Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:56   #1

Palatka as Home Base

We've built our family home about 30 min from Palatka Fl. and when we finally make the leap and buy our cruiser, we will need a place to keep her when we are not sailing and Palatka is the closest place we can think of. I am not sure if there are any places to haul out in Palatka, but it would seem if we were taking a few weeks off or getting ready for a big storm that Palatka would be a good place to anchor and leave the boat for a bit. I travel the bridge a few times a week and I don't see many new boats, most have been anchored out for the 8 years we have been here. Is Palatka just too far from inlet to be a good home base? Do any of you all ever make it down that far? Is it practical to run a big 40+ foot cat that for up river? St. Augustine is only about an hour from the house so maybe it would make a better home base but Palatka would be much more convenient.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:22   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Palatka as Home Base

Tom,
Don't know anything about Palatka, but the fixed bridge just south of Green Cove Springs may be the reason you don't see very many cruising sailboats in that area. The bridge has a vertical clearance of 45', which isn't a lot for a 40+ ft catamaran.
Green Cove Springs is an economical place to base a boat when fitting out. There are many marinas north and south of St. Augustine, but they are on the ICW so tend to be a bit pricey.

Good luck,

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Tom, Palatka is a beautiful part of the river, but many of us can't cruise south of the 45' MHW fixed bridge at Green Cove Springs. I doubt if you'd be pleased with a 40+ catamaran that has a vertical clearance that would allow you to be in Palatka. There are some plans to replace this bridge, but I wouldn't gamble on it. There have been plans to replace the Shands Bridge since the early 1970's when they were also planning the Cross Florida Barge Canal. I think your closest choices would be at Green Cove Springs just north of the Shands Bridge or St. Augustine.

Welcome to the community! Keep us posted of your adventures.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:33   #4

Hadn't thought of Green Cove, and I didn't know the bridge was that low. Green Cove is only about 10 minutes farther for us than Palatka so that's a good spot as far as I am concerned. What's the docking situation like in Green Cove? Any good places to haul a large cat?

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Tom, Green Cove Springs can haul your boat and they have dockage and moorings. There are a couple of marinas there. I would suggest a call to them for details and pricing. We found their haul out fees to be very reasonable. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote