Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2021, 22:23   #16

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Re: Port Supply/West Marine Pro Discount Ranges

In addition to what's already been said, the best way to guestimate the amount of Port Supply discount you're likely to get is to understand that these discounts are geared to those in the trade who will be reselling these items. Hence the example of wire and hose clamps above -- they're likely to be resold in the course of boat repairs, whereas a pair of sunglasses, deck shoes, etc. will receive very little discount, since they're obviously for personal use.

Sometimes a sale price on these personal-use items will be better than the Port Supply price and it's wise to ask which would be the lowest price.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 00:14   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Before buying anything - yes I know you've got a hole burning in your pocket with the new boat and all You should make a list of all the cruising incidentals you need that aren't already on the boat (and there will be a lot of them) and do some price comparisons. West Marine is not known for having the best prices even with a discount, though they do run the occasional sale. They make their money by being convenient - the place you go when you don't have time to have something shipped in. Cross check the prices on your list with companies like Defender and others. Oddly enough even Walmart often has items you may be looking for at substantially lower prices than West Marine. This will be a good long run exercise for you as you'll get a good feel for where to get things in the future.
Already done of course. However, without this data point, it’s hard to make a comparison. That said, it seems that my suspicions are correct in that the type of items that I’m looking to buy there will be fairly discounted via the port supply/pro given they are West Marine branded. I’m a Defender 1st member and have gotten some great deals there that I’m sure I won’t be able to beat elsewhere. Not buying any electronics or things that have master pricing agreements but more so miscellaneous outfitting items that are left.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 06:09   #18

Remember to check WM 'outlet' tab on line for their clearance sales. Often has good deals.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 06:30   #19

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We stopped using our PS since the discounts/prices were not that good compared to buying similar items online elsewhere.
If you needed parts/items immediately, then maybe go to WM and pay their higher prices. Lately the general stock in our WM is depleted, so depending on what you are looking to purchase it still may need to be ordered.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine