Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23   #1
Ktz

Boat: Lagoon 380, Lagoon 450, Dufour 525
Opinions About the Right Boat !

Hi, this is my first post!
I am thinking of participating the World ARC rally, which is around the world rally
held every two years. I think that it is a good way to make the first circunmavigation as it provides safety and remove the stress and uncertainty. My basic concern right now is picking the right vessel in terms of safety and comfort for two. I own a comet45s with carbon mast and racing setup (2,70m draft with bulb keel).
As I see it, I have two options:
1) go with the current boat an make all the necessary modifications, install a watermaker, radar, ssb, maybe a gen etc.
or 2) sell it and buy a pure "bluewater cruiser"
in the same budget, which will be more confortable and less demanding. Maybe a used catamaran 42'-44'...

I would be glad to hear your opinions!
Ktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 13:50   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Opinions about the right boat!

How many crew do you plan to have onboard? Do you feel comfortable handling your boat with just two as crew? If so, what is it about your boat that you are uneasy about? It seems like you'd be better to take the boat you have and add what you feel is necessary.
Old 12-11-2011, 14:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Opinions about the right boat!

Heck of a draft though.... ideally 5ft-5ft 6" is best else he'll miss out on a few nice area's.... thats in a mono...
Cat would be the most comfortable... and open more grounds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 14:21   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

As you say the boat is set up for racing. While you could alleviate some of it's short-comings as a cruiser, they would not have been eliminated.

Perusing Yachtworld.com I noticed that for about what you could sell the Comet for, you could buy a Sundeer 56 which was designed specifically for cruising by a couple. The boat would likely be easier to handle, and possibly faster. Certainly it would be more comfortable.

If your budget could stretch some look at a Sundeer 60.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 15:26   #5
Ktz

Boat: Lagoon 380, Lagoon 450, Dufour 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
How many crew do you plan to have onboard? Do you feel comfortable handling your boat with just two as crew? If so, what is it about your boat that you are uneasy about? It seems like you'd be better to take the boat you have and add what you feel is necessary.
Thank you for your reply!
We will be a couple. I am uneasy about:
- the big sail area and heavy loads
- its quite difficult to reef by two (I will need at least lazy jacks)
- the deep keel will make it difficult in many places
- the lightweight could be unconfortable in occasions

on the other hand it is very fast in light winds and provide good stability.
Ktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 15:48   #6

Boat: Oyster 53

This is an interesting question because, yes, this boat can take you around the world. You have a slick and fast boat and you obviously care about performance. How will you feel about her performance once you load her up with the necessary cruising gear? That stuff weighs a lot and with a displacement of only around 25,000 lbs you will be adding another 10-15% in weight which will impact the performance you currently enjoy.

If you are cruising long distances offshore as a couple your wife/partner may surprise you with sudden "requirements" that you think are unnecessary. Mine did! Make budgeting and weight allowances for that.

Buying a heavier and slower boat that may be more comfortable but it is an expensive option and you won't like the "performance." I would stick with what you have and go. With a proper offshore dodger and bimini and working autopilot (bring a spare) you will be fine. Reefing the big main just takes practice. Make sure you have the ability for a third reef. You can always bend a smaller main on or just keep her in the first reef for offshore work. We usually put in the first reef at night when offshore on our Tayana 52. It helped take stress levels down.

Enjoy.

Dhillen
Old 12-11-2011, 18:02   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

My boat would be perfect for your purpose - 60,000+# displacement carrying 2 tons of fuel and water, off-shore equiped, capable of being handled by two, fast and most importantly - comfortable. And its for sale as we have moved back ashore after 7 years of cruising. Designed by Bill Dixon, built by Ta Shing this Taswell 58 cutter is capable of safe world cruising. Its not cheap but is offered by David Walters Yachts at half of its original price.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 03:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ktz.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:20   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktz View Post
Thank you for your reply!
We will be a couple. I am uneasy about:
- the big sail area and heavy loads
- its quite difficult to reef by two (I will need at least lazy jacks)
- the deep keel will make it difficult in many places
- the lightweight could be unconfortable in occasions

on the other hand it is very fast in light winds and provide good stability.
Ktz,
-The heavy loads are an interesting point. Since your boat is lightweight and fast sailor, the loads in many cases are less than on heavy, more classic boat. You need far less sail area to perform reasonably in a cruising environment. That might mean that you regularly use the 1st reef in the main and sail with a blade. You will still be going faster than 90% of the other boats out there, but the loads will not be that high. Think low wetted surface.
-You can set up excellent reefing and easy to use reefing system for your boat -- at a far less expense than selling and buying another. Find a rigger you trust, and walk through all the possible reefing options and scenarios.
- not sure what your draft is, or is it draught? There are certainly places that you are limited by 7 foot draft, like the Bahamas. But on the route you are currently planning, the draft does not limit many places, and will make the boat better at sea.
-yea, yea, you will be uncomfotable at times. This is true for any boat under 60 feet. But you have some waterline, if you keep the boat speed down in rough weather, then you will be fine.
-When working with a rigger, I would also setup one (maybe 2), power winch that can be used on the mainsail halyard and during reefing.
Old 13-11-2011, 08:51   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Opinions About the Right Boat !

From experance, the weight issue is not a concern.. figuring the crew you had while racing and what it was designed for... many were designed for rail meat of 6 plus a working crew of 4 and yourself.. thats rougfhly 10 people at 200 pounds each you wont have on the boat.. thats 2000 pounds of stores...
and ours settled down a bit once we got some weight in her and handled great...
I'm a fair weather sailor and not really one to like a storm.. ours gives us the performance to get out of the nasties when needed.
But the boat itself was designed to take the rigors of all out racing and really stressing the rig and hull to the max. this is something you wont come close to while cruising.
My only concern would be of the fin.. If its robust enough to take the continus movement of the hull at the joint..
some of the designs with a bulb lacked a little where its bolted on..
Ours has a foot print of about 18 inches wide and about 10 feet long but I have seen some fins bolted from a plate only 6 to 8 inches wide and 3 feet long..I'd have to second guess them
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 00:53   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,just completed the same process,not to sail around the world,just accross the Atlantic.My C&C 36 won't get it done not for strength but for room,When crusing the Bahamas for a month at a time now I realized the gear we carry,sailing accross the pond will increase the gear,and the comfort factor just isn't there looking at 40 to 45 ft boats meant for the job.A sailor once told me Pointy ends go fast Blunt ends Last
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 18:05   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

Casual has a good point: room. Raceboats are often short on stowage. We went transatlantic on an Ohlson 38 with six on board. It had quite a bit of stowage space, but we still had bread for the trip stacked in the pilot berth because there was nowhere else to put it. It's not just gear, but food takes up space too. Our extra water went under the berths in flexible pouches, and we were down on our lines by about six inches when we headed out. A Sundeer would be nice, but a boat you know can be a good thing too.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote