Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 06:17   #16

Re: Outfitting a 22 foot trailer sailor

I forgot to say make sure you have a good anchor and rode. Rocna 10 or Manson.
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 06:20   #17

Oh and origo stove. It's alcohol and works out great. You can get a one or two Bruner that sits on top of the galley. No way for oven on a boat that size.
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 06:25   #18

Boat: Newport 28

If your outboard is in fine shape, there shouldn't be any reason to carry both. Carry a spare set of plugs, and a small tool kit, and you should be fine. The extra weight and space taken up will be a luxury that will be nice to have on the small boat.

Your 40 watt panel should be plenty for what you've listed for charging and whatnot. You also could do a dry run of it come spring time, hook it to a battery, run some stuff hooked up with a temporary rig and see how you manage, that would let you know if you're going to need a second or larger one. I managed quite a bit off a 100 watt panel - VHF, 7" chart plotter, lights, phone and laptop charger, and an LED TV, and never had an issue with it. That thing would put in plenty over the course of the day to recover anything that went out.

Tiller pilot could be invaluable, but it's been a long time since I've been up there, so I can't speak as to how many longer runs you'll have to benefit, but even if not for that trip, it would be great to have moving forward anyway so if it's an option, definitely go for it.

Every other suggestion has been great too. I just say don't forget a small tool kit, some books or something to pass the time, and sunscreen.
Old 29-12-2016, 06:39   #19

I had my 22' Catalina in NC and sailed it all over the Pamlico, Lookout, Ocracoke, Beaufort and the different lakes there. Spent many a night in some pretty significant thunderstorms on the hook at Cape Lookout scared to death with my then 4 and 8 year old kids! Good times! They still talk about it 15 years later.

As far as outfitting the boat. I had a cheap fishfinder/depth sounder but it was a swing keel so that made an even better depth gauge. Go till you bump something. Crank the keel up just a little and go a different direction! Had a port-a-potty, small handheld VHF and a handheld Garmin 76 GPS. But really the VHF was to get weather and the almost all the navigation was line-of-sight. The Tohatsu engine had a charging circuit and would run forever on 3 gallons so that worked great to charge the small automotive battery.

Just keep it simple. That's what makes that size boat fun!!
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 06:45   #20

Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ps. To the OP, I ran our VHF antenna off the stern of the boat. It was pretty satisfactory. I would not like to be stepping a mast with the added complication and weight of an antenna and cable unless I really expected to need the range. Check out the repeater locations where you intend to sail, you may find the range from deck level is fine.

I'm still up in the air about this one. While a handheld VHF will suit most of my needs and did so this summer. I felt like having a dedicated vhf install in the boat. Some light coax maybe even run up the mast to the 1st spreader for a quick install might not be too bad. I have the mast down for the winter and plan on running a new halyard line so why not run a small coax up as well.

solid idea on the repeater stuff. Ill scour some sites to see whats in the area as I do operate amateur radio as well so ill have marine/ham bands covered.
Dorsilfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrewsburyduo View Post
Oh and origo stove. It's alcohol and works out great. You can get a one or two Bruner that sits on top of the galley. No way for oven on a boat that size.
I was figuring on using my backpack camping stove and a few fuel cells. I figured for this trip id probably stick to mostly freeze dried meals and just boil some water and re hydrate the food.
Dorsilfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 02:45   #23

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsilfin View Post
I was figuring on using my backpack camping stove and a few fuel cells. I figured for this trip id probably stick to mostly freeze dried meals and just boil some water and re hydrate the food.

Eeerg! That's the sort of food that drove me from bushwalking to sailing. Seriously, your boat can carry much nicer food than that. Don't punish yourself. :^)

Don't know what you mean by "fuel cells" but if you are talking about those evil little spray can style gas bottles there are much less painful ways to remove yourself from the land of the living. Those things on a boat are a disaster waiting to happen. Think human cannon ball. Metho or kerosene stoves are a bit of a pain to get going but they don't fill your bilge with explosive gasses if they leak. I had a metho stove on the Austral and it was great. (Aside from the odd case of missing eyebrows and absolutely no hair on the back of my hands.)

Regarding the VHF, I did not realise that you had a hand held. That's great, in your situation I'd see how it worked out before getting too complicated. I know that's a little bit of a "cross your fingers" scenario but the whole joy of trailer boats is keeping things simple, and a hand held VHF ticks that box for me.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-12-2016, 02:52   #24

One more thing... I just don't get the whole depth sounder thing here. The greatest joy of a trailer boat, I thought, was that you kept sailing till the keel dragged then you wound it up and changed course for deeper water. I used to refer to our keel as the "hand brake". We'd sail over to shallow water, lower the keel to hold the boat steady, and break out the picnic.

Am I missing something? Some of the guys suggesting a depth sounder actually know how to sail... weird.

Old 30-12-2016, 09:10   #25

Having your swing keel stuck in mud and the current and wind pushing it the wrong way doesn't sound great for it. Could knock it around. And isn't great for the bushings in the pin.

Depth isn't necessary on and swing keel, but nice to have!
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 11:32   #26

True, wouldn't do it if there was any kind of wave movement.

Tags
sail