Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 10:06   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Our Dinghy "Flo" Saved the Mothership Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
These folks were actually anchored quite far from me. They dropped anchor around 10am near the shore, and the collision happened around 4pm maybe 300 meters from that point. They weren't even on my radar of boats to watch out for.

The surprising thing was that the owner had plenty of time to react, but didn't know how to start his own engine. He'd been relying on the hired help to do everything for ten years.
Starting the engine, heaving anchor, stuff like that should be taught to EVERYONE who is crew, long term guest, or owner. Basic MOB recovery, too. Thats what happens when only one man knows anything about operating the vessel, and he is ashore, or in the water, or incapacitated or dead. Not insisting that the owner learn the basics was VERY IRRESPONSIBLE and inexcusable. That owner and that captain both deserve that hole punched in the side of their boat. 10 years is enough time to learn a lot of stuff.

Good work with the dink. Good thing you were so "overpowered", too.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:09   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
You know what they say about fairy tales and sailing stories. One starts off with "Once upon a time..." whereas the other starts off with "No sh!#, there I was, thought I was gonna die..."

Glad it worked out for you, with minimal damage and no injuries.

-David
The other part of the comparison. A fairy tail ends with "and they all lived happily ever after" while a sea story ends, "and he ain't been right, since."
Old 07-07-2017, 10:13   #48

Quote:
The same thing today, only this time a 65ft Sunseeker with the crew onboard. The boat anchors 300 meters away near the beach, little to no wind, the next thing I know they're less than fifty feet off the bow then fifty feet off the port side. Same time of day. It's a huge empty anchorage, OMG it's like my boat's a magnet. I don't understand how they can be dragging... wind is maybe only 2 knots at most.

There must be an area with bad holding up by the beach, I'm thinking that a change in scenery might be a good idea for tomorrow.
That is not a lucky anchorage for you, that's for sure.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:27   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
That is not a lucky anchorage for you, that's for sure.
It's like that stupid Robert Redford movie where he's becalmed with no wind when attacked by a wayward shipping container.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:21   #50

Boat: Lagoon 42

Over the July 4th weekend my family and friends were on the boat in Long Beach (Shoreline Village) where the big mod 70 trimarans were docked for the transpac. The crews of LoeReal and Phaedo asked to use the dingy to access some difficult to reach parts of the boat and eventually to help them on and off the dock. We were taking earlier about Phadeo's record run to Hawaii and then when the crews got the kids involved and gave them tours of the boat they got a huge kick out of it, they were a great group of guys.

Nothing quite so harrowing as your experience but just appreciating what those dinks can do, from saving the boat to simply adding to the experience.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextis12 View Post
Over the July 4th weekend my family and friends were on the boat in Long Beach (Shoreline Village) where the big mod 70 trimarans were docked for the transpac. The crews of LoeReal and Phaedo asked to use the dingy to access some difficult to reach parts of the boat and eventually to help them on and off the dock. We were taking earlier about Phadeo's record run to Hawaii and then when the crews got the kids involved and gave them tours of the boat they got a huge kick out of it, they were a great group of guys.

Nothing quite so harrowing as your experience but just appreciating what those dinks can do, from saving the boat to simply adding to the experience.
We love Shoreline Village kept our Hunter there for two years and I gew up in Huntington Beach. We go back anually to visit and enjoy the happy hour sliders at The Yardhouse.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:56   #52

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Shoulda, coulda, woulda.... yadda, yadda, yadda.

People seem to be wired two different ways, some more timid like you, and others who seem to be less risk adverse. I prefer the way I'wired.

There's no right way, I just thought some might enjoy the story rather than pick it apart at their computer.
Not my computer, it's my tablet while sitting in the cockpit at anchor in an out island in Fiji. The entertainment of your heroic deeds is just that, entertainment. And your manliness to take risks is just awe inspiring for us who have not made it to the wilds of the Mediterranean.
Old 07-07-2017, 13:03   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not my computer, it's my tablet while sitting in the cockpit at anchor in an out island in Fiji. The entertainment of your heroic deeds is just that, entertainment. And your manliness to take risks is just awe inspiring for us who have not made it to the wilds of the Mediterranean.
Don't read my posts next time if they bother you so much; I assume nobody's forcing you.

Or better yet.... don't be afraid to put me on your ignore list.
Old 07-07-2017, 14:02   #54
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32

I'm still wondering how a Container Ship collides with a Destroyer off Japan - both fully crewed and in a relatively busy area. Stuff happens but then "holy stuff", stuff happens.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 14:09   #55

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Don't read my posts next time if they bother you so much; I assume nobody's forcing you.

Are you kidding and miss the opportunity to get the latest medical advice for onboard living - like wash your eyes out with acetone. Some people are just poster children for what not to do. Using your body to stop an 85 ft boat is one of them.
Old 07-07-2017, 14:31   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
I don't understand how they can be dragging... wind is maybe only 2 knots at most.
The "Photos of anchors setting" thread pretty much answers that. It's the patented anchor technique of dumping a cheap Delta clone plus 600 feet of chain and rhode in a giant heap while still moving slightly forward, then killing the engine and fixing a drink.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 14:59   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
The "Photos of anchors setting" thread pretty much answers that. It's the patented anchor technique of dumping a cheap Delta clone plus 600 feet of chain and rhode in a giant heap while still moving slightly forward, then killing the engine and fixing a drink.
It's a sandy bottom, I went down yesterday to pick a dropped tool. Excellent holding like beach sand.

I think you're right.
Old 07-07-2017, 15:09   #58

Or, "The anchor hit the bottom, that's enough chain."

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 15:26   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Or, "The anchor hit the bottom, that's enough chain."
I've seen that done many times.
Old 07-07-2017, 16:01   #60

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
See Paul, even Kenomac has some good advice now than then
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy