Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 10:33   #1

PFD Recommendations

Looking to buy a new offshore capable PFD.

Any recommendations?

Do you think Spinlock is worth the premium price?

Thanks!
comesatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:14   #2

Re: PFD Recommendations

Yes, properly adjusted for fit
very comfortable to wear for long
periods of time
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by comesatime View Post
Looking to buy a new offshore capable PFD.

Any recommendations?

Do you think Spinlock is worth the premium price?

Thanks!
This brand (CREWSAVER) and model (Crewfit 40) has some good features to consider:
Automatic inflation.

Crewsaver Crewfit 40 Pro USCG - Automatic with Harness
40 pounds of inflation (more buoyancy is better, this has more than cheapest and some more expensive models from competit)
Soft harness loop in front, for attaching a safety tether when needed.
Numerous optional accessories designed for safety, such as straps, spray hoods, etc.
Reputable brand.
Lightweight, small diameter form factor for comfort. Not bulky.
Fabric used is not abrasive, helps comfort.
Very nice construction, quality materials, easy open zipper closure.
Clear window to view the gas device status. This is important.

Street price = $169 at Defender when on sale. May be $179 off sale.

Options: Hood $16 Crotch Strap $12

Crewfit 40 Pro USCG | Crewsaver

They have a more expensive (+$50) model called "Ergofit" and some less expensive models too (about $90)
-----------

CREWSAVER 40 with Harness

Crewsaver Crewfit 40 Pro USCG - Automatic with Harness
40 pounds buoyancy
Options: Hood $16 Crotch Strap $12
$179 at Defender
2.8 pounds shipping weight

Prices change due to seasonal sales.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I consider PFD crotch straps to be essential.
There have been numerous reports of sailors who have slipped out of their inflatable (or foam) PFDs, especially if they are in cold water and begin to suffer from loss of consciousness or use of their hands.

If you are like many who own an inflatable PFD that does NOT have leg or crotch straps, they can be added easily, in just a few minutes with no tools (like putting a belt on trousers) and inexpensively.

Here is what I bought to add to my inflatable PFD. They cost less than $12 and took about 3 minutes to install. This strap can be added to most inflatable PFDs that have a webbing harness that surrounds the chest. The photo below does not show how they are attached to a PFD. You simply slide the loops over the webbing harness on your PFD, then connect the quick clips and adjust the length for good fit. Very simple.

What about comfort?
I know that some may not want to wear a crotch strap because they think if may be uncomfortable. My experience with these is that once put on, they are soon forgotten, like wearing socks or a belt on your pants. In short, they are not uncomfortable, they are adjustable, and very light in weight, so hardly noticed if at all.

Crewsaver Add-On Crotch Straps
$11.99
Fits most inflatable PFDs!
The Crewsaver Inflatable Life Jacket / PFD Crotch Strap connects to any inflatable lifejacket or buoyancy aid's attachment points for a more secure fit
Designed to hold you in a safer position in the water
Retro fits most inflatable lifejackets or buoyancy aids
Detailed instructions included to ensure correct fitting
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...131&id=3142281
Old 09-05-2018, 11:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What do I suggest for a safety tether?

After evaluating several aspects, considering expert opinions, and after using a similar (but different brand) safety tether for thousands of miles of ocean sailing (I always wear a tether and PFD when sailing offshore), and also considering costs, I purchased the following for my own use. I think offers the best combination of design, price, materials, and features. It is from a well established brand that is focused on sailing hardware.

Please note the use of the quick release snap shackle (the small shackle) that is used to attach this tether to the sailor's safety harness (PFD). That is designed for "one hand release" in an emergency (see above examples when a sailor may want to instantly cut loose from a tether).

Some brands of tethers require the use of a separate item (a knife or attached or optional cutter), which I think could be a big problem during a stressful emergency when the adrenaline is pumping and one is holding one's breath underwater. I prefer the simplicity and reliability of this design, as I don't want to have to find and use another device (knife or cutter) when needed. With this quick release snap shackle, you simply move your hand from the tether to the shackle, feel for the small pull tab/ribbon, and pull it to open instantly.

Please note the particular design of the carabiner that features a "one hand operation" "double action" locking carabiner. That "double action" locking mechanism is very important. Why? Because some older designs of carabiners (which I have had too) can become opened by simple twisting of the carabiner when it is attached to a jackline. I have experienced that unexpected "opening" of a carabiner, but luckily not when my life was depending on it. I was shocked to see how easy it occurred, and that has made me a proponent of nothing less than a safety carabiner that will prevent that accidental opening.

I purchased this product for myself. I have very carefully examined it, and am very pleased by the quality. When worn, the elasticized tethers shorten automatically, and that is easier to manage than the older (non elasticized) type.

I also suggest this particular model that has a dual tether (6' and 3') as that allows one the flexibility and redundancy that a single long tether does not. This also allows one to clip on with one tether and remain secure, while moving to another jackline or hard point, something a single tether does not allow. For example, you may use the 6' tether while moving on deck or sitting in the cockpit, then use the 3' tether when at a point where you need to operate gear on the foredeck, mast, or helm. That is how I use a dual tether.

Kong Dual Safety Tether with Snap Hook and Dual Safety Hooks. ($79)
Kong Double Line ORC Tether

From the manufacturer:
"Kong Elastic Tethers connect you and your harness to a jackline or a secure anchor point to prevent man-overboard situations. These ORC approved tethers are used extensively in offshore racing and cruising and by sailors the world over.

Features:
double action Kong Tango carabiner that only opens when squeezed between one hand. Double action completely eliminates the possibility of accidental opening
Over-stress indicators are sewn into the harness end, which meets ISAF Special Regulations for Offshore Sailing"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:23   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Steady
Nice evaluation of the teather. My experience with dual tethers and elastic teathers is not great (Wichard). In the tropics the elastic just doesn't last. I find the extra weight of the second teather clip adds to discomfort and the bulk gets in the way.
Old 16-05-2018, 12:43   #7

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Spinlock for me. Nothing else.
Tethers, Spinlocks will not resist to side forces. Careful were and how you install jack lines.
I do like the Kong.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, pfd