Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 17:33   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Pacific Ocean Garbage Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
It is twice the size of Texas! It moves north and south as the High pressure area does it's thing
According to my Navionics chart it's not a Texas sized floating garbage dump in the Mid Pacific - it is Texas .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 19:21   #47

[QUOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1160261]According to my Navionics chart it's not a Texas sized floating garbage dump in the Mid Pacific - it is Texas .

I learned to sail in Texas. I have been telling folks that Galveston Bay is just the Gulf of Mexico. I was wrong.

That must the uncharted atoll that some pilot spotted.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 20:01   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

While it's fun to point and laugh at the stupid things people say about the garbage patch, and the hare-brained schemes we've seen to "help", let's not forget that there is indeed way too much garbage floating (and sinking) out there. It would be easier to "do something" if it *did* form a trash island. I'm afraid that it's rather spread out, and really only significantly collects on beaches, harbors, etc.

The way to fix this is to stop it at the source, or better yet, to not create so much of it in the first place. People need to be honest about this and not use scare tactics. In the long run, spreading falsehoods and hyperbole about the situation will be counterproductive.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 20:23   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The "garbage patch" is supposed to lie between 135 and 155ºW - Midway is at 177ºW (hence the name). Don't let facts get the way of a good rant
MIDWAY : trailer : a film by Chris Jordan on Vimeo

Quote:
The MIDWAY film project is a powerful visual journey into the heart of an astonishingly symbolic environmental tragedy. On one of the remotest islands on our planet, tens of thousands of baby albatrosses lie dead on the ground, their bodies filled with plastic from the Pacific Garbage Patch. Returning to the island over several years, our team is witnessing the cycles of life and death of these birds as a multi-layered metaphor for our times. With photographer Chris Jordan as our guide, we walk through the fire of horror and grief, facing the immensity of this tragedy—and our own complicity—head on. And in this process, we find an unexpected route to a transformational experience of beauty, acceptance, and understanding.
You where saying....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 20:47   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

55 tons per year of Ghost Net wash up on this one island.

MIDWAY - Ghost Net on Vimeo
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:00   #51

Saylur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:08   #52

Some of the "Nay" sayers remind me of a captain I met once. He was convinced, even quoted so called "Scientific Proof", that smoking was not bad for you and that it was just a hoax.
More proof that people will believe whatever they want to believe no matter how much evidence to the contrary there is.
It would be quite comical if that lack of consciousness didn't end up affecting us all.
Saylur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:20   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Saylur.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:38   #54

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
More proof that people will believe whatever they want to believe no matter how much evidence to the contrary there is.
Saylur, you have expressed a fundamental truth that inded does affect us all.

Now, to the garbage...how much of it comes from ships, how much from boats, and how much from the land? I suspect the lone cruiser hoiking his daily sardine cans overboard makes less rubbish than a cruise ship, which in turn makes a lot less than a cityfull of drones tossing their junk out of the car window into the creeks. I won't think of the barges of junk hauled one-way over the horizon under contracts paid by homeowner's rates. What I will think of is the culture of consumerism that makes all that crap in the first place, but then we'll be plumbing the depths of faith and practise, and there be monsters there. Maybe more important monsters, because hydra always grows another head...
Old 17-02-2013, 05:51   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pacific Ocean Garbage Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
MIDWAY : trailer : a film by Chris Jordan on VimeoThe MIDWAY film project is a powerful visual journey into the heart of an astonishingly symbolic environmental tragedy. On one of the remotest islands on our planet, tens of thousands of baby albatrosses lie dead on the ground, their bodies filled with plastic from the Pacific Garbage Patch. Returning to the island over several years, our team is witnessing the cycles of life and death of these birds as a multi-layered metaphor for our times. With photographer Chris Jordan as our guide, we walk through the fire of horror and grief, facing the immensity of this tragedy—and our own complicity—head on. And in this process, we find an unexpected route to a transformational experience of beauty, acceptance, and understanding.
You where saying....
Hmmmm... learn something new every day... Albatross fly N of the Equator to nest and raise their young.... and here's me for 60years been convinced they are native to the Southern Ocean...
Either there's been a mega shift of nature into a new migratory route for these birds... OR...
There's been a Megaload of unresearched ******** being put out for the ignorant and braindead who love Bandwaggons....
The crap out there sucks... big time... but more crap is not the answer

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:51   #56

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Uhh - Chris Jordan is an artist known for making works with garbage as a commentary on consumerism. You can accept his "expert" opinion or you can accept the verifiable fact that Midway Atoll is located 1000 odd miles West of the so-called Pacific Garbage Patch. We are expected to believe that the gyre creates a 'vortex' that collects and traps garbage between Hawaii and N America, which may be true - so it is unlikely that garbage then travels out of that garbage patch and 1000 miles against the prevailing current to arrive at Midway. There's garbage in all the oceans, and it washes up on shorelines around the world. It's a tragedy that we should all be concerned about, but it doesn't help the cause to spread mistruth and hyperbole.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:13   #57

Some of you need to read this in regards to the "Pacific Garbage Patch" They seem to include the whole Pacific Gyre. Which makes sense to me.Read the whole thing not just the first paragraph. Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
somedayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:58   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, somedayy.

Thanks for that.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 14:26   #59

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayy View Post
Some of you need to read this in regards to the "Pacific Garbage Patch" They seem to include the whole Pacific Gyre. Which makes sense to me.Read the whole thing not just the first paragraph. Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let me guess - long-time lurker, first-time poster?

somedayy, saylur or whoever you really are, the gyre creates the garbage patches; the whole of the gyre is not the garbage patch, though surely it contains plenty of garbage. Perhaps a link with more scientific cred than Wikipedia: Ocean Trash Plaguing Our Sea | Ocean Portal | Smithsonian
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:24   #60

Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28

| VICE United States

Some guys looking for it... Watch and see if they find it...
Its in 3 parts.

CS