Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 09:11   #16

Re: Portholes on small boat

How about Starboard? I bought a new 1/2" sheet big enough to do about 4 of those portlites for $57 off Ebay. No painting, No glassing no mess.... frankly , cutting plywood without chipping pieces of wood out, radiusing, fiberglassing, sanding and painting sounds like a PITA.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:29   #17

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft

I guess i really dont have to use plywood, was just thinking it would give a nice wood looking finish. But i could just use plastic sheet. Starboard would also work.
Andrei123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:38   #18

Starboard $59 shipped: Taco D I Y 748 8100 Starboard Sheet White 12 x 27 x 1 2 UV Stabilized Marine | eBay
To my eyes plywood is going to look pretty hokey, even if well done.... unless you glass or epoxy over and make nice and smooth etc...

Old 14-05-2013, 10:14   #19

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I think you will spend more trying to make something look decent than you need to. Not using marine plywood is a big mistake as regular plywood will not hold up and in a very short period of time, you will have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes as you have to do them again. Even if you glass over it, the mat and supplies won't be as cheap as you think. If you want a nice looking wood surround, you need to use teak or maybe mahogany and let me just assure you (we are in the midst of a lot of teak work) it is seriously expensive stuff. If you make a mistake in your cutting, it gets REALLY expensive.

If all you need are frames and gaskets, you would really be silly to build them yourself when Beckson sells component parts for a very, very nice price.
Beckson Marine Inc.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 10:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I think you will spend more trying to make something look decent than you need to. Not using marine plywood is a big mistake as regular plywood will not hold up and in a very short period of time, you will have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes as you have to do them again. Even if you glass over it, the mat and supplies won't be as cheap as you think. If you want a nice looking wood surround, you need to use teak or maybe mahogany and let me just assure you (we are in the midst of a lot of teak work) it is seriously expensive stuff. If you make a mistake in your cutting, it gets REALLY expensive.

If all you need are frames and gaskets, you would really be silly to build them yourself when Beckson sells component parts for a very, very nice price.
Beckson Marine Inc.
There you go I looked for those but coulnt find them. Great way to go and easy....

Old 14-05-2013, 14:32   #21

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Have you tried New Found Metals in Port Townsend, WA? It sounds as though you love your boat enough to do it right.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote