Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
PDX to SEA - Trucking vs. Delivery

I'm considering the purchase of a Catalina 38 in the Portland (OR) area and am trying to weigh out the pro's and con's of having it trucked vs. delivered to either the Olympia or Seattle area.

1.) Delivery would mean sailing 10+ hours on the Columbia river to the Pacific Ocean, a Columbia river bar crossing, sailing up the coast of Washington, into the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and then into the Puget Sound. (Total distance: about 350nm). I would estimate the cost of delivery to be under $2k.

2.) Trucking it would mean de-rigging, trucking, then having the mast restepped and rigging redone. I am estimating the cost for trucking to be about $4k. (Total distance: about 114 miles).

I'm comfortable sailing in the sound, but believe I lack the experience to take on the Columbia bar and the coast of Washington, so this would mean hiring a delivery captain and crew to go with me. Are there any thoughts on this?

Steve
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:32   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: PDX to SEA - Trucking vs. Delivery

Perhaps the present owner would deliver it to SEA for you, for an increase in the price you pay, and the opportunity to have a final sail with his or her boat....

Realistically, you should expect some damage with either shipping or delivery.

Many delivery skippers do not want to have the owners aboard.

More pondering in order, I guess...

Ann
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35   #3

Boat: Hunter 31

That's a good idea. It also test the seller to see how sea-worthy/condition the boat is in! I'd first ask the owner how he feels about the boat making the trip (which im sure they will say its fine) then asking them to back it up with doing the trip.
jared1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:39   #4

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Interesting idea...
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If you plan on taking the slow route north, I would definitely have experienced hands aboard, knowledgeable about crossing the Columbia Bar and the attendant hazards shoreside north of there. While Grey's Harbor is picturesque, don't plan on it as an escape hatch in bad weather, particularly at night unless you don't have someone aboard with local knowledge of the harbor and its' approaches.
Give Flattery a wide berth as well as sea conditions can be problematic anytime of year.
An experienced commercial fisherman would make an excellent crew/skipper for the passage provided he has spent time fishing that area.
I'm surprised at the cost you were quoted for trucking your boat north. If you help out with the derigging and prep work, to get her over land from Portland to Olympia, WA, it shouldn't cost that much I wouldn't think and there are easy out/easy in yards in both locations. Mileage isn't all that great either.
If I were still in the business, I'd do the trip in a heartbeat but unfortunately considerable past that now, healthwise... good luck, Steve... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery