Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 10:03   #1

Planing to go to Bahamas from Florida in May

I am planning to cross to Grand Bahamas in May from Mia or Fort Lauderdale. What is the best place to leave from ? How should I do it and what should I be looking for (Time of departure, weather etc..)

what emergency devices should I have on board?

thanks
MartinBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:27   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Planing to go to Bahamas from Florida in May

The further south you leave from the better. As for emergency equipment it depends on the boat but as much as your budget will allow. More is better than less.
Old 29-03-2014, 12:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Planing to go to Bahamas from Florida in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBoyer View Post
I am planning to cross to Grand Bahamas in May from Mia or Fort Lauderdale. What is the best place to leave from ? How should I do it and what should I be looking for (Time of departure, weather etc..)

what emergency devices should I have on board?

thanks
It depends on your boat speed, wind direction, where on Grand Bahama you are heading, etc. Regardless of whether you are heading to Port Lucaya or WE, Miami is probably a bit far south. Hopefully in May, you won't have to wait long for a weather window, which can be a problem with staging in Fort Lauderdale - anchoring is very limited.

On one cruise in early June, I departed Fort Lauderdale in a 26-foot sailboat at first light and arrived at West End with plenty of light left. Some prefer a night sail to ensure a full day of light upon arrival. Personally, I prefer to sleep at night and sail during the day when possible. From Lake Worth/Palm Beach, I've sometimes started pre-dawn.

Opinions on safety gear will vary greatly. Personally, I feel given the water temps and boat traffic I'm happy with my inflatable as a life raft and feel between a couple VHFs, cell phone and GPS, I'll be able to contact someone if necessary. When alone, or leaving the cockpit, I'm always clipped in. All the safety gear in the world doesn't matter if you are in the drink watching your boat sail off with all your gear on board....

I'll add however that 406 Epirbs have become much more affordable in recent years.

(Obviously at a minimum you should have all the required gear)

That's my personal feeling for myself on my boat, but not knowing you or your boat, I can't recommend what safety gear is appropriate for you.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, florida