Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 01:18   #1

Plastimo Kobra II Anchor

After hearing a lot of good things about.this anchor, I just bought one.

This looks nothing like my old CQR copy. The build quality is extremely poor and there are numerous flaws in it.

What I'm trying to figure out is, is this representative of these anchors or have I bought a factory reject?

-One of the arms to the retaining pin bent
-Low quality welding
-Extremely rough cut finish
-Badly cut slot
-Clearly visibly joins to the tip

Also, the shank is held on by a screw, so literally hanging by a thread. Now I get that's part of the design but do any forum members here own one of these?

If so - is yours of similar build quality? Does it look like an extreme example of cost cutting?

I don't know if it's worth replacing it, or if they all look the same, or this is just how modern anchors look these days.

Am I just being a perfectionist, and should I just use it and stop fussing over details?

Jamontoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Plastimo Kobra II Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamontoast View Post
After hearing a lot of good things about.this anchor, I just bought one.

This looks nothing like my old CQR copy. The build quality is extremely poor and there are numerous flaws in it.

What I'm trying to figure out is, is this representative of these anchors or have I bought a factory reject?

-One of the arms to the retaining pin bent
-Low quality welding
-Extremely rough cut finish
-Badly cut slot
-Clearly visibly joins to the tip

Also, the shank is held on by a screw, so literally hanging by a thread. Now I get that's part of the design but do any forum members here own one of these?

If so - is yours of similar build quality? Does it look like an extreme example of cost cutting?

I don't know if it's worth replacing it, or if they all look the same, or this is just how modern anchors look these days.

Am I just being a perfectionist, and should I just use it and stop fussing over details?

what you talking. this anchor is made for holding the boat on position skipper decision and do job excelent.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jam'.

You might be interested in this previous CF discussion:
“Kobra 2 Anchor - any comments?”https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-146901.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:46   #4

Thanks for the replies. It seems the images didn't upload from my first post. I appreciate it's a well respected anchor but I think the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The bent arm did straighten when I tightened the bolt. Here's the pics.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:52   #5

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I know nothing of this anchor but being a bit of an anchor nerd I was intrigued and checked it out.

Lots of comments online praising how much cheaper it is than Rocna and other new generation anchors immediately got my suspicions up as you truly "get what you pay for."

Lots of Kobra owners praising their anchor, but that's normal as we all look for evidence that we made a good choice.

It looks a heck of a lot like a Delta copy. Delta is one of the worst anchors available, and I can't imagine why anyone would buy a copy of it.

I do love the Rocna and have had the roll bar and Vulcan versions on different boats. Awesome anchors, but not perfect, and my search for the "perfect" anchor for my needs and requirements led me to the Sarca Excel, which I initially dismissed as a Delta copy, as with the Kobra, they look the same or very similar.

Turns out the Excel has very little in common with the Delta, here's a thread comparing the two.

I ended up getting the Excel and love it. It truly is the perfect anchor for me.

Is the Kobra more like the Excel or more like the Delta? I have no idea and haven't seen any testing or comparisons. There is so much credible testing nowadays that we don't need to "guess" which anchor performs better than another. All available credible tests that I've seen rank the Spade and Excel at the top, with the only criticism of the Rocna to be risking resetting failure due to possible fouling as most scoops are prone. I ended up selling my Vulcan in favor of an Excel and am glad I did.

With a bit of research I found a Kobra 25kg for $429. vs. $692. for similar sized Excel, 40% less, but a Rocna 33 is $400.00, essentially the same cost, so you don't necessarily have to pay more, which is cool.

I'd be interested in your real world experience with your Kobra, but first I would attempt to exchange it as you don't need to accept a product that appears to be damaged/defective. Any credible dealer or manufacturer would exchange or refund in this case, the hassle is in shipping a heavy object that is awkwardly shaped!

PS- just saw your photos and even if it works it does not look like a well constructed anchor! As a cruiser who lives on the hook and likes to sleep peacefully at night, I wouldn't want to rely on this anchor in a gale.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. It seems the images didn't upload from my first post. I appreciate it's a well respected anchor but I think the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The bent arm did straighten when I tightened the bolt. Here's the pics.
IMG]
mi is not like this, this is something wrong
Old 07-06-2021, 10:40   #7

did you buy this sight unseen, like from online or in person?
I wouldnt trust that to hold my dinghy, it looks like its being held together with jb weld.
I would love to see anchor guru Panope test this one.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:45   #8

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

My experience with the Kobra II is very good. From your photos yours look like a manufacturing second. I'd try to return it for a new one.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:52   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We have a Kobra 2 and are very happy with it.
Before I had a Kobra on another boat and was equally happy with it.

The German yachting magazine "Die Yacht" did an anchor test few years ago and the Kobra came out first regarding its overall performance in relation to price.

There may be better anchors around now, but they may be much more expensive too.

Regarding the surface finish, honestly I'm not concerned on that at all, after all it's an anchor and nothing for a concours d'élégance.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:18   #10

Boat: Beneteau

I have one as my second anchor and yes the finish is rough but it is an anchor. Not willing to pay for the polished look on my anchors as I don't aspire to have the prettiest one at the marina.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:18   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We have had our Kobra 2 for 8 years and it performs fine, 16 kg on 38ft cat, so probably a bit light but it holds. The construction quality is good, the OPs looks poor and the welds suspect. O think you have one that slipped through the quality net and should return it as not of merchantable quality and get a replacement. The comment about the bolt holding it together is just silly, the shackle holding the rode will be far smaller.
The Kobra, Delta and Excel look very similar, but there are subtle differences in geometry which rxplain differences in performance. The Excel and Kobra are very similar in side elevation. I would have another in a heartbeat but not the OPs
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 21:36   #12

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:

May be one of those cases of manufacturing being farmed out to China? Certainly looks roughly made!
I would send it back and go for another brand such as Spade.
Old 07-06-2021, 23:19   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

It might well be that they changed suppliers.
Enough returns and they may change again.

My Kobra 2 from AWN in Germany looks much better, but than again I am not concerned about anchor looks anyway.

Regarding geometry I'd say the Kobra is in general a reliable modern anchor.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
It might well be that they changed suppliers.
Enough returns and they may change again.

My Kobra 2 from AWN in Germany looks much better, but than again I am not concerned about anchor looks anyway.

Regarding geometry I'd say the Kobra is in general a reliable modern anchor.
my is from svb.de and all kobra 2 anchor is made in china.
Kobra 2 anchor is best anchor for bottom in Croatia grass & sand/mud
grass small and medium Posidonia (heavy green 50-100 year old Posidonia, not hold any Anchor )
Old 08-06-2021, 08:11   #15

Totally agree with this. I've emailed the supplier to arrange courier collection. Something about this anchor seems off.

I did look at the sarca excel, but there's no suppliers local to me so its hard/expensive to come by.

Tags
anchor, kobra, plastimo