have been really inconvenient especially for smaller crew. But I couldn’t for the life of me find a microwave hinged on the right. I settled for a bottom-hinged unit which is great for the location, but it’s also a convection and steam oven. I did consider mounting it (with an induction or gas hob above) in place of the gimballed stove. It would be a practical option on a LFP-equipped boat that had the power available to remove all propane.

But because it’s an open unit (i.e. there’s no rotating plate inside the microwave) it’s possible to place bowls and things in there leaning against the front or back for safety on an angle. Something worth considering.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 23:34   #94

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I've never used one but your question got me interested enough to track this down:
https://nowpresso.com/pages/tech-specs

It is rechargeable and draws only 56 watts at 12 volts, so that would be 4 2/3 Amps. Charges in 2.5 hours and will make 3 cups on a charge, so if it is just you drinking coffee that probably is OK. Interestingly it also lets you heat the water externally so if you boiled water and started with a thermos of hot water you could make all the coffee you would need for a crowd without recharging.
Unless I misread the tech specs, the trouble with this thing, apart from the price, is that it does not take Nespresso capsules. As the patent on those has run out you have a wide choice of originals or competitive substitutes.

Therefore a non-starter unless you want to stuff yourself with another less common proprietary capsule.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:05   #95

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Unless I misread the tech specs, the trouble with this thing, apart from the price, is that it does not take Nespresso capsules. As the patent on those has run out you have a wide choice of originals or competitive substitutes.

Therefore a non-starter unless you want to stuff yourself with another less common proprietary capsule.

True, but who is all that invested in the Nespresso standard anyway? I mean, I have one generic Nespresso system machine that was included as a freebie with, would you believe, some bags of dog food! And, currently, half a dozen pods in the container from the supermarket, as it makes no sense to stockpile something that loses its flavour over time.

If I were to change to another system, none of that would hold me back, I’d even put the Nespresso machine away in case I needed it later, it’s tiny.

As it is, I’m thinking of biting the bullet on some refillable stainless steel pods and then taking my conical burr grinder with me to use with either the pods or my Italian stove-top espresso machines, which I use when not under way.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:35   #96

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
True, but who is all that invested in the Nespresso standard anyway? I mean, I have one generic Nespresso system machine that was included as a freebie with, would you believe, some bags of dog food! And, currently, half a dozen pods in the container from the supermarket, as it makes no sense to stockpile something that loses its flavour over time.

If I were to change to another system, none of that would hold me back, I’d even put the Nespresso machine away in case I needed it later, it’s tiny.

As it is, I’m thinking of biting the bullet on some refillable stainless steel pods and then taking my conical burr grinder with me to use with either the pods or my Italian stove-top espresso machines, which I use when not under way.
With respect, you have missed the point GILow.

Sure, there are other systems. Including from Nespresso. All trying to profit from a patent. The original, and excellent, Nespresso system is now out of patent. So, as with drugs, supermarkets carry generics. Which translates into both price and availability. Albeit not necessarily quality. Ask my wife.

The availability being rather critical when sailing. Nespresso, genuine, is either delivered by post or in their shops. There may not be one nearby.

BTW, those shops are incredibly popular. London, Turin, Jerusalem. Makes no difference. Every one I have been to has been packed.

As an aside, the neutral review I recently read about refillable pods was pretty scathing as to the results.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:03   #97
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
A good job, but doesn't approach a Nespresso... we have French presses, aero press, etc. Nespresso rules... and I like the recycling...

Not even close. My family developed, manufactured and used coffee roasters since 1950. We know coffee. A common press - or even cold brewing - results in full flavored, smooth coffee that is so far superior to the burnt and wasteful Nopresso! method it isn't even debatable. Debating batteries, inverters, and the host of Nixpresso lookalikes - all of which make horrible coffee, is funny.

Those who believe otherwise have been brain warped by marketing, or really don't know coffee. Larry Pardey would have a good chuckle at all the gentlemen sailors who equip their sailing condos with all manner of unnecessary junk.

Carry on.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:16   #98

Boat: Dufour 310

Quote:

Sure, there are other systems. Including from Nespresso. All trying to profit from a patent. The original, and excellent, Nespresso system is now out of patent. So, as with drugs, supermarkets carry generics. Which translates into both price and availability. Albeit not necessarily quality. Ask my wife.

The availability being rather critical when sailing. Nespresso, genuine, is either delivered by post or in their shops. There may not be one nearby.

BTW, those shops are incredibly popular. London, Turin, Jerusalem. Makes no difference. Every one I have been to has been packed.

As an aside, the neutral review I recently read about refillable pods was pretty scathing as to the results.
Thanks for all the replies. My original question was about power draw and I did not invite or seek comments regarding ways of making coffee.

Indeed, there appear to be some very unhappy/angry people out there. Maybe you are commenting from your bunk prior to making coffee, which is a nice segway as to why I was thinking of using a Nespresso type machine as it is quick and simple. The pods now are not that expensive, storage is easy and waste dealt with reasonably. I also have other methods of stovetop coffee, especially if I have a group and as an Aussie, we take our coffee very seriously.

I thank all those of you who have helped with the discussion regarding power draw and types of pod machines.

I feel this topic has run its course and would respectfully ask that the admin shut it down.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:42   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So when you're bashing to windward in a small yacht with a F4, how do you use these machines ?

I have to put the mugs with a tea bag in the sink to pour the water from the kettle in, less it all spills. Cooking needs foulies in case a pan comes off the stove and goes the wrong way.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:16   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
Not even close. My family developed, manufactured and used coffee roasters since 1950. We know coffee. A common press - or even cold brewing - results in full flavored, smooth coffee that is so far superior to the burnt and wasteful Nopresso! method it isn't even debatable. Debating batteries, inverters, and the host of Nixpresso lookalikes - all of which make horrible coffee, is funny.. .
I would respectfully disagree about the "burnt" part. Nothing burnt about Nespresso coffee. On the contrary, the water temperature is better controlled than with most other methods -- one of the system's advantages.

You can't compare it to coffee from a French press -- that's a different style. I like both.

Besides the Nespresso machine, I have a nice stainless vacuum French press, and an Aeropress. I have a Japanese hand ceramic burr grinder and try to keep good quality freshly roasted beans (hard to do above the Arctic Circle, but anyway). I like all of this coffee for different occasions, but if I'm not serving a group of people, and especially under way, my go-to coffee is Nespresso.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-10-2019, 05:26   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These are both the best tasting, and the cheapest Nespresso pods I've ever tried, and I've tried just about everything:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solimo-Nesp...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

7 pence each!! That's less than 1/4 of the price of regular Nespresso. The Ristretto is absolutely delicious.

Only downside is they are plastic, not aluminium, so not as enviro-friendly, but still it is a tiny quantity of waste and can be recycled.

Speaking of environmental considerations: there was a study which found out that Nespresso is actually better than normal coffee, because the biggest environmental burden comes from the coffee itself, and the system is much more economical with coffee, making the total burden less per cup.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-10-2019, 08:13   #102

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Absolutely. I run a 1600W Victron inverter, which happily runs my 1200w microwave (requires 1500w). At night in really foul weather a big tin of chunky stew poured into two bowls and dinged for two minutes with a big hunk of bread is a lifesaver. Boiling water is a no-no in a heavy sea, and it’s rare to find a crew who’s happy to cook in those conditions. Even for tea, I put a teabag in an insulated cup with a firmly fitting sipper top, fill with water and microwave for 90 seconds. Quicker than any kettle, and no risk of scalding.
An interesting thing about the shelf stable meals is if you poke the lid with a fork and microwave it makes a minimal mess even in 30 ft seas on the nose with 60 knts of wind.

The little box bounced around inside the microwave due to the motion which just made it heat more evenly.

Oh yes, the little 1200 watt victron inverter only is a really nice compact device which has worked really well as the "always on" 110v source for the boat. I have the 350 watt version dedicated for the nav station and ships file server. Both are great.

Main charge source is 8kva victron quattro off a 6kva slow turn (1500 rpm) westerbeke generator.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 13:45   #103

Quote:

Not missing the point at all.

If you have the reusable pods and your own grinder, you no longer care which system you use, since you are using your own.

Availability no longer applies, just beans.

Easy.
Old 05-10-2019, 13:47   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. My original question was about power draw and I did not invite or seek comments regarding ways of making coffee.

I feel this topic has run its course and would respectfully ask that the admin shut it down.
Ha ha, the Internet does not work that way.

And we haven't even STARTED on which anchor to use while drinking our coffee or which guns to use to defend our anchored, coffee-drinking status.
Old 05-10-2019, 13:54   #105

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ha ha, the Internet does not work that way.

And we haven't even STARTED on which anchor to use while drinking our coffee or which guns to use to defend our anchored, coffee-drinking status.
What lights do you show when drinking coffee? Or day-shapes?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote