Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 09:29   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Porta-bote or Inflatible?

I had a 12 foot porta used it until I found a used 14 . The 14 will do 18 knots with the wife kids ( two 7 year olds) and me plus all our fishing gear cooler crap. This is with a 15 hp two smoke ob at 1/2-3/4 throttle with the 6 it will do 12 or so. The seat motor mount setup is better on the 14 makes the sides stiffer. This could be changed on the smaller botes. Rows better than my 12 did because of this.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 09:30   #17
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
* Engine sizes (weights) are more limited. My 10-footer is limited to 56#, which translates to about a 3.5hp 4-stroke outboard. This limits your dingy speed, but b/c the botes are so light and travel so well, they still move very well with smaller outboards.
Mike,
I have a 2 stroke 8 HP on my 10'. She planes quickly and actually has better fuel economy than when I had a 4HP.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 18:57   #18

Boat: Bristol 24
So, the general consensus (Bash aside) is pro Porta-Bote it seems.

My boat is pretty small (Bristol 24) which makes the space considerations even more important. I was considering storing an inflatible on board and pumping it up when at a spot where a dinghy would be a huge asset. I felt that an inflatible would take up a bunch of room and, while I have heard of a Porta- Bote, I don't know anyone with one nor have I actually seen one.

I really like the idea of a folding boat for the obvious reasons of storability and functionality.

I am not overly worried about learning how to assemble it. That seems like a short learning curve and, I would think, the amount of time involved with doing it would be similar to inflating/de-inflating an inflatible. Lots lighter, too.

Thanks everyone!

Dan
Muscongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscongus View Post
So, the general consensus (Bash aside) is pro Porta-Bote it seems.

My boat is pretty small (Bristol 24) which makes the space considerations even more important. I was considering storing an inflatible on board and pumping it up when at a spot where a dinghy would be a huge asset. I felt that an inflatible would take up a bunch of room and, while I have heard of a Porta- Bote, I don't know anyone with one nor have I actually seen one.

I really like the idea of a folding boat for the obvious reasons of storability and functionality.

I am not overly worried about learning how to assemble it. That seems like a short learning curve and, I would think, the amount of time involved with doing it would be similar to inflating/de-inflating an inflatible. Lots lighter, too.

Thanks everyone!
I think you'll find once you try it a few times you'll be able to assemble it or unfold it in five to ten minutes. It's actually pretty easy. There is a picture of how I usually carry it assembled on board my 30 foot boat:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REPORT FROM ANNAPOLIS: PART 5: A PORTA-BOTE IMPROVEMENT
Old 14-11-2012, 20:26   #20

I have to state my ignorance here........so please bear with me.

I have read, in a few places, that the Porta-bote doesn't last. Now I know this is based on opinion, and I took it as such.

I was planning on an inflatable (RIB actually) for the Caribbean, but would like to keep the issue to a minimum.

I plan to have an outboard, probably a four stroke, so should I consider a Porta-bote?

I'm also reluctant to add dingy davits, but was going to travel with the dingy under the foresail.

I'm looking at 36 foot boats, to give an idea of room.

Opinions for you Porta-bote gurus.

James L
Old 14-11-2012, 20:57   #21

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

There is a company in Australia called Quickboats that makes a very nice folding boat like a much improved porta bote, its actually decent looking, i think its more expensive though. There are videos showing settup in less than a minute.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:58   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It really depends on what use you'll put the dinghy to. If your dink is to be your car or truck get an inflatable. If you intend going hunting or exploring far and wide, get an inflatable. If your dink trips are short, in sheltered areas and you prefer to row, a portabote will be fine.

Find the porta-bote.

I completely agree w/ Vasco. I had a 10' on a Pearson 303 while just cruising the SF Bay, central Cali coast and Delta. The primary reason for the PB over an inflatable was it was easy to stow. The hull was lashed to the forward stanchions/lifelines and the transom & seats took up the entire qtr berth. We would hoist it w/ a halyard and assemble it vertically against the mast, drop it overboard and attach a 4hp 2 stroke merc.

Now that we will be cruising full time a RIB is the way to go; better load carrying capacity, more stable and just a safer feeling in unprotected waters.

Oh, and also get rid of those flimsy aluminum oars immediately. I was rowing into a headwind and collapsed one while it was in the oarlock then collapsed the other using it as a paddle.
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 21:06   #23
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
I have read, in a few places, that the Porta-bote doesn't last. Now I know this is based on opinion, and I took it as such.
Opinions for you Porta-bote gurus.

James L
Pardon me while I wipe the tears from my eyes.

From laughing so hard...

We have had an 8' for 3 years now. It was eight years old when we got it and had been stowed on top of the flybridge of a huge dock queen, with no cover at all.

We keep it either on the stanchions or upside down on a rope net at the front of the slip. When we left it in the water too long and it got yucky we cleaned it by powerwashing. Came clean in a single pass.

If a dingy could be called abused, this one is. But it looks fine and works perfectly. We put a new transom on her because the years out in the elements had delaminated the original. Still usable, but ugly.

Longevity is not your problem. I know a man with a 10 footer that's older, has the double ended canoe design. He uses it every day to get out to his mooring at half moon bay.

I am 5'1", 110lbs and I can set it up by myself. Maybe around 15 minutes.

The floor has a different feel than an inflatable, squishier, but once you get used to it it's just as stable on the water. First time I stepped aboard one it felt like the floor was going to give way under me, now I just keep my knees a bit bent and tromp around as needed.

Used on Craigslist is how to buy. Add a light weight out board. It's an excellent set up.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42   #24

Boat: Valiant 50

On the issue of dryness, there seems to be two opposing opinions on this thread.

Anyhow, PB owners:

How does your PB handle 2 -3 ft seas in a choppy anchorage?
Would you be happy to motor 30 minutes on a dark, windy night in such conditions in one?
Does it handle 25- 30kt winds?
Would you be happy taking it through the surf line to and from a beach?

I'm seriously considering a 12 footer coupled with a Torquedo 3HP equivalent. On paper this sounds like a match made in heaven.
Old 10-01-2013, 00:59   #25
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
On the issue of dryness, there seems to be two opposing opinions on this thread.

Anyhow, PB owners:

How does your PB handle 2 -3 ft seas in a choppy anchorage?
Would you be happy to motor 30 minutes on a dark, windy night in such conditions in one?
Does it handle 25- 30kt winds?
Would you be happy taking it through the surf line to and from a beach?

I'm seriously considering a 12 footer coupled with a Torquedo 3HP equivalent. On paper this sounds like a match made in heaven.

I have a 10 ft with an 8 hp. The motor is at the high end of the weight limit for a motor.

2-3 ft chop is ok, but I usually try to avoid more than that. I do not normally install the splash guard at the bow unless there is a strong chop. I have enough hp that I can overpower any turning moment from the wind.

On the issue of dampness, It all depends upon wind angle and speed. Usually a slight change of heading will reduce any spray you have.

I don't have much experience with surf lines. The boat is light and the surf can push you just like in an inflatable.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:23   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Got an initial response from PB that did not answer the question on retro fitting an existing boat. I wrote back and pointed them to this thread. Lets see if they show up.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:17   #27

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
I agree with Sarafina and LJH...... These are great dinks. My 12' is only 6 years old and has never been anything but fun. My Nissan 4 stroke 6hp pushes us along at 15 mph on GPS with full gas tank tackle box, couple of poles and a small cooler. I have no negatives about my Lil dink. Never had any failures of any kind.

May you have Fair Winds n following Seas...

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22   #28

Boat: Balboa 27

I was planning to get a 10' porta-bote to use as a dinghy on my balboa 27, but changed my mind and got an inflatable instead based on a friend's experience using a porta-bote on his ericson 27. Some of the issues he had:

1) There isn't enough deck space on a 27' to assemble the portaboat. He had to put it crosswide on his cockpit coamings to assemble it, which was awkward.
2) You can tow an inflatable in a lot more conditions than you can safely tow a portaboat, so he had to assemble/disassemble the portaboat every day, even if he was just sailing a few miles to another anchorage.
3) The portaboat doesn't make a very good snorkeling or diving platform. It's a lot easier to climb into an inflatable than a portaboat.
4) while the portaboat hull is easy to carry tied against the rail, the seats and transom take up considerable space. He actually replaced the stock seats and transom with pieces he made himself out of plywood in order to save space.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:31   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

had a portabote--HATED it--got a 1984 achilles with 61 patches and LOVED it--used that for 4 yrs with a older model mariner 4 hp outboard ..was dabomb.
then i went thru caribe 9 ft rib--didnt like them either...and got a 9'4 inch avon fold up-loved it--sold it now seek same..have a 4hp johnson ob, need rollup..LOL

even walker bay 8 ft is better than portabote for my cruising needs, i found...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:08   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We used a Porta Boat 12 ft for a lot of years on our Colvin, loved it and so did the kids ! they had no problem setting it up! We now have a Hard dink also 12 ft with both oars and sailing stuff for it ! and a older Merc 15 2 stroke. it came with our new to us boat! it's on davits, and works great ! we prefer hard dinks as we have had to much trouble with leaky inflateables!! But thats us, everybody likes what they like and what works for us wont for others! Yall might try a hard dink to see if they fit your needs, they have for us both the porta boat and the fiberglass hard dink we have now