Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 14:12   #151

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Re: Orcas have destroyed our rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
Idiotic statements like this one are why we have endangered species...the arrogance to make the determination that the Orcas need to be exterminated because they damaged a rudder.
BTW... WE are the intruders in their habitat.
If anyone needs to be culled it's the narrow minded people that believe they have the right to determine the fate of others...
How many vessels steam over manatees, Orcas, whales.... paybacks are a bitch.
It’s our ocean too. We have a right not to be attacked. We’re not attacking the orcas, THEY’RE attacking us.
Old 16-08-2021, 15:44   #152

Some of the comments in this thread reminded me of this:

Why so much vitriol on this forum lately?
Old 16-08-2021, 17:39   #153
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Some of the comments in this thread reminded me of this:

Why so much vitriol on this forum lately?
Ironically, whenever people start to "Moralize", vitriol is not far behind.
Old 16-08-2021, 17:40   #154

True, I guess.
Old 16-08-2021, 19:00   #155

Always funny to hear this " save the planet" BS. Dont worry, even should every nuclear device be detonated tomorrow.....the planet will still be here.

It'll just evolve, as it always has and always will.

Dont get me wrong, I am pretty damn good about not tossing oil in the water, trash on the ground etc etc etc. I even bring my recycle able trash all the way back from Honduras on my boat to put it in the blue bins instead of it being burnt on the island.

However, I have a fiberglass boat, solar panels made from bauxite likely mined in south america and smelted in some dirty factory spewing toxic chemicals into the air.....yup, thats the truth of it. So yeah, I am responsible for pollution, plenty of it if it were to be honestly thought about.

But as far as destroying the planet, na, thats just idiotic. So if these guys had leaned over the side of their boat and plugged a couple of one ounce shotgun rounds into those fellows, huh, what of it?

Not the nicest thing to do but seriously....what of it?

I get the arrogance of thinking everything happens because of humans but really, is there no limit? Next thing will be everybody on the band wagon with Danny Glover saying that the earthquake in haiti (the last one, a while back) was because of global warming.

Ok, back get back on your high horses , or plastic sailboats with aluminum , diesel, iron .....did I mention plastic....and get angry at anyone who causes more polution than you do......the amount that you produce is OK of course.....BUT NO MORE THAN YOU!!!! Thats just not cool.

Oh, ignore all I have said if darth vader shows up with his death star.....ok, then the planet is kaput.
Old 16-08-2021, 19:04   #156

I think Orcas are pretty cool. But, then, I've never had one try to murder me. Maybe if that happened, I wouldn't think they were so cool, either.
Old 16-08-2021, 19:14   #157

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think Orcas are pretty cool. But, then, I've never had one try to murder me. Maybe if that happened, I wouldn't think they were so cool, either.
Please don't even write such a thing as "if they try to murder me" as that was not and is not the case, neither in Spain nor anywhere else on this planet of ours:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale_attack

"In the wild, there have been no fatal recorded attacks on humans."

If you think that article is wrong, go ahead and correct it with _facts_, please.

https://www.timantra.net
Old 16-08-2021, 19:46   #158
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Please don't even write such a thing as "if they try to murder me" as that was not and is not the case, neither in Spain nor anywhere else on this planet of ours:

If you think that article is wrong, go ahead and correct it with _facts_, please.
The only recorded incidents of Orcas killing humans have been in captivity, but it is not ridiculous to consider that an Orca could easily take out a swimmer or diver without anyone ever being aware
Old 17-08-2021, 07:09   #159

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
You keep asking the same question, answer isn’t going to change. If attacked, doesn’t matter if it’s a mosquito, dog, killer whale or human ramming your boat, you have s right to defend yourself.
"Rights" are defined by laws. If it aint in the applicable code and is not defensible by a legal system then you dont effectively have that "right". Philosophically you may feel that you should, but that doesnt hold up well in court.

In this case, killing or harming a protected species isnt going to play out well.
Old 17-08-2021, 08:06   #160

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
"Rights" are defined by laws. If it aint in the applicable code and is not defensible by a legal system then you dont effectively have that "right". Philosophically you may feel that you should, but that doesnt hold up well in court.

In this case, killing or harming a protected species isnt going to play out well.
We created the laws out of our benevolence. We are the ones who decided they're protected or not. We created those laws to protect them from hunting and other unnecessary killing. We didn't create a law saying we can't defend ourselves from wild beasts attacking. That's just not a protection we gave to the orcas. No one is talking about going around just killing whales and orcas, we're talking about selectively culling a few orca who are putting humans and their boats in danger. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Old 17-08-2021, 10:22   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
I don’t destroy planets or just randomly attack people and their boats. Unlike these vicious beasts, I’m not running around destroying boats and putting lives at risk. They need to be culled ASAP.
I guess it is the American way if you trespass on my property I will shot you. Well you are trespassing on there property. So guess they should chew ur rudder.
Old 17-08-2021, 11:57   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartGib View Post
I guess it is the American way if you trespass on my property I will shot you. Well you are trespassing on there property. So guess they should chew ur rudder.
Hardly only an American thing. Since most the "lets kill Orcas" crowd seems to be in the Mediterranean. You've not been many places around the world would be my guess but it makes you feel superior to denigrate a great country, despite it's weak pathetic woke government of today. Go look at africa if you want to see no regard for life. Better yet go vist Kabul, Afghanistan. This whole site has become a nasty little thing indeed. Loud mouth idiot's running their gums from their safe space, not a one would dare yap like a dog face to face.
Old 17-08-2021, 12:22   #163
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Jeepers.

The Spanish are approaching this correctly. Safety first suggests the temporary exclusion zone for small boats is the correct initial move.

I suspect plans are afoot to deal with the pos of the events repeat when the exclusion zone is lifted.

As to how you “ defend “ yourself from a killer whale I’m laughing at that one. ( a vision of “ Dirty Harry “ beckoning an orca )
Old 17-08-2021, 12:56   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Hardly only an American thing. Since most the "lets kill Orcas" crowd seems to be in the Mediterranean. You've not been many places around the world would be my guess but it makes you feel superior to denigrate a great country, despite it's weak pathetic woke government of today. Go look at africa if you want to see no regard for life. Better yet go vist Kabul, Afghanistan. This whole site has become a nasty little thing indeed. Loud mouth idiot's running their gums from their safe space, not a one would dare yap like a dog face to face.
Been many a country. And yes they have gone woke but so it appears has the whole world. And yes I would still say it face to face.

But we diverge from the topic which is Orcas.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:05   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post

You have convinced me not to make any more attempts at humor on this forum.

And, I bet you wonder why you never get invited to parties.

Tags
rudder