Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 04:29   #61

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Congratulations Michael! Now, get out there and sail whenever you can. Practice singlehanding, and buy yourself good foul weather bottoms and a good hat! We're all proud of you around here! Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 06:03   #62

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Boring is good.

Congratulations on your trip Michael. Ninety-five percent of the time passages are routine, if not boring. It’s the other 5% you have to be ready for and you were, and will now be for future trips.

Regarding the cold, its a fact of life on passages in SoCal as is motor sailing. However, here's a little jewel that can make life easier and more comfortable:

Install one of these Heater Craft Auxiliary Cabin Heater 's in the forward portion of the main cabin, below one of the setee berths. You won't regret it. By adding a simple on-off valve to the feed line, you can block the flow of water to the unit when you don't need additional heat in the cabin. We have one that's work's like a charm.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 06:16   #63

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Well, are you still alive?

Please let us know when you complete this voyage.
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 06:21   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Good job, and thanks for the post and pictures.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 08:16   #65

Boat: Sceptre 41
Good job Michael:

Well written post. I felt like I was right in the middle of your trip. Not wanting to get out of the bunk b/c it is cold up there -- Been there. Nice job on the boat. Preparing the boat is one of those decisions people make - often by just ignoring it, Do I count on luck to carry me thru or should I have the boat prepared. I agree with your decision to have the boat prepared.

Now enjoy SD. Get out and sail as much as you can. Really nice conditions. Kona Kai is very nice as well. BTW I believe that staying at the Marina entitles you to a shuttle that the resort runs. We used it to go to resturaunts but it could just as easily be used to go to the chandeleries.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:10   #66

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Nonsense, MV! A lot happened!

A man prepared himself and his vessel assiduously so that both would have the best chance for a successful voyage. That the voyage proved uneventful is beside the point, I think.

By working in a seaman-like manner, you have placed yourself in the tiny minority of humans who venture into an alien environment prepared to cope with the worst that you can imagine - even if, in the event, none of it comes to pass. Would that the majority prepared half so diligently.

Congratulations on a job well-done, Captain!

TaoJones

PS: Rather than being Much Ado About Nothing, MV, because you prepared so well for the voyage and it came off without a hitch, you do not have to bemoan Love's Labour's Lost.
I could not have said it better.........It's nice to see a sailor that has due respect for the sea. Just be sure that the respect that you have developed increases with each passage and NEVER diminishes. All too often, a lack of due respect is why some few end in catastrophe.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote