Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2020, 16:41   #1

PEI to Toronto Ontario

Hello has anybody done a trip from Souris PEI to Toronto Ontario Canada and how long did it take , what stop overs were used ? I know it’s all weather permitting and tides ! Looking for 2021 trip this year looks shot me thinks ! Any good ideas will be appreciated . Oh it will be by sailboat , motor speed 5 knots , draft 5 ft!
Booysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 18:08   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: PEI to Toronto Ontario

I went the other way, from Lake Ontario to Newfoundland. Easier than your upriver route, but similar challenges. In general you'll be fighting the prevailing winds, but other than that it's a great journey.

Get current charts and relevant Sailing Directions. We also used a couple of guides (Cruising Guide St. Lawrence River and Quebec Waterways). Best one was a French guide... the name escapes me but I can try and find it.

Lower stretch of the St. Lawrence is big and beautiful. Tides and currents are significant. I followed the north shore from Tadoussac so can't offer much info. We anchored out all the way, but this is challenging. There are more marinas on the south shore than the north.

From Tadoussac up beyond Quebec City the tides and tidal currents will dominate your travel planning. You'll basically be riding the flood tide up, and will stop once it turns. Those were fast days as we rode the ebb tides down.

You'll encounter your first locks going up around Montreal. I think you need three crew to go upstream, but you can confirm this on the Seaway site. This Covid year they've been a lot more restrictive about when recreational boaters can go through, so check.

Beyond Montreal you'll start to feel the downstream current of the St. Lawrence. It runs from 1 to 3 knots, depending on time and location. You'll be fighting it all the way to Lake Ontario.

L. Ontario is a fun run. You've got options from the 1000 Islands. You can head up the lake, or cut through the Bay of Quinte. Lots of anchorages and plenty of marinas.

There's a number of folks who have done this route, both up and downstream. Hopefully others will chime in. Meantime, if you have any specific questions, or want to narrow things down a bit, just ask.
Old 01-09-2022, 14:52   #3

I came here for the same question. I was surprised by only one response. Can anyone else chime in? Maybe the OP. I would like to sail also from pei to Kingston and worried about the tides and currents. Will be in a sailboat...so
Heli_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 15:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booysen View Post
Hello has anybody done a trip from Souris PEI to Toronto Ontario Canada and how long did it take , what stop overs were used ? I know it’s all weather permitting and tides ! Looking for 2021 trip this year looks shot me thinks ! Any good ideas will be appreciated . Oh it will be by sailboat , motor speed 5 knots , draft 5 ft!
You will not make it upstream to Montreal against the tide and current in a 5knot boat.
You will only be able to progress on a rising tide. Take a look at the tide tables and you'll see what Mike referred to.

After Montreal it's still against current but without tide. It will be a long slow slog to Lake Ontario but you can make it.

Make sure your engine is 100%
Old 01-09-2022, 15:11   #5

Thanks boatpoker. I'll check them out soon. Time is not a huge factor, but wanting to make sure it is doable.
Old 02-09-2022, 16:39   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You will not make it upstream to Montreal against the tide and current in a 5knot boat.
You will only be able to progress on a rising tide. Take a look at the tide tables and you'll see what Mike referred to.

After Montreal it's still against current but without tide. It will be a long slow slog to Lake Ontario but you can make it.

Make sure your engine is 100%
I came upriver quite a few years ago on a Niagara 35. You can make it with a five knot boat although we had a six knotter. We got passed by a Tanzer 22 at one point going upbound. Certainly use the tides, there is a guide book available now. We had one very long day (6 am to midnight where we did 103 nm. Top speed was 10.3 knots upstream. There were many hours spent around 2.3 knots. You just need to be patient.
Old 02-09-2022, 16:41   #7

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

The previous owner of my boat did it from Quebec City to Montreal.
He said it would have been faster to walk.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 16:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I came upriver quite a few years ago on a Niagara 35. You can make it with a five knot boat although we had a six knotter. We got passed by a Tanzer 22 at one point going upbound. Certainly use the tides, there is a guide book available now. We had one very long day (6 am to midnight where we did 103 nm. Top speed was 10.3 knots upstream. There were many hours spent around 2.3 knots. You just need to be patient.
This is very interesting. Great info. Thanks so much.
Old 02-09-2022, 16:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
☺️. Too funny
Old 03-09-2022, 05:39   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Depends how fast you can walk. The 2.3 knots we frequently were doing is a typical walking speed. I did say something about patience. Thee OP asked if it can be done, not whether it can be done quickly.
Old 23-10-2022, 11:38   #11

Its painfully slow going upstream and waiting for the tides etc from PEI to Kingston. I would not recommend it. But thats just me.
RogRog10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ontario