Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Have you ever jumped ship?
Yes I have. 9 28.13%
No, I have not. 16 50.00%
I would never jump ship. 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00   #16

Boat: '83 Beneteau First 38
POLL - Have you ever jumped ship?

these are great stories that remind me to curb my own behavior too. but i still want to hear more about the college-aged pumper.
blufootedboobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 14:04   #17

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: POLL - Have you ever jumped ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I hope the dock master learned a lesson. He should have insisted that the old goat buy the gas immediately, with the promise that he could stay for a couple of days if he did, rather than letting him sit there with the promise to buy later on.
The dockmaster was an extremely savvy "she" but it really wasn't her decision. The people who owned the dock are loaded (I think it was old Philadelphia money.) so it wasn't really that big an issue from a financial standpoint. The profit margin on even a thousand gallons of diesel isn't worth them getting too excited about. Plus, there is no other fuel dock in the harbor so they didn't lose any business from other locals and transients, it was just an inconvenience for other users because it required more maneuvering. I only mentioned it because it was one of the many underhanded things, such as borrowing the car to go shopping for a few hours and then not coming back for 7 or 8 hours, that he did while he was in town. I suspect that the old coot did have some serious connections and that's why he initially was allowed to stay with the promise to fill up all his tanks later. But, connections or no, he quickly wore out his welcome, both with those of us who frequented the dock, and his crew.

Obviously, when dealing with a disgusting creature like this, you have to be careful to not let them take advantage of you so the "cash up front" approach is the only one that works. But most people I come in contact with are honest and I'd hate to go through life suspecting everyone of trying to scam me and always taking preventive measures to avoid that actually happening. I understand that it's only good business to get agreements in writing, but considering a case like this where nobody yet knew his character and the dock owners weren't going to lose any money, I hope they didn't "learn a lesson" and start making every transient pay up front and never taking anyone at their word.

Just how much to trust is always an interesting question and we all have a different approach that probably depends a lot on how and where we were brought up. I happen to live in a place that has the lowest crime rate in the country so my approach has undoubtedly been shaped by that fact. Someday I may have to change but I'm 57 now and it's worked for me so far. I think the world is a more pleasant place if folks first instinct is to default to trusting others at their word until they prove otherwise. Yeah, with that approach once in a great while you get burned a little, but you'd be surprised how infrequently it happens, and lots of other times you get a really good feeling by living in a world where you trust others and people trust you and expect you to keep your word, and you always do. Those who don't soon stand out and nobody will befriend or do business with them under any circumstances.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:11   #18

Boat: contessa 32

Never jumped ship per se ,but did bail on a delivery to the W.indies the night before departure from NYC one November. Owner was inexperienced and 50' sailboat had been poorly maintained ,this with the fact that that the sailboat was newly acquired and some of the crew had a "cowboy" attitude and at the same time the owner changed a number of details that we had perviously agreed were important ( I was the most experienced crew)
the day before departure.

I was very interested in making this trip and felt a close relationship with the owner
and as a friend I did not want to disappoint ,especially since 2 other knowledgeable crew had already opted out.I felt that my lot as the most experienced crew would be to rectify the many unpleasant problems that surely awaited us.I felt that we would need to be lucky to arrive without trauma.I believe in preparation and reason ,not luck.
Well as luck would have it,the boat arrived but not without the predicted trauma to the remaining crew and the owners bank account.
The luck did run out a short time thereafter for the"cowboy" as he did kill himself and one other in an even more egregious boating prank.

Lotsa lessons here, but did preserve my friendship.

................Love you all...............................mike............ ..............
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:28   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
The luck did run out a short time thereafter for the"cowboy" as he did kill himself and one other in an even more egregious boating prank.
Don't leave us with this cliffhanger~!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:38   #20

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I have been tempted to jump ship many times, always with the same skipper. Hard to deal with his B.S. But I keep coming back.
Guess that's one of the downsides of solo sailing.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I have been tempted to jump ship many times, always with the same skipper. Hard to deal with his B.S. But I keep coming back.
Guess that's one of the downsides of solo sailing.
HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll