Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 05:02   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
Re: Personal safety device

Great discussion, couple of good points. This is something like I’m talking about. Anyone have any actual experience testing such type device? Does anyone have a brand/model they like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09DD721D-3B7C-43B2-B4C2-F2AF9F07A107.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	206613  
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:30   #17

It's a typical mace canister. They are reasonably effective.

Again, however, there are places where it will be illegal for you to have that in your possession. You need to make yourself aware of the laws in each different jurisdiction that you visit.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 16:07   #18

Less lethal personal safety devices such as tasers, batons, pepper spray, etc., are not effective against a determined attacker. Verbal de-escalation against a determined boarder is a fairy tale. The best personal safety device is the most lethal one at hand, maybe a kitchen knife, "flagpole", or fire extinguisher (blunt force tool). My opinions weren't formed in my mother's basement nor am I typing from there now.
flyairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 21:07   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyairam View Post
Less lethal personal safety devices such as tasers, batons, pepper spray, etc., are not effective against a determined attacker. Verbal de-escalation against a determined boarder is a fairy tale. The best personal safety device is the most lethal one at hand, maybe a kitchen knife, "flagpole", or fire extinguisher (blunt force tool). My opinions weren't formed in my mother's basement nor am I typing from there now.
Hmmm, the fact that you make this claim leaves one doubtful, but regardless...

Whom do you think is boarding your vessel, and for what purpose? Except in extremely exceptional circumstances, they are they there to rob you. They aren't there to do you harm, but may do so if they feel they must.

Reaching for your "lethal device" increases the likelihood of provoking the same kind of response. And more than likely they already have the jump on you, and are probably better prepared and armed.

The best personal safety device is your head -- don't put yourself in a dangerous situation in the first place. And take the fairly simple steps to deter opportunistic theft, which is by far the most common type of crime cruiser experience.

If, in the end, you find yourself fighting for your life, then by all means use legal force. But killing a thief is rarely seen as a justified action in any jurisdiction. And this is especially so when the killer is a foreigner.
Old 15-01-2020, 21:24   #20

Mike,
No question, you know more about sailing than I. That's why I joined the forum!
There is a difference between a robber and a thief, it appears you confused the two. One would require a different response than the other.
I look forward to learning more from you and others on this forum.
Randy
flyairam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, safety