Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 19:14   #1

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Outbid on eBay

Well, I finally went onto eBay and found this intersting little snatch block that looked like a garage sale item. I figured it would sell for 10-20 bucks at a garage sale. Good grief - the thing sold for over 40 bucks. I swear - I could get out bid on a 2x4. The thing was an antique and probably couldn't be put into practical use for anything.

Bumb struck newbie...
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 19:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I bought a Laser from a local guy on Ebay....one of the better things I have purchased.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 20:17   #3

I got a brand new honda generator (the super quiet 1000w kind) for $400 bucks on there. Got some good solar panels too.

But yeah, I get outbid on stuff sometimes too.

I also got some good wool blankets that keep us warm, and some electrical gadgets that have made my life easier.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 22:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
eBay - Endless pages of junk you are going to have to give away or throw away when you cut the docklines...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 02:37   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy View Post
Well, I finally went onto eBay and found this intersting little snatch block ...
maybe the buyer thought it was used for something else....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 03:44   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I rarely get outbid on e-Bay. I'm what's called a "sniper". I'll wait till the closing seconds and bid my maximum leaving no time for anyone else watching to respond. This strategy doesn't violate any e-Bay policies and it works. For those that bid a lot on e-Bay there's a service called "eZsniper" that'll do it for you. Set your max bid and let it do the work. It'll bid for you in the closing seconds of an auction. I've used it when I can't be around to bid manually.

It pays to know what something is worth that you're bidding on. In your e-Bay home page you can click the link to "View Similar Items" and e-Bay will show you the same or similar items and what they're going for. I've found a few bargains this way and avoided paying too much for some others. I also google online retailers to see what somethings worth. For antiques or novelty items this rarely works though.

There are also e-Bay listings that show you auctions ending soon, these will show items that have slipped under the radar of other bidders. I've found and snatched quite a few deals from these listings. You can usually find the link to "items ending soon" on the main e-Bay home page. Inversely you can also select "items just listed" for stuff that's just been put up for auction. I've also scored a few deals there by snatching up stuff before others see it. They have to have "buy it now" listings for that to work otherwise you have to watch the entire auction tick down.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 03:58   #7

Boat: Beneteau 473
"It pays to know what something is worth that you're bidding on."

I think its imperative you know the retail price otherwise you will end up playing around on the computer for 3-7 days then waiting for the item to ship only to later discover you could have bought it locally for a little or a lot less.

When I see a marine item I search it at online marine outlets like Defender and WM, assuming its a common or modern piece of gear.
Based on the price there I determine the highest price I'll bid.

I was recently surprised. There was a new, "in the box" SEATEL tv antenna on ebay and I wound up getting it for nearly half the retail price including the shipping.
If not for the price I would never have bought it.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 04:30   #8

Boat: Cal 25 - Dalliance
I bought a complete dacron lineset for my mutineer on eBay for $49.00. And it's color coded. Main is white with blue braid, jib is white with green, spin is white with red.

And I swear I don't have OCD...
Old 25-09-2008, 04:49   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I looked for a sextant on Ebay for a few months. I figured there couldn't be that many or that desired. Boy was I wrong, after sifting though the novelties there are at least a dozen new offers each week on sextants and they get bid up days before and bid up high. Even those cheap Davis plastic starter ones go for about what you can buy one new for.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 05:31   #10

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
FWIW, I've done nearly 500 transactions on Ebay, both as a buyer and seller. It does require patience. It took me a couple years to finally get my night vision and image stabilized binoculars. Other stuff I bought while outfitting my boat were Richie Globemaster Compass, Link 2000, 2 Fortress anchors, 15hp outboard, AirX wind generator, Alpine stereo & Bose speakers, flat screen LCD TV, Ritchie electronic compass, just to name a few. Most all items were brand new in box or, like the outboard motor, current model year, barely used. I even bought my last street rod (32 Ford Hi-Boy roadster) on the site. All of the aforementioned items were bought for a fraction of what they would normally sell for.

I recently purchased an Engel frig/freezer as well. Needless to say, I'm a fan of Ebay.
Old 25-09-2008, 05:54   #11

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I missed a pair of Stabilized binoculars on ebay (Fujinon 14x40) early this year. I got the watch email late in the day and they had a buy it now for $350, of course it had sold. That is the kind of deal you can find. I did get a color Raymarine Chart Plotter Radar display for $205 by checking just before going to bed one night. And did get some Nikon Stabileyes for $570, man are those great to look through. So Jay did you get those Stabilized binoculars in march?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 06:04   #12

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
No, I got my Nikon 14x40's last year.....and boy, do we love em!
Old 25-09-2008, 09:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I rarely get outbid on e-Bay. I'm what's called a "sniper". I'll wait till the closing seconds and bid my maximum leaving no time for anyone else watching to respond.
Rick,
Thats exactly how I got my Laser. I sniped it at the last second. Another guy tried the same thing...I out sniped a sniper.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:14   #14
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Rick,
Thats exactly how I got my Laser. I sniped it at the last second. Another guy tried the same thing...I out sniped a sniper.
Yeah it works. I've been duped by e-Bay a few times requiring me to re-login and running out of time on the auction. That's one of the reasons I went to eZsniper. Still you gotta know what your max bid is and there's always a chance it won't be 'nuff.

Delmarrey and myself picked up some nice portlights from Minney's Surplus on e-Bay for a song (think he's doing a write-up on the refit). I've been looking for unique bits of hardware, cleats, hawse pipes etc. and have scored some nice stuff cheap. (but be careful and read the shipping carefully).
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 11:07   #15

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
I have had tremendous luck on EBay. Monday, I bought a new never installed, 3 burner Force 10 stove/oven/broiler for $374 including $99 shipping on a buy it now! been waiting for the right deal for at least 9 months though! I agree with knowing my highest bid and waiting til' the last few seconds, mostly I win but I have no regrets if I don't.
Jim
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote